Wednesday 12 August 2009

Comfort Zone and Out


(I love this cute graphic, the doggie looks like my Sheeba)

Since Monday I have been down with a cold.The heat and humidity did me in.
I treated myself with DeCold Total, herbal balm
and Tulsi tea (Basil)
I am much better today.

H1N1 is spreading its tentacles in India.
We 've had more than 10 deaths in the past one week
in different parts of our country.
One case tested positive locally.

I have a patch of Basil growing in my kitchen garden.
I spiced up the chai with some peppercorn,
crushed ginger root, gur (jaggery),cinnamon
and regular tea.
Makes a refreshing brew.

Benefits of Tulsi Tea
(Holy Basil Tea)
Tulsi tea, which originated in India thousands of years ago, is known for its rich antioxidant and adaptogenic properties that are known to promote wellness by building the body’s immune system, reducing stress and promoting mental clarity.
It is recognized as one of India's most sacred herbs because of its health benefits and healing properties.

Tulsi Tea's antioxidants protect cells from the damage caused by free radicals that facilitate the cause and progression of various types of diseases.
Also referred to as holy basil tea, this herbal brew’s adaptogens serve as powerful anti-stress agents that protect your body from a wide range of health concerns.
The adaptogens guard against and deal with physical, chemical, environmental, and emotional factors that produce high levels of stress that compromise physical and mental health.

Potential Health Benefits
Strengthens the immune system, promotes longevity and enhances well-being.
Promotes heart health by lowering cholesterol and high blood pressure.

Reduces the negative physical and psychological effects of stress.
Increases the body’s efficiency in using oxygen, which improves stamina, strength and endurance.
Promotes respiratory health.
Helps with digestion and gastrointestinal problems.
Neutralizes dangerous biochemicals that contribute to cancer, degenerative diseases and premature aging.

Facilitates healthy liver function.

Reduces cell and tissue damage from sun rays, radiation therapy and other radiation sources.
Relieves inflammation from arthritis and other diseases.
Helps fight infections.
It is important to note that, while there is scientific evidence that supports many of these health claims, additional research is needed to further substantiate medicinal impact and safety -- as with any herbal therapy. Always consult with your doctor before using herbal treatments.

(I copied the above information from a website)
The Hindus worship the Tulsi plant.


My mother is reading George Verwer 's book

'Out of the Comfort Zone '

little by little every morning. On the back cover it says -


"READING THIS BOOK COULD SERIOUSLY CHANGE YOUR ATTITUDE.


George Verwer has managed to write a book that is humble and hard hitting at the same time.He doesn 't pull any punches in his heart 's cry for a 'grace awakened" approach to mission

and wants to cut through any superficial spirituality

that maybe lurking inside you."


Francis Chan 's challenging video goes well with it.

15 Fertilize my soul:

Sherri Murphy said...

Sounds like an amazing Herb!
And you always post the cutest pictures/graphics.

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

I'm so glad to hear Mother Hazel is reading that book. I hope it will lift her low spirits and re-energize her with hope.

But sorry to hear that you have caught one of those summer colds. They are the worst, honestly.

Please be careful with that swine flu. I had it, do you remember? It wasn't too bad, but dearie, right now, please get yourself a store of foods you can eat easily, like soups and Vienna sausages, crackers, and Gatorades, if you have them there. Keep them handy in case you get the flu, because you will sink very low and not feel like going out to get anything.

REST, REST, REST. I sat up and dozed. That holy basil tea is an excellent idea for both your cold and if you catch that swine flu!!

Sita said...

What a great video clip...too close to the truth of how many Christians live..yearning safety and comfort above all...
sorry you're down with the cold...that Tulsi tea sounds like a cure for all that ails..wow...I should see if it is available in our grocery. There is such a large South Asian population in my area that all the major chain groceries are now offering all things Indian!
Swine flu scare is growing rapidly..the vaccine should be here soon...the Cdn govt has ordered more than enough for every Canadian. Would it be available in India for everyone as well?
Do take care.
Love, Sita

Felisol said...

