Tuesday 19 July 2011

Wisdom From India- Buddhism



Just  like  eating  pizza  with a  tandoori chicken topping,  post  modernism offers  a mish  mash mix  of  all  kinds  of  philosophies  served  in  a  viable and  attractive   form,  just  take   what  suits  you  and leave  the rest  sort  of   format. Here  east meets  west and  creates a new  color or  genre which  is  almost  foreign to  the  east  where  the  thinking  or  philosophy  might  have  originated.

Take  for  example the post modern  yoga  which  is  being marketed  to the  West by  techno  and  business savvy  gurus.It is  very  different  from  the  classic  yoga  as  it  is  known in India. And  so  it  is  with  the  other  religions   and  philosophies being  exported  for  western  consumption.

Noted  Indian philosopher,  author and speaker  of International  acclaim, Vishal  Mangalwadi , discusses  some  of  these  topics . I  will  share   some  of  his   short  videos.

I  am reading his  book called  The  book that   Changed  Your  World (see side bar).

7 Fertilize my soul:

Nadwrażliwiec said...

Yes, we in Poland have many Eastern religions, maybe Roman Catholic church is still power here, but many young people believe in many elements of Buddhism and Hinduism - for example reincarnation. Yoga is sometimes even tought in schools at physical excercises or is recommended by many doctors.
I had been done yoga before my conversion. But some evening after convertion I felt something bad with Yoga - and I stopped do it. I think it isn't normal physical excercise, it is spiritual issue.

Felisol said...

Dear Amrita,
I think the more we learn the greater will the confusion become.
The problem with for instance Buddhism is that people simply are knitting their own home-made belief, they pick something from here and other things from there and end up with total confusion.
It's so sad. Spiritual issues aren't a play tool for people. I can feel, very strongly too, the distance which is created once a person announces he believes in transmigration or other obscure solutions to religious questions.
When I ask "Where did the first soul come from, and how are they multiplying e.t.c." people become aggressive, and that is so sad.

I have not found much peace among people who call themselves Buddhists. Just a wish for rest for their tortured souls.

It is sad, really.

SM said...

be good to others you do not need anything extra

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Before I became born again I was leaning towards the teachings of Buddhism. But even during those times, I was aware of the contrast in the teachings of Buddhism and the word of God as contained in the Bible. I threw out all my Buddhist beliefs when I fully embraced the word of God and Jesus Christ. The most glaring differences of the two beliefs are as follows:
1. Buddhism teaches personal attainment of enlightenment to escape birth and rebirth and karma while Christianity teaches the grace of God to wipe away all sins after accepting Jesus Christ as Lord and savior.
2. Buddhism and Hinduism embrace polytheism or the worship of gods and demigods while Christianity worship only one God.
3. Buddhism believes in a series of birth and rebirths until one attains Nirvana while Christianity says, "It is appointed for man to die once and after that judgment" (Hebrews 9:27)

There are many more differences but the above differences are the major ones. Thanks for the post. God bless you always.

Amrita said...

Dear Zim, Felisol and Mel thank you for sharing your thoughts here. I really appreciate your input.

Amrita said...

Dear sm, welcome to my blog. I am intertested in the topics you discuss on your blog.

Amrita said...

In Feb, millions of rupees were discovered in the monastary housing the Karmapa Lama ( a Tibetan spiritual leader). Much o f it in foreign currency even illegal Chinese banknotes.

Recently some luxury cars were confiscated from a Bhutanense monastary in Shimla.

These monks are certainly not selling their Ferraris