Thursday 5 May 2011

Wedding Party

Today  is  my  sister Anjali 's wedding   anniversary.
Habib, the son of  the  baker who baked
her  wedding  cake  visited  us   today
after years and  years.
What  a  surprise!
I  told  him what  day  it  was and  how
it  was linked to his family
and he  was amazed.
He  was  a  young boy  then,
he  is  42  years old  he  said.

A wedding   party ( procession or baaraat)
was  passing  down our  street ,
so  I  went to  the  gate  to  take  pictures.
In  the  top photo you can see  the DJ van,
from where  the   loud  music emanates.
The   lighted umbrellas look  pretty.
These  people  were  getting  ready, waiting 
for  the  groom 's  family and friends  to  assemble.
I couldn 't  get  better  shots
because  I  did not  want  to 
catch  anyone 's  attention.


There  are lots  of  wedding halls
and  hotels  in  our  area.


These  pictures  are  blurry
as they  were taken with  a  mobile  phone.

Indians  enjoy loud, colorful,
ritual  laden weddings. The Royal  wedding  last week
was  a  big  hit  here.

This posh hotel is another
place  the  groom 's  party stays.
The  bride 's  family foots  the  bill.

The Jeevan Saathi Wedding Hall.

A cousin of  mine had  his
reception here some  years  back.

This  wedding  guest  house  is  a  stone 's  throw
from my  house.
Two big wedding halls flank it.
It gets noisy during  wedding  season.
Read  an  execellent  post
on  the  royal  wedding  on the
It  has  been  written by
Pastor  Mark Minor.

14 Fertilize my soul:

डा0 हेमंत कुमार ♠ Dr Hemant Kumar said...

Hello Amrita,
At first i will congratulate yo your sister anjali for her weding anniversary.Thanks for your comment on my blog...and i really liked your this post...this was just like attending any marriage party.Have you came to north india..in which city..or state?
Best wishes.
Hemant

Unknown said...

Amrita, you post is beautiful...and I skipped over to the link you suggested and enjoyed the pastors comments on the first wedding in the Garden of Eden...sigh indeed.
Here in the US, we do not have wedding processions like the one you shared a pic of...it looks so celebratory and festive...much like the ones Jesus speaks of in the scriptures.

Blessings and peace to you sweet friend...all the way for South Carolina USA!

Nikki (Sarah) said...

beautiful shots. I love that you give us a windown into your world. ☺☺

Anonymous said...

Weddings seem to be a big business in your area of the world. There is a city in the USA (Las Vegas) that has a wedding chapel on almost every corner. Sadly, people get divorced as fast as they get married around here :-(

Amrita said...

Hemant ji I live in Alld. not very far from Lko

Amrita said...

Hi De Anna, each culture has its own special wedding celebration. Many people in Asia are adopting the WQestern style feastivity.

Amrita said...

Hi Sarah, its my pleasure to show my blog guests my part of the world.

Amrita said...

Oh ye s mr Geezer I have seen the Las Vegas weddings on TV. In India too the divorce rate is going up

Amrita said...

I can add an interesting point here. These days the hindus observe Aksheya Trithi which are aupicious days to buy gold .

Nadwrażliwiec said...

Woow, it had to be great anniversary! I wish Your sister all the best on the next year of marriage!

Felisol said...

Dear Amrita,
India has such abundance of beauty and wealth side by side of the utmost poverty.
I find it interesting, but also a bit frightening.
Jealousy and envy must lay near where the differences are so great.
I hardly know any wealthy people and therefore I can go on living my simple life in contempt.
Simple, but relatively safe. maybe that is becoming a luxury nowadays?
from Felisol

So, I Begin this Journey...... said...

Hello,
What beautiful photos...thank you for sharing!
Hoping everything is going well with you~ have a great day!

David C Brown said...

"Therefore shall a man leave his father and mother and cleave to his wife" - that's God's standard. And it doesn't need too much fuss either - although it's a time to celebrate.

Buttercup said...

Happy anniversary wishes to your sister and brother-in-law. Always happy to see you stopping by Buttercup's.