Thursday 17 September 2009

Leap of Faith

On my rickshaw trips
I took pictures of various
places of worship
in my city.This is a small Hindu temple.
The free masons came to India
with the British.
There are quite a number of them
present in India.
Influential prosperous people.
An Anglo Indian free Mason (now living in UK) whose
pilot son was killed in a helicopter
crash in our church campus
about 38 years ago
approached us to let him build
a monument for his son on our church land.
We could not permit him.
He could embellish his son 's grave in the cemetery instead.


This is a Muslim shrine.
Mazar or grave of a Muslim saint.
People come here to pray and make offerings
hoping the dead Baba will sponsor their prayers.
(in the background is a Protestant English Medium School,
(K-12)

Here is another view of the mazar.
The dome is being repaired.
People visit various shrines and ask for mannats or wishes to be granted.
This is the Green Mosque

Not far from my house sits a roadside shaman,
or Baba.
He is a fortuneteller, soothsayer, exorcist and
wizard all rolled into one.
He has a little tent dwelling which I could not photograph.
Besides his occultic practices he is very
kind to stray dogs and feeds about
5 of them. The canines are very
faithful to him and guard him 24/7.
I have seen him feed a semi paralyzed dog with his hand.
For his consultation fees Baba asks for
liquor or opium.
He owns a fleet of rickshaws which
he rents out to drivers and receives a steady income.
His wife lives in another house not far from this place.
She sends him food etc.
He has 2 other girlfriends
who are his tent companions.
His wife doesn 't mind as they look after his needs.
He is 60 plus.
I got all this information from
our church helper, who drinks
tea at a tea stall near the Baba 's domain.

22So Paul, standing in the midst of the Areopagus, said: "Men of Athens, I perceive that in every way you are very religious. 23For as I passed along and observed the objects of your worship, I found also an altar with this inscription, unknown, this I proclaim'To the unknown god.' What therefore you worship as to you. 24 The God who made the world and everything in it, being. Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man, 25nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything. 26And he made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place, 27 that they should seek God, in the hope that they might feel their way toward him and find him. Yet he is actually not far from each one of us, 28for "'In him we live and move and have our being" Acts 17

Mars Hill or The Areopagus in Athens , Greece


A Man Fell Into A Hole - Watch

21 Fertilize my soul:

Sita said...

Hi Amrita,
Indeed a pictorial lesson on missions--how very relevant is the passage by Paul. The need is so great, isn't it?

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Oh, I like that wizard Baba who is so kind to the dogs. The little shrines and such are so interesting, too.

Here in my area, it is traditional for people to build a little shrine on the site of a death from an accident. You see many along the roadsides, by both Catholics and Protestants. It used to be just a Catholic thing. Many are along the railroad tracks where I like to watch trains, and sometimes I straighten them up if things have fallen over or flowers have come loose.

Donetta said...

wow that is a very good post! Well done my friend and I just loved that video too

Donetta said...

The kids watched it with Steve and I and Dove sorta got it...it was God she said. Daddy man said "It was Jesus"

Felisol said...

Dear Amrita,
TO read your stories and see your pictures is like being midst in an exotic novel.
One might ache for many many searching and striving to find a road to salvation.
The knowledge of eternity he has placed in the hearts of every living soul.
search and ye shall find.
Not a God unknown, but the living, loving creator of all life.
From Felisol

Amrita said...

Thank you for talking to me friends. In my country various belief systems exsist side by side.

Yesterday the Hindus had Vishwakarma Pooja. THe god of metal implements and tools is worshiped. So everyone involed in the trade and use of mental instrumenta even working on machnes as in factories - plumbers, repairmen , mechanics, engineers etc, took a day off to worship their tools. In some places it is a big lavish affair.

Today is the last Friday of the Ramadan month for Muslims, so they have special prayers at mosques resulting in traffic restrictions because people say their prayers outside in the street in front of the smaller mosques, which have no room inside to accomodate them.
This afternoon as I returning home from a job, I came across such a barricade in front of the Green Mosque.

madison said...

Very informative post.

Simply Shelley said...

Hello dear Amrita,I find your part of the world so interesting...I am thankful you share it with us. I am sad for all those who worship strange gods and do not know the true and living Savior of the world...thanks too for sharing this wonderful video

Amrita said...

I hope I am not boring you. But tonight at the Friday fellowship meeting I found out that the Hindu navratras are begining tomorrow. Nine days of fasting and poojas. Goddess Durga is worshiped, lots of black magic abound. Pray for protection.

Kathryn said...

It is interesting & very colorful to see how different is your way of life. As Penniwig mentioned, it is now common to put a small remembrance or shrine where someone had died, usually in a car accident.

With so many different religions there, is intolerance or persecution of one group by another common?

Thank you for sharing. I wish i could send you some peaches. Afraid they wouldn't be much good by the time they reached you.

David Edward said...

shalom, and God's love to be showered upon you and your family.
The pictures and explanations are wonderful. I studied a tourism guide for your city today. May my small prayers on your behalf bear fruit for God's kingdom.

Gigi said...

Dear Amrita...THANK YOU for your encouragment this morning...it really did touch me deeply...THANK YOU

David C Brown said...

"The true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and truth". I've said before that there is something special about gathering with believers on the Lord Jesus in the midst of heathens; there is something special for God in it.

N Abram said...

Hi Amrita, at last the week-end and I have enjoyed reading your last blog as usual. I have been so busy in my new school and neglected to write recently! May the Lord bless you in abundance. x

Anonymous said...

Another cool ride of your city through these lovely pics & nice reading!

Amrita said...

In India memorials are errected for saints , politians or outstanding people usually, although others can also build them.

Buildings are also dedicated in the memory of loved ones.

Hi Nicky thanks for your visit.

Today the Hindu Navratras begin.

On Monday Sept 21 the Muslims celebrate Id, which is the culmination of a month long period of Ramadan fasting.

From Sept 24 -28 there is Durga Pooja for Bengalis and Hindus.

Hi Kathryn, people ususally live in peace and harmony with each other, but there are incidents of religious riots , persecution and ill- feeling .
Christians have suffered a lot. Earlier there was a report on TV of a church burned down in Bangalore.

Amrita said...

Really David Schmidt, how did you find Allahabad.

Its an old British town and hindu pilgrimage center.

Roo said...

you are such a blessing amrita!

Sincerity said...

Amrita: Thank you for sharing your life with us readers. I will pray today and through the nine days that God gives you, your mother, and those faithful in your church protection from the evil one.

My heart aches for all those souls so lost and so deeply yearning for hope and relief. May God save as many as possible.

Also, I will pray for the Baba that lives so close to you. It is so sad that so many live their lives believing that they can control their own fates.

I loved the scripture you quoted and I love the video. MAy God bless you and may you feel his presence near you in these next days.

Pat said...

Another very informative blog. Your pictures are always so good. As I pray for you and your mother, I always make mention that Greater is he that is within you, then he that is in the world!! Praise the Lord for that assurance!

JO said...

Great post! Thank you for taking us along for the ride with you!