Sunday 7 August 2011

Sunday Blessings - Blows and Wounds

A  couple  very  close  to  me  are  facing a  lot  of  trouble  at  work - blows , wounds  and  cuts at  the  hands  of  their  managers, who  despise  them  for  their  Christian faith. The  atheist  managers  candidly  say all their  friends  are in  hell.

My  beloved people  are enduring under  very  frustrating  and  humiliating   circumstances. But  they   are  trusting  God  in  the  midst  of  gloomy times. Many  of  us  when  we   pass  through  muddy  waters  start blaming  God   for our  situation and  some  become  bitter and  distant. We  start questioning  God  for  His dealings  with us.

The lesson  I  have learnt  is  that  God uses  trials  to  mature  and  purify us  and teach  us  wisdom  and  patience.

Here is  a  short  devotion  from  Joni  Eareckson Tada for  our  encouragement.


Blessed Blows

Blows and wounds cleanse away evil, and beatings purge the inmost being.

--Proverbs 20:30

The first time I read this verse, I cringed. It brought up contorted images of the
Spanish Inquisition and the Salem witch trials - or at best, stern, tight-lipped
schoolmarms walking the classroom aisles with a rod in hand. Proverbs may be a
book filled with wisdom and godly instruction, but this verse seemed better suited
for the 16th century.

But my heart has warmed to Proverbs 20:30. That's because I'm writing this vignette
from my bed where I have been spending long days dealing with severe back pain.
The encroachment of my disability has humbled me of late: my pride has taken a severe
beating as I've missed deadlines; I feel humiliated doing "business" from my bed;
and I've had to bite my tongue from grumbling. God is forcing me to learn the deeper
meaning of Psalm 119:67, 71, "Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I obey
your word...It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees."


God may land a knock-out blow to your puffed-up pride. He may wound your heart through
a deep disappointment. He will go to great lengths to beat hateful habits out of
your character and purge selfishness from your soul. Your ego may feel trampled.
But that's not bad. I, for one, know I will come out the other end all the richer
and happier for the wounding. It's what Proverbs 20:30 is all about.
* * * * * * *
Your God is not a stern, tight-lipped celestial ogre. He's not on a witch hunt.
He is the kind Father who has compassion on his children (Psalm 103:13). He's also
the wise and wonderful God described in Hebrews 12:10 who "...disciplines us for
our good, that we may share in his holiness." Join me today in saying "Though he
slay me, yet will I hope in him..." (Job 13:15).

Lord God, remind me when I feel beaten
At  the  end  let  me  share  photos  of  sweets  we   enjoyed  with  Ashish  and Megan. The  ones  in   the center  are  like  sugar  birdies.

Have  a  sweet  weekend

20 Fertilize my soul:

Amrita said...

Happy friendship day everyone. I was passing by the city center and saw crowds of young folk enjoying themselves with their friends.

Sincerity said...

What a beautiful and convicting post! Joni has been an inspiration to me for many years. I'm so sorry to hear that your friends are under persecution but they will be blessed! Already they are suffering for Christ! What an honor.

I will pray that God gives them strength and courage.
" For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." Ephesians 6:12

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

My heart goes out to your friends. I feel it won't be long before persecution of Christians will be happening more and more in all areas of the world.

That was a wonderful encouraging bit by Joni.

Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

Nadwrażliwiec said...

Amrita, we live in the Last Days. Jesus said that persecution will be normal in the future - and it becomes true on our eyes. But God knows our thoughts and He also has thoughts about peace for us.
I knew that something sad is happening in Your lifes because I felt I should pray for You and Your friends. Holy Spirit really knows all situations, even if Christians live very far away from themselves.
Thank Your for Your wishes!

Felisol said...

Dear Amrita,
I'll pray for your Christian friends. It's hard to believe that these things are taking place almost on a daily basis in India. Indeed no victory for democracy or freedom of religion.

At the same time I'll wish you a happy birthday. Congratulations. Hope you had a blessed celebration.
Hugs from felisol

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

I am sorry to hear that you are in pain. I am pleased that you are learning from it, but I do hope that you will soon be better. Joni's works are great; Noelle used to read them over and over when she was a teenager.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if my first comment went through, so I will try again..

There are so many reasons as to why we go through what we go through:
(1) to show a Christ-like attitude in the midst of adversity
(2) because we are reaping some things that we have sown
(3) so the Lord can deliver us from some ungodly issues we still may be dealing with (ex: anger, pride, a sharp tongue)
(4) for correction, if we haven't stopped doing some things God has told us not to do.
(5) for testing, to see if we will pass.

Either way, I hope your friends go through all that they are going through with encouragement, that it won't last forever.

Have a blessed week!

Amrita said...

Deatr friends thank you so much for your words of love and encouragement, My friends are not bloggers but they can read your comments and be blessed.

Miss Bible your 5 points are really good.

Amrita said...

Deatr friends thank you so much for your words of love and encouragement, My friends are not bloggers but they can read your comments and be blessed.

Miss Bible your 5 points are really good.

Pia said...

Wow, persecution... So sad but it's really happening. Well, God sees and He knows. He will protect His children.

Vilisi said...

Dear Amrita I am praying that God will give strength to your friends and intervene in their situation.
hugs,
Vilisi

María del Mar Hermoso said...

Dear Amrita, thank you very much for visiting my teselasoflife.blogspot.com. Unfortunately I am very short of time and I can't post nor visit my ciber-readers more frequently. Would you please click on my followers icon so that I can follow your yesugarden more easily?
It is very upset to hear from other human beings' suffering. God made us free to choose our way in life, and this freedom must be respected in the same way as we respect other's freedom to choose. Self-control, repentance, forgiveness and compensation for the sorrows we have caused in others are the key to identify real human beings, no matter race or religion. Love has one only way. Respect, as well.
Best wishes from Spain.
Mar

Amrita said...

Dear Maria, I am so happy to "meet " you in the cyber world. Spain is my favorite country and you are my only Spanish friend. Of course I will follow your blog. You can subscribe to me by email, or follow me.

Nikki (Sarah) said...

yep...God definitely uses trials....and those cookies look like they have little faces on them. So cute.

Ash said...

The atheists have no idea what they're losing out on. Poor folks!

Love those sweets with faces!

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Your friends are undergoing persecutions because they are Christians and Christians are largely persecuted in India. Christ warned us that in this world we will suffer persecution but He encouraged us by overcoming the world. Thanks for the post. God bless you always.

Mari Nuñez said...

I could only imagine what they are going through. I saw a report on TV about how Christians are being persecuted in India, very sad and scary. May our Lord protect us all always.

My hugs and prayer to you and your friends.

Buttercup said...

My prayers for your friends and for all those who are suffering in painful and difficult work situations. Take good care of yourself. You, too, are in my prayers.

monsoon dreams said...

I needed this post today.Thanks,Amrita.

N Abram said...

Thanks for an excellent post. I pray for your friends. May the Lord strengthen them and may their ordeal stop. In the name of Jesus-Christ our saviour.