Saturday 31 October 2009

Make Me A Channel of Your Peace


The spindle and desk of Gandhi in his Sabarmati
Ashram museum in Gujarat



I read a post by my blog friend SHERRI
and the prayer of St Francis came to mind.
I learnt this hymn as a child and sung
it in church and Christian meetings .
The words are the true essence of our faith
Sometimes when I receive a gift from
someone, my mother is quick to remind me
to either give it away or save it for so and so.
But I am selfish , I don 't
often do it.
When I got a bag of candy my Mom wanted
me to save it for others.
But I was too weak to do that.
It is my prayer that I
incorporate the words of this song
more fully into my life.
(the above photographs have been taken from the web)


A prayer of St Francis of Asisi
Make me a channel of your peace, Where there is hatred, let me bring Your love, Where there is injury, Your pardon Lord, And where there's doubt, true faith in You Make me a channel of your peace, Where there's despair in life let me bring hope, Where there is darkness - only light, And where there's sadness, ever joy Oh Master, grant that I may never seek, So much to be consoled as to console, To be understood, as to understand, To be loved, as to love with all my soul Make me a channel of your peace, It is in pardoning that we are pardoned, In giving to all men that we receive, And in dying that we're born to eternal life



12 Fertilize my soul:

Felisol said...

Dear amrita,
don't be so hard on yourself.
You certainly are a rare, unselfish Christian Lady.
You are even working for the church and taking care of your mother as well.
When you receive a box of candy, the good God sure think you deserve it.
I'm sure you would have given a needy child a piece if she stood by your side as you ate it.

I think you were so very good to the rickshaw giver, listening to him and sharing money and clothes in the name of Guru Jesus.

You already are a channel of his peace.
From Felisol

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

A wonderful and great wish for someone to become a channel of peace.
Let us not only pray to become a channel of God's peace but to also become a light of the world and the salt of the so that we can help in the transformation of man through the Gospel message of salvation. Thanks for the post. God bless you always.

Herrad said...

Hi Amrita,
Came by to say hello and wish you a good weekend.
Love,
Herrad

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Good gravy, Amrita!!! Don't be mean to yourself!!! You are so unselfish, and everyone must be take care of the self in order to truly be selfless!!! Yes! Gosh, didn't Jesus himself get mad at a fig tree, because he was hoping for some figs and it had none? And didn't he say something about "the poor we will always have with us," etc etc??? And let expensive ointments be put on his tired dusty feet? Yep. Remember, you cannot find the mouth of the mule that grinds the grain...not calling you a mule, m'dear...but trying to say, Give yourself little treats, don't feel bad, and don't feel bad not heeding your mother, she is expressing things from a very different age and place, and you are not that age nor come from that place! So there!

Kathryn said...

I so agree with the sentiments already expressed here. And as Penniwig said, God told them not to muzzle the ox (or animal working) so that they would have some of the benefit of their own labor. He doesn't call you to give away everything you have been given.

Your mother's attitude won't be changed, i'm sure. She comes from a generation of Christian folk who seemed to believe they were called to give all they had to others.

But when someone MAKES you do that, then it is just works. You give so much (not a little to all of us who read your blog) from your heart. Don't make it works by making yourself give what your heart is not ready to let go of.

I'm sure God smiles to see you enjoying some of the gifts folks want you to have. I know that it makes me smile to think that you are able to enjoy some of the things David sends you. I know you share much of that, but we like to think you receive some pleasure, too. :)

Debra said...

I've always thought that it was a beautiful prayer, did not know someone had made it a song as well! Thanks for sharing it!

Amrita said...

Thank you my dear friends for your kind words. My soul feels rested and I am humbled by your remarks.
Our Heavenly Father is giver of all good gifts.

Julie said...

What a beautiful prayer. Loved the photos.

JO said...

You are a kind soul... we are all human... God loves you so :)

David C Brown said...

We had an old brother who said,"It is more blessed to give than to receive - but it's awfie guid tae receive"! Freely ye have received - freely give!

Terry said...

another wonderful post amrita.
it reminds me of a hymn we quite often sing in the prayer meeting..thanks for all of your encouragement amrita!...i love you dearly...love terry

How I praise Thee, precious Savior,
That Thy love laid hold of me;
Thou hast saved and cleansed and filled me
That I might Thy channel be.

Refrain

Channels only, blessèd Master,
But with all Thy wondrous power
Flowing through us, Thou canst use us
Every day and every hour.

Just a channel full of blessing,
To the thirsty hearts around;
To tell out Thy full salvation
All Thy loving message sound.

Refrain

Emptied that Thou shouldest fill me,
A clean vessel in Thy hand;
With no power but as Thou givest
Graciously with each command.

Refrain

Witnessing Thy power to save me,
Setting free from self and sin;
Thou who boughtest to possess me,
In Thy fullness, Lord, come in.

Refrain

Jesus, fill now with Thy Spirit
Hearts that full surrender know;
That the streams of living water
From our inner self may flow

Crown of Beauty said...

I love this post about Mahatma Gandhi. So humble, such a man of peace. And I love this prayer by St. Francis. It is a prayer very much needed by the world today, my own prayer for my own life.

Lovely post... and of course when you receive a gift, it is meant for you, right, not to be given away. Maybe to be shared. Yes... that's more like it. But keep some or most of it for yourself.

Love
Lidj