Wednesday 1 December 2010

Ouch!

Today after the painters left I went to the market to buy some groceries.


I had 3 bags so I took a rickshaw home. I asked the rickshaw driver to take me through a side road which I know is in a state of disrepair. It is broken and pebbly , full of pot holes ( but a shorter route). Many of our city roads are in this condition.
(web photo of a rickshaw)

The rickshaw lurched on a stony patch and one package started to fall. When I leaned down to get hold of it I could not balance myself and fell right off the vehicle onto the road, with all my bags flying around and my handbag under the wheels of the rickshaw.

I took the impact of the fall on my left elbow and shoulder and was in such pain, I could not get up. Two very kind gentlemen (family people) immediately came to my rescue and helped me up. They picked up my things. I was worried for my handbag as it contained my cell phone , ATM card and cash, but it was safe. I thanked the men profusely, they were so concerned about my well being.
When I got home I did not tell my Mom about the fall , she would get very disturbed. Good she did not notice my muddy clothes with ketchup on them. A small sachet of ketchup had torn open and stained my jeans. There is big gaping wound on my left elbow where the skin scraped off. I washed it off with Dettol. But I could not apply the bandage all by myself . I had to take Mom 's help.
I told her I had scraped my elbow 'on ' the rickshaw.Please God forgive me for not saying 'under it '. She was very alarmed and asked me a few questions like Did you slip ? I could honestly answer ;"No ".
I have pain in my left shoulder, elbow and arm also back, but I am glad no bone is fractured or cracked. I can swing my arm up and down , I have movement, although its painful. I have taken a painkiller and rubbed a pain ointment. Got to grit my teeth and bear it. Both my knees hurt too.

Praise God I am in one bruised piece. This is the second time I have fallen off a rickshaw. Once Sonia and I were in a rickshaw with my then 9 or 10 year old nephew (he is 23 now) , the rickshaw wheel broke landing us on the road. But no one was hurt in fact we got up laughing to hide our embarrassment.

27 Fertilize my soul:

Gerry said...

Ouch, guess rickshaws can be dangerous. Looks somewhat like balancing yourself on a bicycle. I do hope you are recovering okay.

Sandy said...

I am so sorry to hear of your
accident, Amrita. I pray you
will soon be on the mend.
Thank the Lord you did not
break any bones.
Blessings,
Sandy

Terra said...

I hope you recover quickly, dear friend. What an unexpected thing, you were grocery shopping and fell from a rickshaw. That is just as well that you did not upset your mother with the full story.

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

I hope a bone did not crack, Amrita. If you notice swelling, heat in the arm, or more pain, please seek an xray. What an awful thing to happen!

Kathryn said...

Wow. Travel is dangerous!

Hope you are feeling better soon, and that your pain remedies help.

Anonymous said...

I'll keep you in prayer...what an ordeal...I know how I felt about a month ago when I fell trying to help my son start his car...the second day is usually worse so be sure to get plenty of rest....and what Penniwig said is true...sometimes a cracked bone doesn't show itself right away...

Nadwrażliwiec said...

I can see very often in my city elder women with similar problem, but in trams and buses. If I can, I help them take their bags to the vechicle. I had never gone by rikshaw. Are they high? Do You take any steroids or suplements against Your arthritis?

carolyn said...

Oh, goodness, I will be praying for you!

Felisol said...

Dear Amrita,
Praying for your soon recovery. It must have been a scary experience for you.
I hope the poor driver wasn't hurt or his cart seriously damaged. After all this is his way of earning a living.
I was almost a wonder with the two gentlemen helping you out. I wonder, were they not sent by God?
Our shepherd is always with us.
May he also heal your wounds soon.
My very best thoughts and prayers.
Yours Felisol

Donetta said...

Oh Sweetie I do hope you mend well and quickly. I am so sorry to hear of your pains. Grateful for the kind
men who helped you.

Sita said...

Amrita, if this was FB and there was Dislike button I would press it like 10 times! I'm pretty sure you are aching terribly. And it is harder yet to have to 'hide' it from Mom. I'll pray for you. Do take care and rest a bit.
Love, Sita

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Oh I'm sorry to hear that you met an accident while riding a rickshaw. I pray for your immediate divine healing. By the stripes of Jesus, your wounds are healed. Amen. Please be very careful when you are moving around. Never forget to mentally immerse yourself with the blood of Jesus to protect yourself against all harm and attacks of the enemy. I hope and pray the the Lord will send His ministering angels to protect, guide and guard you against all harm. Thanks for the post. God bless you all always.

Anonymous said...

Aw... hope the elbow heals soon. Poor you.

Vaisakh said...

Dear Amrita,

This is very unfortunate...
Heal soon...
regards and peace,
Vaisakh.

Yours truly said...

Ouch indeed...
Hope the pain goes away soon.
Will pray for you.

Amrita said...

Dear friend s thank you so much for your prayers and kind supportive words. The pain is less today and the wound is healing .

Julie said...

Oh Amrita, I am so glad you didn't break anything. Sounds like quite the tumble. I hope you feel better soon.

John Cowart said...

Hi Amrita,

I'm glad you were not hurt worse. I didn't realize rickshaws were dangerous, they look like stable vehicles in pictures.

John

Amrita said...

Hi John, rickshaws are OK, iits th e bad roads and crazy traffic wich is dangerous.

Terra said...

I already posted here about your rickshaw accident, and have a question for you. I love the photo you took of the cover of my book and the tuberose. Could I post that photo on my two blogs, and of course list you as the photographer and link to your blog?

Amrita said...

Oh yes Terra, do go ahead an d take the photo. I am not a very good photographer, I just like to show my online buddies a bit of the life around me. I have some elephant photos lined up. I took them in the bazaar.

Buttercup said...

Amrita, so glad that you are feeling less pain. Continued prayers for a quick and complete recovery. Please take care of yourself. You are very important to all of us!

Mrs. Mac said...

Hi Amrita .. hoping you are feeling better by now. What a scary incident!

N Abram said...

Dear Amrita, I hope that you have recovered! I fell off my bike a month ago, just lost my balance and hurt my elbow you and I do sympathise deeply. I was a bit embarrassed! Take care. God bless.

So, I Begin this Journey...... said...

Oh Amrita....I do hope you are recovering well!
How scary that must have been for you.
Yet how thankful you must have been for the men who helped you.

Besides ketchup on your jeans....I'm so happy you were not seriously injured to the point where you would be hospitalized.

You take care..... and please no more short cuts for awhile!

Peace&Love,
Lis

Abigail Jasmine said...

I am sorry to hear you got hurt!
I hope you are healing up fast!
I will say a prayer for you tonight...

Lots of love!

Amrita said...

Thank you, Abigail, Lis, Mrs Mac, Nicky an d Buttercup.



Dear Buttercup an dMrs Mac I had trouble opening your blog. Will try again