Thursday 16 December 2010

Gobi Manchurian for Premier Wen Ziabao


Chinese Premier Wen Ziabao is on a state visit to India. In his team there are 400 top businessmen and diplomats. Mr Obama ha d about 200 in his entourage.China is India 's largest neighbour and looms above us like a fire breathing dragon. We have border issues to settle with China also infiltration, claiming our North eastern state of Arunachal Pradesh as South Tibet. China has designed its own map of India, showing the whole of Kashmir as part of Pakistan and Arunachal Pradesh as South Tibet. The Tibetan nation in exile has found refuge in India. The Dragon is very chummy with Pakistan too. There is competition in the business and economy sector.After Independence we fought a war with China. It ended with the slogan Hindi -Chini bhai - bhai (brothers) but now it should be Hindi-Chini bye - bye.
Anyway, to celebrate the Chinese visit I decided to make Gobi Manchurian today. Actually our garden is yielding quite a lot of gobis or cauliflower so I wanted to try different gobi recipes instead of just one kind.Gobi Manchurian is an Indian invention. The Chinese have not even heard of it mind you. But its very popular in India. Try it. Its easy to make and can be eaten as a side dish.
Cauliflower/Gobi Manchurian

Ingredients for cauliflower Manchurian :

1 medium Gobhi (Cauliflower)
3/4 cup Flour (Maida)
1 tbsp Corn Flour
Salt to taste
1 Chopped green chili (omit it if you like)
11/2 tbsp Garlic Paste
11/2 tbsp Ginger Paste
1 cup finely Chopped Onions
Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves
1/4th tsp Ajinomoto (omit it if you want)
2 tbsp Soya Sauce
2-3 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
2 tbsp Oil

Preparation of gobhi manchurian :
Make a paste of maida, corn flour and salt using water.
Take a tsp. of ginger and garlic paste, add it to the paste.
Dip the gobi florets in the paste and deep fry till golden brown. Keep aside.
Heat oil in another pan and add the left ginger & garlic paste, chopped onions and green chili to it.
Now, mix aginomoto, soya sauce and tomato sauce to it.
Add fried Gobi kept aside and mix well. Garnish it with coriander leaves. Serve the gobi Manchurian hot.



Earlier I ha d made Quiche Lorraine, so I thought I' d share a photo here. My quiche was very simple -tomato and cheese with eggs. But it tasted just as nice. On the side is my home made cream of mushroom soup, another favorite .When I watch the arrogant chefs on Masterchef India, I am thankful I don' t have such superior and complicated tastes. I could be a ' honey and locust ' person like John the Baptist. LOL.

************************

I went all the way to the bank today to get my papers approved, but the manager was absent. He was in a meeting elsewhere and would be available after 2 pm. Disappointed I returned home. I called him on his cell phone at half past 2 but he was still not in his office.

I gave up!. Tomorrow I will call him to make sure he is in his office before traipsing all the way there.LOL.

*****************************

Painter Pradeep could only do one gate with the paint he had bought, he couldn 't afford any more.So I bought paint for the second gate. Just had to do it. God will provide for the expense.

Take care all of you. God bless you.

13 Fertilize my soul:

monsoon dreams said...

I looove chinese food!
In India,always make sure the officials are in their seats(not their specs) b4 u take the trouble to go to the place.

Hope you are ok,Amrita.
My living room ceiling caught fire yesterday.By God's grace i woke up at the right time(3 am).I am perfectly fine .All those firefighters came :-)

Julie said...

The meals look wonderful, I love cauliflower so will have to try the recipe. the quiche looks yummy, I haven't had one for a long time and I have never made mushroom soup, is it difficult?

Felisol said...

Dear Amrita,
You'll have to collect all your lovely Indian recipe in a book.
Through the years you have describe so many good looking dishes, I'm amazed at your skills.
Just now before Christmastime I mostly eat traditional food. After New Year I usually am in the mood for something new.
The traditional food is very rich on fat and meat.
This was how they managed to survive the long and cold winters before all the vitamins were produced in pills-
They also needed fat to keep warm.
We have snow and 10 below zero.
Tomorrow Serina and another girl from her school who's living in the neighbor village will be driving together of the two mountain ridges, also two times in 3 kilometer underwater tunnels. Please, help me pray for her safe return.(and that it must stop snowing tomorrow, one can hardly see, while driving through snow.)

I wish you and your Mama a Blessed Christmas and New Year,
Yours Felisol

Anonymous said...

the recipe sounds really good and the photo even better...the China Dragon is creeping this way too...buying up alot of properties and businesses...

Paresh Palicha said...

Didi, can't comment much about your recipes as my expertise is just limited to eating. :P I like dry Manchurian very much.

http://www.amul.com/images/topicaladv.jpg

Thought this image goes well with your post.:-)

Amrita said...

My goodness Nina, what a scare. Hope nothing was damaged. Your smoke alarm must have alerted you.We 've had out doors fires so far. 2 years ago I scorched myy kitchen window. I am OK, just get tired coping with the daily grind.Dear Julie, mushroom soup is very easy to make. I will try and post the recipe. We get soup mixes here but I prefeer homemade soup , its healthier.Today I am planning to bak e some whole wheat bread, hope I am able to do it.



Hi Paresh, your cartoon is great.

Dear Felisol, people living in cold countries need to eat rich warming foods to keep warm. Our climate affects our diet.
I will pray for Serina an d her friend. May angels accompany them on this journey.

Dear Dani,in this morning' s newspaper I glance d at some of the hits an d misses during the Chinese visit. Hope relations improve.

Carol E Wyer said...

The recipe looks wonderful Amrita.

I hope the bank manager finally turns up for you.
I hope too that next year brings you happiness and prosperity.
Heartfelt warm wishes

Carol

Nadwrażliwiec said...

This dish seems so interesting :) But this week I will help in preparing traditional Polish dishes for Christmas Eve ;)

David C Brown said...

We can be thankful that God is working even in the dragon's domain!

Grace be with you.

Nikki (Sarah) said...

we just got home from eating chinese...my absolute favorite....and these other dishes...look so yummy

Gerry said...

Your food always looks wonderful, including the loaf of whole wheat bread you made. Makes me wish I could come to dinner! I am glad you are still motivated! I just made some of my home made potato salad. About all the energy to cook I had!

JI said...

Those dishes look mouth wateringly delicious Amrita! I’m looking forward to Christmas Day lunch with family on Saturday. We will be having the traditional English Christmas food including roast lamb, roast turkey, roast potatoes, gravy, brussel sprouts, peas, parsnips, cranberry sauce and garlic bread.

It is a pity that China and India don’t have better relations. They are neighbours and the potential for trade in huge. Both are rising economically, although China is certainly in the lead. China has especially succeeded in the wide scale provision of basic education. India could learn from this.

Best wishes,
JI.

Amrita said...

Dear JI your Christma s lunch is too good to read about! Enjoy.