Tuesday 20 October 2009

Kuch Cook Hota Hai -Weekend Cooking

With festivities in the air
and Sonia 's 9th wedding anniversary on the 18th,
I made some special food to
regale Mummy and myself. This is beginning a Ziploc omelet.
Stir up veggies of your choice with cheese herbs etc with eggs
and pour it into a quart size Ziploc freezer bag.
Boil it for 15 minutes.

And voila!
Here your lovely oil free omelet.


These are dahi vadas.
Lentil dumplings soaked in
a yogurt sauce.


Matta Paneer which is a curry
with
peas and cottage cheese in a tomato based gravy.
Fresh green peas are too expensive
so I used the dried ones which are
soaked overnight.


And this is my very first pumpkin pie.
All my life I had been reading about this pie and
looking at its pictures and never tried baking it.
My bloggie friend PENNI sent me the spice mixture and the lovely autumn decorations you can see here and candy.
So I just had to bake my very first pumpkin pie from the scratch.
I cooked and pureed the pumpkin and baked
the pie shell.
It was fun and an anti depressant
as I was feeling low last weekend.

Thank you Penni for being my inspiration.
In the first photo you can see a B/W
photo of my parents
taken a day after their wedding.
This video I could entitle
Sheeba and the firecrackers.
Its not much of a video, just Sheeba barking at the crackers.




I took this video from YouTube it will give you an idea
of Diwali fireworks in an
affluent neighbourhood.



9 Fertilize my soul:

Julia Dutta said...

Oh the poor dogs get so frightened during this season and so many get heart attacks. I just read about the three affluent men of Reliance Industries who dropped their driver near Cooperage Hospital pavement because he was having a cardiac arrest and sped off in their Honda City to their Boss' house in Cuffe parade. Thank God, for the photo-journalist who was on hand and who took the driver into the hospital in time to save his life. The family of the driver said that his return from the hospital was the best Diwali gift they had received in their life!

Robin said...

Bless your heart Amrita, I always am so inspired by the simplest things you blog about. May you be revivied and encouraged today that your voice and your heart are touching many out in the world. Hugs~

Deb said...

Hello Amrita! Your native dishes look so good! I wish I could try them! Lentil dumplings in yogurt?...sounds very good! - and that curry/pea/cottage cheese dish...sounds good as well! I had two dear friends (before I got married and moved away) who are from India. Saritha used to make the most fabulous dishes! I miss her cooking! Great spices and things to excite one's taste buds for sure!

And congratulations on your very first pumpkin pie!! I made my first (and my LAST!) long ago when I was in college. Several of us girls got the idea to make a pie from scratch --it was good -- but it's much easier to open up a can of pumpkin!!

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Oh Amrita, you are such a doll! And how I love your wit.

I am glad you got to make a pumpkin pie at long last! I do love them but am unable to make a crust from scratch (that is edible, that is). My hat is off to you!

Julie said...

How did you like the pie? It's my favorite. All the food looks great.

Felisol said...

Dear Amrita,
The arrangement you made to honor your parents is beautiful.
You indeed are an affectionate daughter.
The egg omelet made in a plastic bag is a good recipe. I had forgotten my friend Turid taught me a similar way to solve the problem making egg omelet for 10 persons.
You should send the recipe over to the Scarf Sister's recipe book.
It's tasty, it's easy, it's made from scratch and also may well be served with cold, smoked lamb or pork.

I admire your ability to refurnish your site so often and so tastefully.
From Felisol

Buttercup said...

I'm coming to your house for dinner. The lentils looks so good and I never can resist pumpkin pie. We eat it a lot and one of my mother's favorite recipes was pumpkin ice cream pie. So delicious.

Amrita said...

Thank you my dear friends. Yes the pumpkin pie turned out real good.

Julia , that was such a cruel thing to do....obviously those men had no regard for human life.God really helped this poor man otherwise he would be dead. I told my mother this story.

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Hi Amrita,
Your foods and cooking looks very tasty, I would love to eat with you, Bon apetite! I like to see the picture of your parents too, greetings for your mom.

Greetings from JoAnn/Holland