Thursday 27 August 2009

Finding Friends

Having a Face Book Account has its pros and cons.
But I am glad I got one,
because I am connecting with my long , out-of -touch friends.
One girl I knew 25 years ago.
I stole some of their photos and put them here
for all to see.
Below are saints from an mission fellowship
my family and I are a part of.
Its called Union of Evangelical Students of India,(UESI)
very similar to Inter Varsity Fellowship. Above - Parrot akka (sister) and Sahayam anna(brother).
Parrot akka taught in a women 's Bible School.
She was our mentor and conference speaker.
She served on the OM ship for a term, got married.
Both of them were on the staff of the UESI
for several years.
They have 2 college going children.

They are excellent counsellors
specially in the area of marriage.
For some years they were missionaries
in the Fiji Islands and now they are serving in Guyana (S. America)

Akka had beautiful long hair,
which reached down to her ankles.
******************
Below are Dr's Emmanuel and their fellowship group
in South India.
Brother is the head of a department in a College of Engineering
Dr Marjorie (his wife) works in a Leprosy hospital
started by the famous Dr Paul Brand.
They have 2 lovely daughters and 2 sweet grand kids.
Akka and Anna were based in my home town for several years.
They started their married life here.
They were the pillars of our fellowship.
Investing their home, resources and energy
for the kingdom.
They were like glue which cemented us together.
The more I talk about them is less.
Here in their home in South India
they are having a fellowship Birthday Feast.
Every one who had a birthday in August
got together with friends to celebrate.
(akka is serving the food)


(above Dr E and Dr M in front of the bookcase)
They had dinner and prayer

and worship.
Daughter Jerusha, an engineering student,
is playing the piano
Above are Sav and Den (short form of names) , a young couple
with their kids.
They were students in my hometown.
Now they are serving impoverished
and sick people in a neighbouring state.
Once Sonia and I were returning from a village wedding
about 50 miles from Alld.
We ran into Den. who was surprised to
see us in the middle of the village in
the blistering May heat.
He was there on a mission to sink a well
for peasants who were facing
shortage of water.
I am proud and blessed
to be a part of the family of God.

19 Fertilize my soul:

Sita said...

Hey Amrita,
I've been invited a couple of times to join Facebook and never did...perhaps I will now...isn't it neat to connect with old friends...

Ok, Amrita..this really tickled my Trini humour...
"Sometimes she used to wash it with detergent.
Maybe it took too much shampoo..."
Take care,
Love, Sita

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

I say this over and over, but I do have to mention how much I love your writing and your droll humor!

I have managed to have a blog, but I think Facebook is just too modern for me. I can't keep up with technology! But I am glad you are able to use it to find your old friends, how nice!

Roo said...

hey dear amrita...i agree with you re FB....i stayed away for so long but had a lonley moment and signed up....it is really neat connecting with old past friends....and YOU!

xoxo love you

Felisol said...

Dear Amrita,
I'm glad you've found old friends again.
Nothing's better than tidy up those rusty bonds.

I simply did not have time for FB.
Lots and lots of everyday chit-chat
from my FB mates.
I feel comfortable and not so tided up being a blogger.

Enjoy the company of your friends, they have done an impressive amount of work.
From Felisol

Amrita said...

My dear pals, its a joy to smile and laugh with you - otherwise my life would be drab and colorless.
I used to be full of silliness and laughter when younger, but the burdens of life have toned me down quite a bit.
I cherish the happy times I 've had with friends i have featured in this post. There are so many good stories.

Kathryn said...

Sweet Amrita - isn't the internet & its ability to connect folks wonderful!? I get so focused on the good that i forget the bad stuff (like what happened to David a couple of days ago).

I didn't mind what you said about my critique of our pastor. I truly appreciate sincere comments, especially ones that "stretch me."

In America it seems that some folks are always looking for the "perfect church" which will meet all their needs & speak directly to them & be simply wonderful. I know a few folks that go to the "perfect church" for a season, until it stops being perfect for them, & then they move on. (Not all people who switch churches fall into this, of course.)

Sometimes in my blog i'm trying to explain why, even tho i don't always agree with our pastor, i do believe God has called us to be at that church. Especially in this culture where many people would just move on to the next one.

The number one reason that we stay there is because the pastor & the church truly truly love God & seek to follow Jesus.

Blessings on you & your family. I hope your sister continues to improve.

David C Brown said...

It's good to see some of the Lord's people (especially, for me, Indians!)

Pia said...

you mentioned about long beautiful hair, i just heard from tyra banks that the weaves most american used as extensions were indian hairs. she said that indian hair are so beautiful and expensive. they're like class A hair extensions. indians cut them as part of a religious ritual (not sure about this though) then those who collect the hair sell them to the americans and the americans use this as hair extensions.

i'm so glad that your mom is doing so much better now. haven't spoken to mom yet to get her mri result but later i will. i think my dad went with my mom for her check up.

Julia Dutta said...

Its True Amrita, Facebook also got me in touch with a lot of my friends with whom I had totally lost touch. Great forum really :)))

Becka said...

Its so great to see God use people,
in his way,How Wonderful.!.!.

How is your sister doing ?

Amrita said...

Thank you friends.

Yeah FB 's been a positive experience for me .
Another fellowship brother found me yesterday. He is an agronomist in Maylaysia , also involved in mission work. His 3 beautiful daughters also want to be missionaries..

Hi Becka your anniversary slides are fun to watch.

Pia you are right. Some temples where hair is shorn off in keeping with a promise to the diety is gatthered up and sold off.It generates a lot of income too.

Amrita said...

Thank you friends.

Yeah FB 's been a positive experience for me .
Another fellowship brother found me yesterday. He is an agronomist in Maylaysia , also involved in mission work. His 3 beautiful daughters also want to be missionaries..

Hi Becka your anniversary slides are fun to watch.

Pia you are right. Some temples where hair is shorn off in keeping with a promise to the diety is gatthered up and sold off.It generates a lot of income too.

Amrita said...

Dear Kathryn, I appreciate your openess and sharing.
I know some folk who are church hoppers here too.
.

Amrita said...

Dear Kathryn, I appreciate your openess and sharing.
I know some folk who are church hoppers here too.
.

Anonymous said...

Indeed...the online world has made all of us come a little bit closer to each other & really not feel the absence...it indeed is so nice to find lost friends once again....have a great fun filled weekend!

Michelle said...

I usually read your blog through a reader so I clicked through and found your template had changed! It looks great!

Anonymous said...

I don't do FaceBook and I don't plan to in the future, but in your case it's obvious it has been a major +.
Thank you for sharing these stories, you have some very interesting friends. ~Mary

Amrita said...

Hi Michelle, I like looking a Ukraine through your eyes.


Dear Mary, thank you for visiting. I got in touch with my non-blogging friends. Actually all my friends are non-bloggers, only one has a page.It fun connecting .

Terry said...

this is excellent amrita..meeting old friends like this!
betty and i are meeting so many friends that we went to school with when we lived in my beloved manitoba.
i joined face book finally so i could see how my nieces and nephews are doing but i am very careful about my privacy,
i like the face book and my blog because we have so much freedom to put a little gospel into it and a person just never knows, eh, amrita who will be reading that needs the lord....love terry