Dear Amrita,
Sorry to learn that you have got a cold. Take time, let your body be refreshed by the herbs you are eating and drinking.
I Google Tulsi for pictures. There were more than 200 000. I cannot find a Norwegian specie or word for it. We have an Asian grocery store in town. I think I might pop in there and ask for Holy Basil.
I rather take herbs than pharmacy medicine. This Tulsi for certain can be taken preventive as well.

My best Indian tea so far has been a Ginger/lemon tea. Tomorrow I'll search for the better thing.
Swineflue is in our town and even in Sauda where my mother lives.
I'm praying for all of us.
From Felisol

Donetta said...

Good Morning
I do hope your feeling better every moment. Great to hear your moms ready :) smile smirk glee
Loved the video that was wonderful!
Enjoy the day before you.
The flu is thought to hit hear soon. I read that the ground water issue in India is getting critical.

Julie said...

colds are so miserable I am glad the tea is helping. I love tea when I am not feeling well but have never heard of that one. Take care and I loved the graphic as well.

madison said...

I need to start making that holy basil tea for myself in the mornings!

Mrs. Mac said...

Dear Amrita,

I do hope you are feeling a bit better by now. I was intrigued with your post about holy basil and am wondering if its properties are much different from the basil I have growing in my garden .. used in cooking. I just picked some earlier today to dry for winter use. It smells heavenly :) The H1N1 flu is in the states as well. We try to keep our immune systems healthy with teas, herbs, fresh fruits and veggies and very little processed (boxed) goods from the store. I posted a potato bread recipe on my 'The Thrifty/Garden Home blog .. did you inquire earlier about it??? Hugs,

Grayquill said...

Hmmm...that tea sounds like its to good to be true. If is even half true, sign me up. I bet it tastes nasty - don't all things good for you taste nasty?

Amrita said...

Thank you friends for your prayers and good wishes.

I am feeling better - I didn 't get worse.

Penni God saved you from that deadly virus...my goodness.

Tuksi is really good. I googled and it is available online. I just wish i could send you all loads of it from my garden, you could just coime and pick it fresh

Amrita said...

Thank you friends for your prayers and good wishes.

I am feeling better - I didn 't get worse.

Penni God saved you from that deadly virus...my goodness.

Tuksi is really good. I googled and it is available online. I just wish i could send you all loads of it from my garden, you could just coime and pick it fresh

Amrita said...

Dear Felisol, I 'll help you get some tulsi seeds. It wikll do you good.

Hi Greyquill, you can add sugar and milk to the tea, it doesn 't taste bad at all.Its quite light, like green tea.

Dear Mrs Mac I will check out your recipe surely.

That 's right Madison, I am sure your husband will second that.If you can get gur or jaggery in the Indian store add it to sweeten the tea if you like it sweet.

Hi Julie,
Yeah cold are awful, just feel so weak - just did the minimum work.

Hi Donetta, you seem to getting India news. Convey my greetings to your dear MIL

Hi Sita, Imas sure it is available in the Indian stores in your area.
I really liked that video. Have you read Francis Chan 's book called Crazy Love?

Hi Sherri, the doggie is smaller than my Sheeba but she 's got that look.She is always by my side.

Hi Penni, your nutritious food sounds so tantalizing. All these things are available here and and cheaper than in the west, but unfortunately they are for the higher income group--- I 'm gonna fry an egg tonight . For lunch I mach rice ,dal and a dish with Indian Baby pumpkin also called round gourd or apple gourd - we call it tinda.

Brad the Dad said...

I have been blessed by many podcast messages from Francis Chan and some of his compadres. This video is so fitting for our generation.

I lift my dragon pearl tea and a prayer for your good health.

Amrita said...

Thank you Brad. I like his book Crazy Love.
Dragon Parl Tea wow! My Holy Basil seems pretty weak in front of it! LOL!!!

Crown of Beauty said...

Hope you are better by now. I have basil in my garden. To be sure it doesn't die, you must never let its flowers dry up...cut the flowers off when they come out. Or else, the plant dies when the flowers begin to dry up.

I will try the basil tea. I love peppercorn and basil, so that makes it really nice and strong.

Thank you for sharing the book by George Verwer. I read his book many years ago entitled God's Smuggler. I will try to get someone to buy the book you mentioned, I haven't seen it in our Christian bookstores here.

And I loved the video by Francis Chan. Thank you for sharing it.

Love
Lidj