Friday 5 March 2010

Ave Verum Corpus

Today, March 6th is my Dad 's 6th home going anniversary.
We had a prayer meeting in my home last night.
We miss Papa as we remember his life
and all the good times we had together.
Someone has said;
Death of a parent is the death of the past
Death of a husband or wife is the death of the present
Death of a child is the death of the future.
We miss Papa but not without hope,
because we know we will
be reunited at the throne of God.
I took a photo against the back drop of my Dad 's
meticulously handwritten sermon notes.
We all admired his neat and smooth flowing
handwriting.
Whenever he was asked to preach anywhere, he spent hours researching
and going over his notes
preparing himself thoroughly.
The photos are of him and my Mom
at a summer camp in the hills.
----------------------

Philippians 1:20-23According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death. For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not. For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better
.2 Corinthians 5:6-8 Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord (For we walk by faith, not by sight). We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him.
Finally Home
When alarmed by the fury of the restless sea,
Towering waves before you roll,
At the end of doubt and peril is eternity,
Though fear and conflict seize your soul
Just think of stepping on shore, and finding it heaven
Of touching a hand, and finding it God's
Of breathing new air, and finding it celestial
Of waking up in Glory, and finding it "Home"
When surrounded by the blackness of the darkest night,
Oh how lonely death can be,
At the end this long tunnel is a shinning light,
For death is swallowed-up in Victory,
(Victory!)Just think of stepping on shore,
and finding it heaven Of touching a hand, and finding it God's
Of breathing new air, and finding it celestial
Of waking up in Glory, and finding it "Home"
Finally Home! ...by Don Wyrtzen

Here is beautiful choral music by Mozart in the memory of my Dad.
I have sung this during Easter time.
Ave Verum Corpus

Ave, verum corpusnatum de Maria Virgine
Vere passum immolatumin Cruce pro homine,
Cujus latus perforatumunda* fluxit (et)* sanguine,
Esto nobis praegustatumin mortis examine.
Hail,true body born of the Virgin Mary,
Who truly suffered, sacrificed on the Cross for man,
Whose pierced side overflowed with water* and blood,
Be for us a foretaste**In the test of death.

13 Fertilize my soul:

Felisol said...

Dear Amrita,

What a wonderful tribute to your father.
Sure you must miss him.
6 years is not a long time. He was an important part of your life for so many years.
I too miss my dad, and I found the words of Don Wyrtzen very comforting.
I'm longing for the day we all shall reunite in heaven. What a marvelous day it will be.
Till then; your words brought comfort to my soul.
From Felisol

Sita said...

May His comfort be yours, Amrita. Our fathers shared in common the meticulous notes on sermons. That is the picture that most easily comes to my mind when I think of my Dad an ocean away--studying and praying.
Blessings to you,
Love, Sita

the mother of this lot said...

Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him.

There's no feeling like missing your dad, is there Amrita?

Holly, the Old Western Gal said...

How nice to have his notes! What a good hand he wrote with.

And what a sweet and gracious daughter he has to remember him and love him always until you meet again!

Simply Shelley said...

A wonderful remembrance of your father Amrita...he was a very Godly man indeed...blessings

John Cowart said...

Hi Amrita,
In those spiral notebooks of your Father's you have a treasure. In my spare time, I am transcribing 16 such notebooks of diary and lesson notes from my friend Barbara's lone career as a Bible teacher. I intend to publish them as a book, if I ever finish. Have you considered doing that same sort of thing with your Father's sermon notes? It is a monster huge task but well worth doing. Something to think about.

Marie said...

What a wonderful tribute to your father.
My father died in 1991, it was 100 years cince he was born the 26th of February this year. He was a wonderful father for me and my sisters. My mother died the 17th of December last year.

I often miss them, especially my mother who past away resently...

But I know, like you, that I will meet them again some day. What a wonderfull meeting that will be :)

Julie said...

Very lovely tribute to your wonderful father. Loved the music at the end.

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

I commiserate with you on the 6th anniversary of your father's death. Your father left an indelible legacy of his life to his family especially his children that he left behind. But there is hope that someday you will be able to meet him again in the presence of the Lord. In the meantime, we press ahead to the goal of our lives which is to meet our Lord face to face to receive from Him our crown of righteousness. Thanks for the post. God bless you all always.

Herrad said...

Hi Amrita,
The photos of your mum and dad are lovely.
Came by to say hello, hope the new week will be pleasant for you.
Love,
Herrad

Amrita said...

Thank you my dear friends. Your kind and comforting words are encouraging me to strive to live for Christ more vigorously. God bless you all

Amrita said...

Dear John, I know much you treasure old manuscripts and texts. I have many papers belonging to the Bristish Raj and my late Ductch pastor 's writings too. I have preserved them very carefully, some have been lost to mild dew and white ants.

monsoon dreams said...

amrita,
very very touching tribute,dear.no words to express how it feels to lose one's loving father.it isnt a loss coz we're going to meet again.still it hurts very much and the pain keeps increasing as the absence is felt in many ways.
your post made me cry.