Saturday 18 July 2009

Go Green

For lunch I will make besan ki roti
( spicy chapatis made with gram or chick pea flour)
to be accompanied with a hot chutney
comprising of garlic and red chili.
The rotis are spread with home made butter called ghee.
Mother does not care for these so i will
bottle gourd with potatoes for her.
These greens are called
chaw-la-yee. I don 't know the English name.
They are growing in my garden.
I made them with onion and cumin.
Plants fresh after the rain

We had a little rain this morning

Grateful for this much
The food prices are up 25%.
Yesterday I got onions and potatoes at a discount.

Today Nelson Mandela is 91 years old

11 Fertilize my soul:

Michelle said...

mmmmmm, I would like to try some of that! It looks good! :)

Felisol said...

Dear Amrita,
I enjoy wandering in your garden.
You have such a variety of delicious herbs and vegetables.
We also have rain today, and yesterday too.
In fact, it has been pouring.
Serina danced her rain dance on the terrace and now we are flowing over.

I read in our local newspaper that a man by the last name Singh had opened a restaurant in our little town.
I'll have to try it soon.
Have a blessed week end.
From Felisol

Paresh Palicha said...

Besan ki roti is what Big B makes for Amjad Khan in yaarana :) We Gujjus make a similar thing called Thepla without onions or garlic. You'll find it in every Gujjus's baggage even when they go to a foreign country.

Carol-Ann Allen said...

"Besan Coyote" may be an apt transliteration for this dish! Whew! It sounds very tasty but just hearing about the spice makes me wanna have a huge glass o' water!

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

I don't recognize those greens, Amrita, but they sure look interesting. I do recognize the lovely, papery blooms of crepe myrtle, though!

Kimmie said...

Lovely greens Amrita. Looks like everything is blooming beautifully in India.

We are very green here too. We have had a very rainy spring and summer here in New England. Honestly, we are tired of the rain. Last night we took the kids to the lake and as we got situated with our chairs, kids headed to the water, it began to sprinkle again...sigh.

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted

kostas said...

Dear Amrita I thank for the visits and the comments.
An operation in my right hand removed me from the keyboard for two weeks roughly, now is well also continues blogging.
Pass well and you are blessed!!

Louise said...

Beautiful photos, as usual, and the food sounds really good.

Simply Shelley said...

Hi Amrita,your dish looks very good. I love greens of all kinds..I very much enjoyed your trip to the book store.

Blessings,Shelley

Amrita said...

Hello friends.
Wow Felisol, Serina' s rain dance must have set you all in a good mood.

Yes Paresh besan ki roti is yummy with desi ghee. I have heard about the thepis, but never tried it.Doe you mum make khadi chawal?

Oh dead Carol-Ann, I know all the spices and chillies are very hot. There was a time I could not eat chillis too, but you know what - an ENT surgery cured me of my predicament and now I can have them. Strange.

Hi Penni, I really appreciate your botanical knowledge. Now i know what the flowers are called.

Dear Kostas, how are your bees doing?
Get well soon. Sorry to hear about your hand.

Danielle&Hannah said...

Hi Amrita,

That is so fresh, especially after the rain! Food prices are rising over here too. I am sure I do not understand what true 'price rises' are though. We are a plentiful nation in Australia. Lord let us be grateful for such as we have!

Hope you are well, take care,

Danielle