Monday 21 September 2009

Name this plant

A lady gave these 2 branches from this plant.
She doesn 't know its name, but
believes it is a native of West Africa.
Does anyone know its name?


It can stay green without water for a week.
The tablecloth is my mother 's handiwork.

Today is the Muslim festival of Eid.
A Muslim lady came to see us with
her teenage grand daughter.
I took a photo of her
brightly hennaed hands.
*******************
Dear friends, I drew flack on a blog because I took a stand for righteousness and holiness.
And I apologized to the offended commentators not for my point of view but for stating it in strong words.
Most of the commentators including the blog author
hold the same view as I do.
It says in Romans chapter 1
16I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 17For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: "The righteous will live by faith."
(New Testament)

13 Fertilize my soul:

Dick said...

Never seen a plant like that I suppose we don't have them here, much tooooooooo cold.

David C Brown said...

If we stand for righteousness and holiness the world will always be against us, but the Lord Jesus will be for us. And that's what matters.

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Hi Amrita, how are you doin:)

This flower I saw in Malaisia, its a big flower , I don't remember the right name,I rmemeber that the flower is open for one day? Is that right? Only when its the same flower I mean...

The painted ( not permanent paint but with Henna) hands are also used by weddings-fro the bride- adn here in Holland we call the -marrocan- fest "sugar-fest"very important for riligieus people, We Dutch respect that.

very impressive post Amrita,
Hapy week wishes,

From JoAnn/Holland

Julie said...

I don't know what the plant is but it's neat. Love the photo of the hands.

Felisol said...

Dear Amrita,
You for certain do not need to apologize for anything.
You are a wonderful, brave and strong Christian, a minority in a
billion inhabitant country.
For sure you are writing wisely and nicely about your fellow citizens.
Freedom of preaching the gospel is a necessary part of being a Christian.
I find you are practicing the word with politeness and skill.
God bless you.
From Felisol

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi Amrita,
One can never be too over zealous for the Lord. You don't have to apologize to the offended party for making a stand for your belief. Just tell that person that it is your deep seated faith and belief and nobody can take that away from you. You can just tell that person that you can just respect each other's beliefs and points of view and leave it at that. I really do not know what that plant is. Never compromise your faith for the approval of other people. We maybe persecuted for our stand for the Lord but that is our fate. Did not the Lord warn us about this? I will pray for you dear sister in Christ that you will always be steadfast in your faith for he Lord especially in your country with so much religious intolerance. Thanks for the post. God bless you always.

madison said...

I've never seen a plant like that before. No water for a week, it would do well in my house, lol.
Love the henna on the hands. Always wanted mine done.
Never apoligize for your faith. It seems christianity offends so many people now days and the way I see it, that's their problem, not mine. At the end gets nearer, Christianity will offend more people, oh well. Nobody can take your faith from you.

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Halloo dearie. What an intriguing plant. I would like to have it growing here.

The tablecloth is lovely. I treasure the tatting from your mother. She is so talented with handiworks.

I do not care for the Eid festival. But how kind of you to not begrudge your visitors their enjoyment of it. Was the daughter excited to know she would appear on a blog read by many?

I do not know what happened or where you were when your wrist was slapped for your zeal. Poor Amrita! Have people no manners, no graciousness?

Buttercup said...

I don't know the plant either, but enjoyed seeing it.
Found it most rude that you were chastised. I enjoy coming to visit and find you are fervent in your faith, but always gracious to all.
Please stop by Buttercup's. I've posted a photo with you in mind.

Amrita said...

Thank you my dear friends for your comments and encouragement.

I did not apologize for my stand but for the strong words I used. I never back out from siding with morality.
And many other comments are along the same lines, even the blog author 's.
We should never make excuses for what is evil.
Prov 17;15 says;
15 Acquitting the guilty and condemning the innocent—
both are detestable to the Lord.


I remember Felisol, when I first 'met ' you , you encouraged me the same way.

Dear JoAnn, our friend will give me the plant 's bulb and we will see it grow and wait for the flower to bloom. I am looking forward to that.

We don 't celebrate Eid, but extend a hand of friendship towards who do. Everyone knows our stand but on a social level we exchange greetings.

Yes the girl was very hapy about her photo and she told her family about it.

Sita said...

Hi Amrita,
One thing I know about you is that you speak the truth with love and respect, without compromise. May God honour your courage like Daniel.
Love, Sita

Amrita said...

In the eastern hemisphere people generally equate western culture with Christianity, at least in India they do.
They don 't undertand that all white people are not adherents of Christianity.
When they see perversions in western society they get oppurtunity to wag a finger at us Christians and blame our religion for it.
This is not fair for the whole of mankind has fallen short of God 's glory and we are all sinners.
Our whole world is ridden with evil.
Its just that the enemis of God get an opurtunity to hurl 'stones ' at us.

Sita said...

When I worked with Indian international students while at university, it was quite apparent that they deemed Canada and its culture to be "Christian"...but anyone living here for any length of time with an understanding of Canada's culture know this to be quite untrue.
And yes, there are many 'stones' available to hurl at practicing Christians--an irrational hatred stemming from the one who hates all God's children. But what can man do to us? God is our Protector and perfectly capable of avenging His Name.
Be blessed, Amrita.