Friday 16 March 2012

Listen to Ryan Pitman


Ryan Pittman's Touching Testimony from ourprecioussavior on GodTube.

For consider your calling, brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble; 27 but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong, 28 and the base things of the world and the despised God has chosen, the things that are not, so that He may nullify the things that are, 29 so that no man may boast before God. 30 But by His doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption, 31 so that, just as it is written, “LET HIM WHO BOASTS, BOAST IN THE LORD.”
1 Corinthians 1 (New  Testament)

True Humility
read›

Philippians 2:1-4
Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of
others as better than yourselves (v.3).

The story is told of a man who was so humble
that his city council decided to honor him with
medallion for his humility. A week after the award
ceremony, the award had to be withdrawn. Much to
the embarrassment of the council, the man had brashly
worn the medallion everywhere he went. This humorous
story reminds me of what mystery writer Helen Nielsen
once wrote: “Humility is like underwear, essential, but
indecent if it shows.” According to Bible teacher John
Stott, humility is “the rarest and fairest of all Christian
virtues.” It’s also the chief Christian virtue because it’s the
exact opposite of the worst of sins—pride.

So, is true humility possible? What does it look like?
In Philippians 2, Paul gives us a portrait of the humble
person. He presents four attitudes that help us understand
true humility—two negatives to avoid and two positives
to follow. Humble people . . .

• are not selfish (v.3). They do “nothing out of selfish
ambition” (v.3 NIV). They aren’t self-centered.

• do not “try to impress others” (v.3). They do “nothing
out of vain conceit” (v.3 NIV). They don’t seek glory for
themselves.

• are always “thinking of others as better than
[themselves]” (v.3). They see the great value in others.

• don’t “look out only for [their] own interests, but take
an interest in others, too” (v.4). They balance the needs
of others with their own needs.

To be humble, we need to move away from “self” to “others”—pursuing
lowliness (v.3) and helpfulness (v.4). Bible commentator Warren Wiersbe
succinctly summed it up: “The humble person is not one who thinks meanly of
himself; he simply does not think of himself at all!”

—K.T. Sim

more›
How did Jesus demonstrate His humility as revealed in Philippians
2:5-8?
next›
How would you grade yourself on how well you’re avoiding selfish
ambition and vainglory, while also thinking of others positively and
putting their needs before your own? What needs to change?

Source http://www.godtube.com/




8 Fertilize my soul:

Deb said...

I forgot to comment yesterday when I read your post. You have NO idea just how much the first line "For consider your calling..." spoke to my heart. :)
...as I am reminded of what the Lord has called me to do.

Amrita said...

Thank you for your precious comment Deb. I feel so too.

I think yesterday the video was not working, I have embedded it again, so you can watch this touching testimony too.

Just Be Real said...

This is the third blog I have come across with sharing Ryan's amazing testimony. Thank you once again for putting the video out there. Blessings.

Amrita said...

Hii Just Be Real, people like Ryan are my heroes, becasue I am differently abled too. Welcome to my blog. Please do cisit.

Amrita said...

Hii Just Be Real, people like Ryan are my heroes, becasue I am differently abled too. Welcome to my blog. Please do cisit.

Nadwrażliwiec said...

Amrita, I believe that Holy Spirit inspired us to write both about this same topic in similar time - humility.

Felisol said...

Dear Amrita,
I have been totally absorbed nursing my Mama, and neglecting my dearest blog friend. Thank you for talking well and wisely about the people who have a special place in my heart. I think they are God's chosen, and like you quoted from 1 Chor. are here to teach us something about how God values and ranks his beloved.
Yours Felisol

Mrs. Mac said...

The verse you quoted from 1 Cor. is my very favorite verse because it sums up the true way the world functions. This testimony brought tears to my eyes because of my son, Nathan with DS. Truly a gift.