Friday 14 August 2009

Celebration Weekend - Rajasthan Desert Festival

India is celebrating this weekend.
Today our Hindu friends celebrate the birthday of Krishna
And tomorrow is our Independence Day.
But the festivity is dampened by the
price rise and H1N1 .

Here are some photos of the

Rajasthan Desert Festival

Tourists trying on the traditional turbans.
The top photo shows two men donning the turban.

A desert dweller showing off his long moustache.
Its a matter of pride to grow and tend this appendage..
Here is video from Rajasthan.
The music is enchanting.
In the end he sings a line in Sanskrit
our ancient language, which means
"Guests are gods"




********************

Rabindranath Tagore was one of the greatest poets of India.

He was a Nobel Laureate and freedom fighter.

Here is a short poem by him.

Man's abiding happiness is not in getting anything but in giving himself up to what is greater than himself,to ideas which are larger than his individual life,the idea of his country, of humanity, of God.

17 Fertilize my soul:

Sherri Murphy said...

Why do tourists look silly in the turbans, but the natives look beautiful in them?

I can't get over the vibrant colors in everything there! Absolutely beautiful!

Buttercup said...

I want to go to the Rajasthan festival. Really enjoyed the week I spent in Rajasthan four years ago.

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Happy Independence Day! It was a long time coming, wasn't it? And reached without a war, unlike most former colonial situations. India is a beautiful jewel of a country.

Felisol said...

Dear Amrita,
I wish you a happy independence Day.
Freedom for certain is worth celebrating.
From Felisol

Amrita said...

Thank you friends.

Rajasthan is a very colorful place.

The tourists really enjoy the tubans and costumes too. You should see them on the elephants and camels.

Buttercup you must have done that too.

The British ruled India for 200 years. They came as British East India Company (1757 0 1858)

Then the rule was handed over to the Queen in 1858.
We got our Independence in 1847, there was some armed struggle, but Gandhi who was on the forefront of the freedom movement spoke agaonst that.He was an advocate of non-violent methods. Like non-coperation, hunger vigils and shunning British made products.
Tonight they are showing the Gandhi movie on cable. So after the Fellowship meeting i will watch it.

Tomorrow I will post another very interesting video which will give you a glimpse of the various colors of India.

Annie K said...

Wow - India is such a colorful place, and that mustache is awesome!

Sita said...

Happy Independence Day, Amrita!
I would love to visit India one day but that 'thought' becomes more remote daily, unless God intervenes in His will.
I will always remember the Gandhi film and one quote...
"...were it not for the Christians, I would be a Christian..", a searing rebuke of the British portrayal of Christianity...
as a matter of fact, a searing rebuke on my own life...a reminder that I may be the only Bible that non-Christians 'read'...may God empower me to live an authentic life for His glory.

I thank God for you, Amrita, being a light in the darkness.
On another note, my son is getting baptized on the 23rd. Please pray for him as he shares his testimony and professes publicly his desire to walk the 'talk'.
Blessings,
Sita

xashee's corner said...

Happy Independence day to you! my goodness the festivities are so BEAUTIFUL and colorful! thank you so very much for sharing! :) Have a FABULOUS day!

Julie said...

Happy Independence Day. What lovely colors everyone wears there, you must be the lovely country in the world. I hope the flu is not getting overwhelming over there. I pray for you all.

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Amrita:)

This is one of the famous festivals in India and many foreign tourists flock to it.

I was astounded to see that man's mustache. I wonder if women can have hair as long as this. It is amazing that he can maintain it.

I loved the sun set over the desert and beautiful dress worn by those two women in the video. I am always thrilled to see Rajastani women dancing.

The quote by Tagore is inspiring and thought provoking.

Wish you a HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY AMRITA:)
Joseph

Marie said...

Colourful and interesting photos from a culture very different from where I live :)

Nice post!

Mrs. Mac said...

Very colorful .. I like the pic of the camels :) Happy Independence Day to you, your family & fellow countrymen/women.

Hugs from across several seas, and up in the North Woods.

Donetta said...

Hello my Friend
I am with Sita...So true we are the only Bible most see and who are we?

I really enjoyed learning about the History of India through of many things the Gandhi Movie it was amazing the beauty and Character it took for the beautiful souls to stand up to the cruel greedy men who called themselves Britt's but that could be an insult to the beautiful Brittan's out there who are appalled at the History if they knew it

David Edward said...

that is a good quote

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a celebration!....lovely vibrant captures and some lovely words to sum it up....wishing you a happy janmashtami & independence day!

Calfkeeper said...

I always love your pictures and your informative posts. Hope the H1N1 calms down and goes away soon.

I love the camel picture. What a great shot.

My brother has been to India; wish I could go there some day.

Love, God bless.
Rebecca

Glennis said...

Wonderful dressed up camels, they look so great. I like camels. The turbans don't look as good on the kids as they do on the Indian men!