Wednesday 19 August 2009

Meat Or Without It



Watch this little fellow play the U2 song' With Or Without You. '
He is a child prodigy. Look at his fingering and the expression on his face. He doesn 't need a tutor.


All carnivorous beings in our state got

a tongue tying shock on Sunday when the papers announced that

in keeping with the Jain (religious sect) festival of

Paryushan Parva there would be no sale of any meat product

for the duration of 9 days..

The Jains are a minority religious sect

who advocate total vegetarianism. In fact the orthodox ones

cover their mouths and noses to keep

nano insects and other fleshy UFOs

from entering their digestive system.

Of course this drew the consternation and ire of

everyone involved in the meat industry (thousands)

(I almost wrote flesh trade).

The Holy month of Ramadan is beginning from August 24th

and the Muslim meat sellers need to earn

money in order to celebrate their month long festival.

Anyway the police enforced the order and several meat shops

were closed or partially closed.

I sent someone to buy doggie food for

Sheeba, fearing she might starve for the next 9 days.

And what do you know

the packet I buy for Rs 15 was selling for Rs 35.

Dogs were being fleeced right out of their skins.

Wonder how much the

chicken, mutton etc. cost?

(entrance to a Jain temple)

Anyway , after alot of brouhaha

and foot stamping (and tail wagging too)

It was discovered that the Supreme Court

order was valid only for the states of Rajasthan and Gujerat.

So all the carnivores of my state heaved and wagged a sigh of relief.

Here is Sheeba look quite washed out
after her civil rights protest.
Now she can have her victuals in peace.
Illustrates the proverb well -
"One man 's meat is another man 's
poison or livelihod"

14 Fertilize my soul:

Felisol said...

Dear Amrita,
you really live in the midst of a complex meeting place of all kind of religions.
It's a wonder it all turns out peacefully.
It must demand a great deal of adjustment and flexibility.
Can't be that easy for Sheba.
From felisol

Kathryn said...

You do make me laugh at times!

So glad that Sheba won't have to be vegetarian for that time.

Is your heat/humidity moderating?

Wishing God's blessings on you & your family this day.

Donetta said...

Wow that child's gift is amazing! What do you think perhaps our freezers are such a good store. I am thinking that in India a different world.

Sita said...

Tongue in cheek humour...love it!
We Trinis always have a hoot about 'stuff' that could only happen in TT...seems like your country has some of that too!

That kid is amazing....I love the guitar...
Take care,
Love, Sita

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

My son is forever threatening to follow Jainism. He gets a broom and walks around sweeping as he goes...I like a lot of the aspects of the Jains, actually...glad that the devout can wear clothes, though...

Your writing is hilarious. I always just about choke as your clever wording finally is processed by my mind...

How are you feeling? Hope that the summer cold or flu will release you from its grippe...

Herrad said...

Hi Amrita,
Sheeba is a lovely looking dog.
Came by to say hello and wish you well.
Hope you are having a good day.
Love,
Herrad

Gerry said...

That's pretty funny. If something like that happened in our country, stop the sale of meat for 9 days, I can't even imagine the outrage. Having become a vegetarian I am always glad when something happens to slow the meateaters down, some, as this recession. The dairy industry has been such a force here, and now there is consternation because people in a recession are cutting out a lot of the products made with milk,and some are even having to get rid of their dairy herds! The cow is not sacred in America. To me, a dairy cow lives a more miserable life now days, as do the animals being fattened up for market. No green pastures for them where we used to fatten the steers. They at least had a contented existence until they went to market. Well, I could go on all day. Interesting info about what goes on in India. I really enjoy reading about how life is lived there, complete with photos. Gerry

Donetta said...

I showed that to Dash and he is inspired:)

Crown of Beauty said...

You are indeed one witty lady, I agree with how Sita calls it, "tongue in cheek" humor. I was smiling all the way. Dear Amrita, I just love the way you are able to weave in your opinions so subtly through your narrative. I would love to meet you in person and give you a tight hug -- just for all the insights to your soul (and to India's soul as well) that you have shared on your blog.

I just happy for Sheeba, yes, she can definitely wag her tail again!

And thanks for dropping by my blog place again.

In answer to your query: My day maid (my housekeeper who does the daily chores of cleaning house, tending the garden, and washing clothes) takes very good care of my dogs whenever I am out of town. SHe feeds them a good mix of boiled minced beef, vegies, and rice, and bathes them twice a week.

The chicken binakol recipe will be featured on my blog one of these days, so just watch out for it.

Blessings on your day.

Love
Lidj

Buttercup said...

I could pretty easily go nine days without meat, but I am glad that Sheeba doesn't have to.

Mae said...

Amrita,

I really love your blog a lot. it is an expression of your devotion to Yashua. You really love God. Thank you for the messages you left in my blog. You are perfectly and encouragement to me.

Amrita said...

Thank you so much my sweet friends.

We live in a pluralistic society and the govt. wants to pacify and keep all groups happy...except the Christians, because we are associated with a foreign religion, I suppose.

We have so many hassles because of alll the religious observances and festivals , you can 't imagine. But we are used to it. What else can we do.

I freeze a little meat, but I have to be careful as our electricity is uncerain.

Penni I am amzed your son knows about the Jains. If he goes about with a broom clearing the way in front of him, hemight as well sweep the house too. LOL

The Jains are advocates of non violence in all its forms. They are peaceful people.

My mom and I eat meat 3 or 4 times amonth, so we were not perturbed by this.

I like my food to taste good whether it is just simple dal and rice ( lentil soup with boiled rice)

xashee's corner said...

your dog is a BEAUTY!! Thank you for sharing such a WONDEROUS community and religion. Have a FANTASTIC day! :D

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Hi Amrita!
I really enjoyed this little guy with his guitar! As you can imagine -- right down my line of interest! And I agree -- the expression on his face and his finger work is priceless to watch! thanks for sharing it!