Sunday 8 May 2011

Sunday Blessings -10 Reasons to believe in the Christian faith






Recently 3 people  from  my  church
entered  the  waters  of baptism
along  with  a large  group
at  a church  here.
It  was  a joyous  occasion
seeing  people take  a  positive  step of  faith.

In  this  morning 's  worship  service
I  shared 10 reasons to believe 
in the Christian faith.
Here  is  a  brief  outline based  on
a series  by  Radio Bible  Class.


10 reasons to believe in the christian faith…

1. The Credibility of Its Founder: Peter spoke for Jesus’ closest followers when he said, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. We believe and know that You are the Holy One of God.” (John 6:68-69)

2. Reliability of Its Book: The integrity of this historical and geographical record is supported by archeology. The Bible continues to speak not only with spiritual power but with convincing prophetic accuracy.

3. Explanations for Life: It is the Christian faith that reflects a caring attention to detail so evident in the species and ecosystems of the natural world. It is Christ who clothed himself in our humanity to feel what we feel and then to suffer and die in our place.

4. Its Continuity with the Past: The Christian faith offers continuity with our deepest ancestral roots. Those who trust Christ are accepting the same Creator and Lord worshiped by Adam, Abraham, and Solomon.

5. Its Foundational Claim: The first Christians were witnesses. They risked their lives to tell the World that with their own eyes they had seen an innocent man die and then miraculously walk among them 3 days later.

6. Its Power to Change Lives: Not only were the first disciples dramatically changed but so were their worst enemies. Paul was transformed from a killer of Christians into one of their chief advocates (Galatians 1:11-24)

7. Its Analysis of Human Nature: The Bible says that society’s real problems are problems of the heart. In an age of information and technology, failures of character have scandalized institutions of the family, religion, and the arts.

8. Its View of Human Achievement: Generation after generation has hoped for the best. We have conceived technologies that will deliver us from the oppressive slavery of work. Yet we are as close as ever to what the New Testament describes as the end times. (Matthew 24:5-31)

9. Its Impact on Society: From roof tops to necklaces to earrings, we see the sign of the cross, bearing visible witness to Christ’s death. Social relief agencies have been fueled by the direct or residual values of The Bible.

10. Its Offer of Salvation: No other faith offers everlasting life as a gift to those who trust the One who has overcome death for them. No other system offers assurance of forgiveness and adoption into the family of God

What  are  your  reasons to believe  in  your  faith?
Think about it.

21 Fertilize my soul:

Nadwrażliwiec said...

Praise the Lord! I'm always really happy when I see baptism of new member God's family :)
Before I had known Jesus Christ, I met many religions and ideologies. My grandparents are atheists (or agnostics), my mum was Lutheran, few years I was in the New Age. I read about Islam, Hinduism, Atheism and Buddhism. I read also about cults, like Jehova's Wittnesses. And that's my conclusion:
In every religion people must do something to be saved, go to heaven or experience nirvana. Even atheists tell that we MUST be good people, but they don't say why, if there is no God. In every religion people believe, that man must do some religious ceremonies or do good works, but nobody knows 1. how many works I must do to be saved/go to heaven etc. 2. nobody from other religions is sure, that these works will save us.
In Christianity it is differently. God loves people and want be near them. We don't have to make any ceremonies or acts to be saved - only God's grace save people. We can be sure of our Salvation, because it doesn't depends on my acts, emotions or going to the church. We don't have to make sacrifice - Jesus made it on the Cross. It is sure and nobody and nothing can destroy it.

Amrita said...

Dear Zim, your testimony give God the glory.

Christianity was not passed on to you as a tradition or custom, bu t you searched for the truth and discovered the reality of Christ personally.

you are right we are not saved by good works or our efforts, but only thru God' s grace and because of what Christ did for us on the cross

David C Brown said...

1) The attractiveness and glory of the Saviour;
2) The knowledge that God desires to be known as Father and desires me to one of His sons;
3) The gift of the Holy Spirit, Himself a divine Person, to dwell within me;
4) The fact that I am given a part in the great things of God.

That's just a start, of course!

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Amrita,

Ten reasons listed by you are good enough to be a Christian.

