Wednesday 31 August 2011

Shining India








(photos  I  took  of  malls  in  Lucknow)

While India  teeters under  the  burden  of  poverty, economic upheaval,mismanagement of  natural  resources and  corruption  in  every  strata  of  society  But spaces  in  burgeoning  cities and  SEZ (special  economic  zones)  give  no  indication  of  it. This  is   the  India  of  the  well heeled, upward mobile, successful and  powerful.

In  India  power  is  associated  with  money and the  right  connections. And  I  have  nothing   against  this  minority  group because  I  wish to  join  them.

I  visited   some  of  these  palaces   of progress  for  entertainment  value (I do  so here  also) trying  to  to  feel  disdain  for  the  highly  priced merchandise, like  a  small  Body Shop  bar  of  soap which cost  Rupees 145 (I can  buy  5  soaps  with   that  amount  of  money). I  feign allergy  to expensive  skin  care products...I  won' t  tell  you  what   excuses  I  conjure  up for  other  things.

In India  the  disparity  between  the rich  and poor is  fathomless.
I try  not  to  be  in awe  of   the  well   manicured   green  lawns  on  the  other  side  of   the  fence but  rather  be  content  with  the  herbaceous  thickets   on  my  side.

God  has given  me  a  unique opportunity  this  week.  Starting   tomorrow I  have  volunteered to   teach  a women 's   class with  my   friend , Diana. We  will  be training a  group  of  ladies  who  come  from  rural  areas. Having  a few  hours  with   them  for  4  to  5  days depending  on  how  much  material we  can  cover  each  day.

Diana  and I  have  gone  through the  teaching  materials together. I  got  up  at  4 am  to  start  my   preparation. I  am  really  looking   forward  to   it. We  are  helping  at  a  newly formed  Bible  School.

Please   pray  for  us  .

13 Fertilize my soul:

Anonymous said...

so true, so true...will keep you in prayer also....

Amrita said...

Thank you Dani

Amrita said...

Dani the photos of your mall are fantastic

David C Brown said...

Its the rich and the poor so close together that amazes me: "Jehovah is the maker of them all", Proverbs 22: 2

Michelle said...

I will be praying for you. These photos are so much like Kyiv! I so want to visit India someday! :)

Amrita said...

Dear David you have been to India so many times. You have seen it first hand.

Amrita said...

Hi Micheele, you are very welcome. You can stay with us too. Thank you for your prayers

Nadwrażliwiec said...

Unfortunately, because of big number of learning in the next academic year, I had to stop my work in club for children. But sister, who is the chief of this club said, that I can help in for example Christmas gifts.
Everywhere in the world there are big difference between poor and rich people. There is no day in Poland, that in at least one newspaper was written about poor retires of milions Polish people, and, in contrast - fabolously big money of some politicians.

Robin said...

Wonderful opportunity to teach classes-you will be in my prayers!
God Bless you Amrita

Amrita said...

Thank you for your pryer. The first 2 days went well.


Yes Zim, God is using you among children, that is wonderful.

Buttercup said...

Many prayers for your teaching and for you and your students.

Vilisi said...

Your life sounds fulfilling and meaningful. I enjoy catching up with what God is doing in your life.God bless you dear Amrita and anoint you as you teach bible study.

Mari Nuñez said...

The same here Amrita. One part is in poverty with no job, no food nor water, others live their life full of luxury like if they live in another country. Blessed are those wealthy and State officials who remember and help the poor.