Monday 16 June 2008

Sunday Blessings - Family Men

Just can 't resist posting this picture of my Papa eating grapefruit with 4 or 5 year old Mahima (now going to be 16). This was a relaxing winter morning activity for both of them. Below is Prem with Ashish in the New Brunswick snow.

Its been raining since the past few days.Our monsoon has arrived early.The weather has cooled down a lot.To celebrate I made spicy stuffed fried bread called kachories, very popular in India.The photo is from the web, but mine looked similar.


Please pray for me. I am struggling with my elder care duties. Aunt Sybil 's pain is much less, but she can 't walk much, has to assisted in every way.Her mind also is slowing down rapidly. I have to do all her thinking and physical work. Causes a lot of strain and I just about fall pieces.Please pray for me.
I am reading "The Five Silent Years of Corrie Ten Boom" by Pamela Rosewell.This Englishwoman was Corrie Ten Boom 's constant companion in the last 5 years of her life. Its an inspiration for all those who are caring for the elderly and the handicapped.I must confess, sometimes the book kind of scares me but at the same time to encourages me to go on.
The book begins with Elc. 3;1 (Bible)
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven".
I firmly believe in this.
--------------------------------------------

By the way, Papa and Mahima used to like their grapefruit with sugar sprinkled on the top. I like mine that way and add a little salt and pepper too.How do you like yours?

23 Fertilize my soul:

Kate said...

A little brown sugar on my grapefruit makes me very happy, but I will happily eat it plain.

Amrita, you're very brave regarding Aunt Sybil. I know it can be hard. I cared for elderly people when I was in my early 20s. Remember that you will never regret this time after your aunt is gone.

Sita said...

Hey Amrita,
Loved the pic of your Dad with Mahima. My husband loves to remember being in Trinidad and Dad bringing 'fresh' pineapple for him every morning.
I feel your 'weariness'...I also know that you will persevere with God's strength...there is a wonderful harvest awaiting you, dear sister...will uphold you...
that book sounds good..will look for it here...
as for grapefruit, I had a craving for 'red' grapefruit when I was pregnant with my oldest and think I sprinkled sugar lightly--since then--no grapefruit--too tart for me...
blessings to you..
Love, Sita

Sita said...

...forgot to tell you another blogger friend is hosting a study on Ecclesiastes..check her out at http://womeninhisimage.wordpress.com/

the mother of this lot said...

Amrita my dad had grapefruit with sugar on for his breakfast! Sometimes on cold days, he'd put it under the grill till the sugar went like toffee!

I am always praying for you my dear friend.

Renae said...

Thank you for your prayers, Amrita. Baby Chloe is doing well . . . please continue to pray for her recovery.

Funny you should ask about grapefruit. It is my only known food allergy. I can eat almost anything, except grapefruit. It makes my eyes swell shut! But when I did eat it (before discovering this allergy) I sprinkled loads of sugar on it! :-)

Felisol said...

Dear Amrita,
new to me that there's a book about the last years of Carrie Ten Boom, I like her own books very much, even think I've got some copies down in my hobby room.
Got to ask at the library. Thank God for public libraries,, they been of great help to me.
Cosy picture of your Dad eating grape-fruit.
Best grape-friut I ever tasted was in Italy. Serina and I found this restaurant where they served grapefruit sorbet filled in a hollow grape-fruit shell and then frozen. Yammi. The Italian are by far the best ice-cooks in the world. And they always serve whipped cream and some fantasy decoration along.
"Children" of any age love it.
I still keep praying for your vacation.
The Lord have heard, hope he soon will answer.
Love from Felisol

Robin said...

That sounds like a great book about corrie Ten boom you are reading. i have taken cre of elderly for many years, but your own family is another thing altogether when they can be more demanding. Take care to refresh yourself-watch your back!
and i like my grapefruit with alittle honey drizzled on it.

Anonymous said...

believe it or not, i haven't eaten a grapefruit like that in my life. i know, i know, i'm missing a lot. yeah.

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

hey my dear friend,
glad to see you dada, mine is paased away, i hope you are doing fine my dear.

thanks 4 you comments i posted some last news on my blog about 'a woman' perhaps me... joann

Gudl said...

I love the photo of your Dad and the girl.
I will pray for you that you will have patience... you will earn rewards in heaven for what you are doing down here... remember, 'what you have done for the least of these...'.

Angie said...

Sugar on my grapefruit please. Corrie Ten Boom is an inspiration to me. You are too. Praying for strength and grace for you.

Dick said...

I don't like grapefruit with or without anything.
I think I will try the bread.
Nice pictures.

monsoon dreams said...

amrita,
may God give you the health and patience to take care of aunt sybil.grape fruit?i dont like it much:-)

Curious Servant said...

Love you, Sis.

God bless your helping hands.

Joyfulsister said...

Aloha Amrita.. I just joined the Lace of Grace blogroll and I was just visiting the women on the blogroll.I enjoyed my visit to your blog and will be back to read more, what a cute picture of your daughter and her grandfather.

Blessings Lorie

Julia Dutta said...

Hello Amrita,
May the Lord hold your hand a little more stronger and may he fill your heart with more love and caring as He always does...

I am in Shimla. It is raining here and the clouds cover the sky and the mountains and everything around...

The sun is shy but the cold has not wrapped around us, yet. I leave for Delhi tomorrow. I will visit you more often from next week onwards.

God Bless!
Julia

Simply Shelley said...

Hello Amrita, I love grapefruit with a little salt..yummy...
I will be saying a prayer for you,hang in there sweetie,you shall be greatly rewarded.

God bless, Shelley

Pat said...

What precious photos, they must bring back a lot of wonderful memories for you.
I understand 100% how you feel while caring for your Aunt. When I was caring for my Mother, blogging really helped me. I was able to share my feelings and I know people were praying for me. Never hold back asking for our prayers..we are here for you and your family.
As for grapefruit....I love it, especially with a little sugar on top! I wish I had some right now!

JO said...

WHAT A GREAT PIC UP TOP! I love it! Really makes me want some grapefruit! I like mine with a little sugar too and fresh from a tree is the BEST!

I will say a prayer for you and yours... take care!

Ash said...

Love the picture of your dad.
And the kachoris...mmm...tempting!

Susan Skitt said...

What a nice picture of your Papa :) I read a book last year written by Pamela Rosewell. Very interesting! I so agree with that Bible verse too. Truly there is a time for everything under the sun... God bless and have a nice weekend.

P.S. I never did learn to like Grapefruit but I love oranges!

Kostas said...

Hi Amrita
Very good the photograph.
Always I liked the photographs of passed years, remove beautiful sentiments.

Saija said...

i like mine with a little sugar on top too ... no salt & pepper tho! *chuckling*

that book about corrie ten boom's last years sounds good ... after 25 years in pain, leo has started to slow down a lot, and sometimes it's only my poor brain making the decisions ... thankful, that's not all the time - yet the future would indeed look bleak if Jesus wasn't there to walk it with me ...

may you feel the love of Jesus as you try to be His hands of care to those around you ...