Thursday 4 March 2010

To Market ,To Market

I took these photos on one our trips

into the city in January.

These horse drawn buggies are called tongas.

They are the poor man' s transport.


Usually meant for villagers coming into the city.

But they are restricted to certain areas.

I feel bad for this horse.

His load is rather heavy.


This is an old part of town called Katra.


As we passed through the narrow streets
on our rickshaw
a poem by George MacDonald came to mind



The Streets I Feared To See by George MacDonald
I said: "Let me walk in the field;" God said: "Nay, walk in the town;" I said: "There are flowers there;" He said: "No flowers, but a crown."
I said: "But the sky is black, There is nothing but noise and din;" But He wept as He sent me back, "There is more," He said, "there is sin."
I said: "But the air is thick, And fogs are veiling the sun." He answered: "Yet souls are sick, And souls in the dark undone."
I said: "I shall miss the light, And friends will miss me, they say," He answered me, "Choose tonight, If I am to miss you, or they."
I pleaded for time to be given; He said: "Is it hard to decide? It will not seem hard in heaven To have followed the steps of your Guide."
I cast one look at the fields, Then set my face to the town; He said: "My child, do you yield? Will you leave the flowers for the crown?"
Then into His hand went mine And into my heart cam He; And I walk in a light Divine, The streets I had feared to see.
George MacDonald (1824-19050)

This poor stray calf looks so pathetic


The Katra market is moderately priced.
Everything is available here at a slightly
lower price and you can bargain too.
But its far from my home,
so what I can save would be
spent on transport.

Cheap clothes, toys, ornaments and stationary.
Fans are sold at a discount during the winter months.

Fancy dresses and sarees for festival time.
The mannequins beckon all.

On Feb.27th
our Finance Minister presented this
year 's Union Budget in Parliament.
It does not do much for the common man.
Fuel prices have gone up,which is triggering
a general price rise
for all commodities.
Shoe on sale

A child selling artificial flowers at the intersection.
Let me give you some stats.
Below is the increase in prices between March 2009 & Jan 2010
Sugar up 47.6%
Pulses & lentils up 37.6%
Onions up by 30.3%
Processed food up by 17.2%
Wheat up 16.2%
Potato up 14.4%
Milk up by 13.2%
Cotton textile up12.1%
Fruits 10.9% up
Fuel and power up by 10.8%
This means survival of the fittest
or richest.
Handmade mattresses and quilts.
You can also see hand beaten cotton
on the side which is used to
stuff the mattresses.

We passed by the Katra Mission Church.
It was Presbyterian, but now
its owned by
The Church of North India.
We also went to visit a pastor 's family who lives on
the premises of the
Mary Wanamaker School for Girls

My Mother taught in this High School
for 42 years. She received her High School
education here before moving on to university.
Some of my aunts studied and taught here too.
The school is more than 100 years old.
The old dorm building looks
like a castle.
Part of the dorm garden.

We spent many happy
childhood days here
visiting our aunts who had
comfortable apartments
in the dorm area.

Later on the Principal held a Wednesday Bible Study
in her large and spacious living room.
My parents and sometime us girls use to attend.

The John Wanamaker Stores of New York

donated money to establish a girl 's school in

North India more than a 100 years ago

when female education was nearly unheard of.

Presbyterian missionaries started this work.

Now its a very popular girl 's school with

more than 2000 students

from K-12.

8 Fertilize my soul:

Unknown said...

Hello Amrita, Long time no speak,I am sorry.
I just checked back to your blog...love the pictures! Thank you for sharing your ministry and your love for the kingdom with me...on the other side of the globe...How Good is OUR GOD????

the mother of this lot said...

That's a lovely poem Amrita. It reminds me of my dad. He left fields for streets.

Gerry said...

How interesting. You have really given us a good tour including many photos here. I was always sad to read about rickshaws and men having to pull them. I was used to horse drawn vehicles since I was born while our ranchers were mostly still in the horse age. But I was concerned when I read the rise in prices. How will the poor of India afford to eat?
Looks like your mother lived in a pretty place. That looks like a nice area. She served the public a long time. A very good tour and photos!

Anonymous said...

I so appreciate the photos....thanks so much....."they" say our prices are going to go up too.....God will provide.....

Holly, the Old Western Gal said...

I still feel the world is teetering on the edge of financial disaster. The rise in your prices concerns me. Our Walmart here has many empty shelves, and that means something, just what I am not sure, but it means something changed...and not a good change...Of course, you are right, the poor will suffer most.

I feel bad for that horse, too. It is much, much too thin. I can remember mistreated horses in New Orleans. It always made me ill.

Felisol said...

Dear Amrita,
Reading your post s sad, interesting and uplifting at one time.
Sad news about the economic prospects of the majority of the Indian population.
That is serious stuff.
The many faceted city life looks and seems attractive and adventurous. I sure should like a bit of that exotic
style in my quiet and foreseeable everyday life.
Then again, I get the best of two worlds through you.
I'm also impressed by the ancient buldings of schools for girls.
Kind of proud to, that your family is so heavily involved in such important issues.
I certainly hope you are proud too. You are a carrier of a great culture.
From Felisol

Dick said...

It looks like a very busy place, I feel sorry for the horse.

Glennis said...

Amrita, there is so much info in this post. it was the poor little horse dragging all those villagers into town that touched me, sure I saw just such sights myself when in Delhi and each time I felt for the poor little horses, but they seem to survive. The school you went to was impressive, a very nice looking building with lots of trees and coolness.
I don't think I entered that poorer old part of town, unless it is old Delhi, but I wish I had, it looks just the type of place I like best when traveling, full of interesting bargains and wonderful exotic smells and so much colour.
The price rises will make living harder for all, maybe wages will rise too in time.