I am a Christian because my forefathers and my father were Christians. It has dome immense good for them and it has given me countless blessings for which I can never thank God enough in this life time.

This corruptible body housing our soul is only temporary. We have to die and leave this body for eternal life with God and HIS angels for everlasting bliss and peace.

This is a religion based on sacrifice and suffering for faith. The Disciples and many apostles give up their life defending their faith in Christianity.

Fabulous post.
Joseph

Anonymous said...

Great post....and all the comments are good too.....wonderful to see the baptism of new believers and so encouraging....
Religion= men trying to reach God

Christianity= God reaching down to man...

Felisol said...

Dear Amrita,
Your point # 10 would be my main reason.
There is no other name than Jesus Christ given under which we can be saved.

Amrita said...

Dear Bro. David, Mr Joseph, Dani and Felisol, thank you for sharing your thoughts here. Our faith is a personalized faith - a truth and reality we all have experienced first hand. Praise God for that.

John Cowart said...

Hi Amrita,

Here you have written one ofyour best posts yet!

I appreciate your succinct analysis of our faith. You hit the nail on the head.

John

Amrita said...

Dear John, thank you for your words of encouragement. You are such a wonderful author and your works have been published in leading Christian and secular publications. I enjoy reading your provocative an d inspiring posts.

Amrita said...

My target audience for the talk were the newly baptized believers and I was happy a young man from a differnt faith also attended -he is not a Christian but is interested.

JI said...

That's a good post Amrita. Good to see people receiving baptism. One more thing I would like to add is that in Christianity you can have a personal relationship with God. He is not a far removed and uncaring being, but actually lives in you.

I am Christian mainly because my parents are Christian, but that's not the only reason. I have looked at other religions too. Coming from a country like India, you are confronted by a wide choice! I think there are elements of truth in all religions but the fullness of truth is captured in Christianity. There are too many contradictions in the scriptures of other religions while the bible is remarkably consistent. For these reasons, the reasons you have listed here and others, its no wonder that Christianity continues to grow worldwide.

Mari Nuñez said...

Believing without seeing...knowing Jesus is our savior and that we have a loving father. Reason 2, Reliability of Its Book is my # 1 reason, we have all we need to know there. Each tome it reveals itself to be more true then anything else. Great list Amrita!

Kathryn said...

Hello, Amrita. :)

Hoping all is well with you there. I think my reasons for believing and struggling with belief are too complicated to write out here!

I pray you and your mother continue to manage well and that the coming hot season does not put too much burden on you.

Sending you hugs!

Hold my hand: a social worker's blog said...

Dear Amrita,
This is a great reflection. I especially liked the #6. I have felt its power to change lives, I have witnessed it as well.

It's so good to see people being baptized. Lovely pictures.

Amrita, thanks for stopping by my blog, and commenting on my stories. You are so sweet.

(((( Hugs to you and to your mom ))))

Doris

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

What more can I say? You already summarized them all my friend. God bless you more for spreading the Gospel message of salvation in your church. Thanks for the post. God bless you always.

Unknown said...

Beautiful, Amrita.
Our God changing the lives of those around the world...He is HUGE!!

I would like to ask your permission to share your photos and briefly on my blog what you wrote...the 10 Reasons to Believe the Christian Faith...

Much love and blessings!

Amrita said...

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts here, dear JI, Doris, Kathrybn, Mel, and Mari. Your close walk with God is very evident in your sharing. Dear Kathryn, I struggle in my walk with god too. And there was a time I turned my back to Him completely, until I heard Him speak to me very distinctly.

Strong faith does not run in a straight line It is more apt to jog up an d down Robert Browning in a moment of ecstasy wrote,"Oh the wild joys of living! the leaping from rock to rock. And he says some morning he felt like throwing rocks. What is th e amazing this - I am a child of god through every experience.

Amrita said...

De Anna, you are very welcome to take the photos and 10 reasons and share them.

Nikki (Sarah) said...

110%??? Yikes. that's hot!! About the pain..I pray for you to have relief. I recently pulled something in my shoulder and can hardly move it. The pain is awful so I have some idea what you're feeling.

David C Brown said...

I've put another response on http://dcbverse.blogspot.com/.

Amrita said...

Your poem is lovely David