Friday 7 August 2009

Shots from a Rickshaw

Two weeks ago I went to see an Aunt on her birthday
and took these photos from a moving rickshawCars parked in front of the Indian Coffee House.
All old colonial cities have the institution
of the Indian Coffee House.
It was a place for intellectuals and commoners
to gather and discuss politics and current affairs.
There were cubicles where families and
romantic couples could have South Indian meals.
As children we used to go there for outings.
A temporary shop being dismantled.


The IPEM building Institute of Psychological and Educational
Measurement, established by Presbyterian missionaries.
It is very successful and popular. They hold the TOFEL tests.

All Saints Cathedral

Stalls near the government offices.
People from rural areas who come to the city for
government work buy clothes etc. from
these cheap makeshift stalls.
The fruit and vegetable market
I shop here.One has to bargain quite a bit.
Fruit shops.
People are more interested in buying vegetables because fruit is so expensive.

The Board of Revenue office.
Established by the British. Its like the IRS.
My Dad worked here.
Another Government office
A car sales room.


Eklavya 's effigy.
He was a tribal boy who had to offer his
thumb to his guru in exchange
for mastery over archery.
This is another story.
The statue of our late Prime Minister Indra Gandhi.
I could only get her back.

As I passed through the affluent section of town,
I took pictures of the houses of wealthy people.



Above is the Circuit House -again from the British Raj.
It is a government/VIP guest house and
conference center.

I hope I did not bore you with
my zipping across town.

Found this interesting photo and caption
in today 's Hindustan Times newspaper.
Click and enlarge to read the fine print.
After completing a puja (worship) idols are supposed to be immersed in the river. These have been abandoned on the river bank.
Jesus said;God is a Spirit and those who worship Him,
must worship Him in Spirit and in Truth.
The Psalmist says;
I cannot run away from your Spirit O God.
*************************
God has not abandoned you.
Don 't try to run away from Him.

14 Fertilize my soul:

Felisol said...

Dear Amrita,
thank you for this most interest tour in your home city.
It's a magnificent town by any standards.
Who wouldn't like to be a part of this society?
Fro Felisol

Sherri Murphy said...

I love the photos of your country.What beautiful architecture in those ritzy homes.

Julie said...

I love all your photo's and the buildings are beautiful. The one VIP house looks just like one I saw in a movie.

Anonymous said...

Liked this beautiful tour of your city covering almost all the aspects of it...lovely shots & more importantly your ending lines....so true & meaningful !

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

I am never bored with photographs and information about other places, most especially India! I very much enjoy seeing them and reading your commentary.

I had a friend from India who was getting a PhD in physics. He would sometimes muse about the differences between the two countries. He told me, "The U.S. is the best place in the world to be rich, and the worst place to be poor. It's easier to be poor in India!"

We do have so many rules and regulations. Some places will not even allow you to dry clothes outside on a line. So much for saving some energy and money...it's hard on the poor. Of which I am now unfortunately one...LOL...

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Those are wonderful photos showing the typical everyday life of India. We learn so much from your intelligent posts and photos. Thanks for the post. God bless you always.

Nina in Portugal said...

Your photos are NEVER a bore! I love them!!

keep them coming!

Sita said...

Amrita,
Great pics. Love the painting on your header. Hope all is well with you, my dear friend.
Love, Sita

Paresh Palicha said...

Nice pics Didi, get the feel of typical North India.:)

Amrita said...

Dear friends, thank you for your valuable responses.
Penni what you say about the poor in the west is true.

madison said...

What great pics!

Moon Lie said...

As if I was sitting beside you when you took the pics. Very nice!

Kathryn said...

Amrita -

I've been away from the computer for most of a couple of days now. I so enjoyed catching up with you & seeing about life in your part of the world.

I don't comment often, but so appreciate all that you share with us. I was fascinated with India as a child & wanted to visit there. A couple of my favorite books are set in your country.

Blessings on you & your family!

Amrita said...

Thank you so much Madison, eha and Kathryn.

Kathryn have you read The God of small things". It won the Booker Prize.

There are some excellent Indian authors you will like.