Friday 10 December 2010

Flowers, Friends and Anguimorphs

This photo was taken by my Mama on the morning of the rickshaw mishap day.
Our winter garden (I should call it Christmas Garden) looks so colorful










A few more windows and iron frames are left to be painted. (In India one has to fortify their house with iron frames on the windows and verandas for security sake.) Then we will have to clean the stains, spots and spills. I bought some very expensive industrial level cleaning liquid for that -hope it does the job. I am taking my own sweet time to re-settle everything. Rushing tires me. But I am missing some nice Christmas music programs in various churches.
In India people start decorating their homes very close to Christmas or on Christmas Eve like we did. We have lots of music, church and institutional socials and dinners before that. And of course shopping and baking of cakes. Remember from last year, (photos too) I told you , people take their raw ingredients to the baker 's workhops and they bake their cakes etc for them. Rich Christmas fruit cakes are a must for North Indian Christians. A legacy of the British Raj. Wedding cakes are also baked this way.




These cute graphics are my friend Holly 's creations. She offers them free on HER BLOG
Penniwigs. She will brighten your celebrations.


You can also visit her Etsy shop and order graphics and special handmade jewelry. Holly very kindly sends me lovely gifts to brighten and cheer up Mama and me and good ol ' Sheeba.

Now for everyone like me who hates lizards there is good news.
LIZARD VENOM CAN TREAT HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE



Scientists claim to have found evidence that newly discovered venoms from 'anguimorph' lizards contain toxins which can be used to treat high blood pressure levels in people.
For its research, an international team, led by Dr Bryan Fry of University of Melbourne examined the unexplored group of venomous lizards called anguimorphs -- a group that includes monitor, alligator and legless lizards.
"We only recently discovered that venom in lizards was not restricted to the gila monster and beaded lizard, but it is in fact much more widespread - so we set out to examine this unique group, and discovered completely novel toxins.
"We showed a great diversity of toxins in anguimorph venoms. The drug design potential of these novel venoms is highlighted by the fact that three of these new toxins act to lower blood pressure," Dr Fry said.


The research took four years to complete and involved collecting venom from lizards all over the world, followed by complex laboratory studies to analyse the exact properties of the venom.
"It was a huge undertaking but the result is well worth the effort - we have discovered completely novel venoms, and shed light on evolution of venom systems in animals.
"The results obtained highlight the importance of utilising evolution-based search strategies for biodiscovery and emphasise the largely untapped drug design and development potential of lizard venoms," Dr Fry said.
The findings have been published in the 'Journal of Molecular and Cellular Proteomics'
(Taken from Indian Express)
We have a bunch of resident lizards in our house. They are quite friendly but assume they own the property. At least they can be put to proper use . (smile)
I am so glad India snubbed China and is participating in the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony for the Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo in Oslo today
Read the story HERE and more HERE

19 Fertilize my soul:

Yours truly said...

Nice pics, Amritha. Your line about taking the cakes to the bakery for baking brings back memories...
By the way, I don't think your house lizards have any venom.

Simply Shelley said...

Hi Amrita,love the photo of you...wishing you and your dear mama the merriest of the Christmas season...God bless,Shelley

Anonymous said...

Hi Amrita, I'm glad your painting job is almost over. Putting everything back in place is as much work as taking it down...and so tiring. That Holly is so creative and generous. I love her graphics. I hope you and yours have a very Merry Christmas! Sally

Amrita said...

Dear Kiran, my lizards look pretty harmless, in the summer they walk around on the floor.

Hi Shellythank you so much. Wish you the same.

monsoon dreams said...

Hi beautiful model :-),
Lizards and blood pressure!thats new to me.Thanks for the information,dear.
Just cant wait to see your newly painted home in detail.
btw,you have a beautiful garden.

Amrita said...

Thank you Monsoon Dreams.I love your profile photo its so cute.

Hope th e weather remains bright and sunny so we can enjoy th e garden. Once foggy an d cloudy days arrive we can' t step out in the freezing cold and the flowers wither.

I have high BP so this news interested me.

Amrita said...

Hugs for you Sallypaper.


Dear friends I added links on the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony on this post.

India is participating in the ceremony to honor the Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo. Chine has been campaingning against it.

Nadwrażliwiec said...

Such a beatiful garden! Roses seems so fresh. I didn't know that in India there are roses - I thought that the Indian climate is too hot for them. You must be proud of Your garden - it is so colourful.
God bless You Amrita.

Anonymous said...

our roses here are still blooming also...yours are so pretty...isn't it wonderful all the new discoveries about our natural resources such as lizards..I truly think that many illnesses could be cured or relived if we looked to nature more....

Kathryn said...

I love the pic your mama snapped of you. And the pics of the flowers are stunning. :)

Hoping your Advent season is going well. I wish we here in the US waited until closer to Christmas to decorate, but that is out of fashion. People want it NOW!

Sending you hugs.

Arts&Disability said...

Beautiful pictures Amrita - but the real rose & beauty is YOU! I love that picture of you by your mom, of course!
Love,
Sonshine

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

The flowers in your garden are lovely and blooming because God is showing His pleasure over your life and activities. You have served as a beacon of God's light in your country. God bless you more for that. It is heartwarming that scientists were able to discover that venom of some lizards can lower blood pressure in man. I hope they can finally discover cures for cancer and AIDS. India is a country with pride and dignity and did not kowtow to the whimsical caprices of arrogant China. Alas, my country was one of those filthy dogs running with their tails behind their legs. It's a shame that my country did not send a representative to the Nobel awarding ceremony in Norway under some guise. But our countrymen know the truth. Thanks for the informative post. God bless you all always.

Nikki (Sarah) said...

loved looking at the flowers. Here it's so cold...no flowers at all.

Gerry said...

Your flowers are very beautiful. Interesting about the venom. I read about the Chinese dissident being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize but not that India decided to support it. Even countries sometimes have a tough time deciding to support if another very powerful country is boycotting. The photograph of you is beautiful. I can't wait to see photographs of the house after it is all painted!

Felisol said...

Dear Amrita,
How beautiful your house and your Christmas garden are developing.
You should be proud of yourself, having brought forwards such good results both in and out doors.
I know there lays lots and lots o effort and strains behind.

I'm also happy that my second country chose to be brave and independent and sent representatives to Oslo for the Nobel Price award ceremony.
It certainly would have been a major set back, if communist China had forced super power India to abstain for participating.
The list of the non-participant sure said a lot bout the situation in the world of today.Now; I must get on with my everyday chores. December sure is a busy month in Norway.
Please, send my greetings to your Mama.
From Felisol

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hello Amrita,

I am amazed at the beautiful flowers you have posted.I have myself tried to grow flowers for a long time but I never succeeded.It is a great credit to you that you can have such a wonderful garden.There is always a delight and excitement in seeing flowers.They not only look pretty and delicate but they always make me believe that they are there to sing God's praise in their own beautiful style.

I hope your house will be ready before Christmas so that you can settle down and enjoy your Christmas in the true spirit.

Best wishes to you and your mom.
Joseph

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

Great photos, Amrita. I especially like the Christmas decorations.

Amrita said...

Thank you dear friends.

Zimb, India has plenty of biodiversity plants from various climates can grow here from, evergreens, tropical, desert and marine etc.

Amrita said...

Dear Felisol, a big applause for norway to support thos e struggling ffor freedom and democracy.