Tuesday 15 June 2010

FIFA 2010-The Waka Waka Fever






The Grand opening of the FIFA World Cup took place last Friday followed by exciting matches which are keeping us glued to the telly in the evenings.Although India is not on the international football scene (cricket is worshipped here), the game is followed and cheered enthusiastically.
Bengal. Kerala and Goa are the 3 states where the game is most popular
.(Above)Lionel Messi ( ARG)

My fav teams are
Argentina
Brazil
Portugal
Italy
S, Korea
France
Germany
Japan
England

(Above)Cristiano Ronaldo (POR)
Football paraphernalia and momentoes are selling like hot cakes here- team jersey 's, caps, posters and cut outs etc. Those who can afford it are buying the latest LCD and plasma TVs to watch the event in style with adoring friends and family. ..planning football parties.I remember the year when we were all living together and my sister Anju , BIL Prem and their 2 kids were visiting from Nigeria. We were a big jolly group of spectators. Prem used to provide the snacks and Sonia needed no nudging to make cups of tea or sherbet.Our friend Tigi and his German wife, Astrid used to come from across the river to watch the matches with us.One night everyone was centered around the TV , Prem and Anju were sitting/laying on an old camp bed and just as Tigi and Astrid entered the room, the bed broke and they crashed to the floor. We found that more entaining than the 90 minutes

Oh! those were the days. Its always fun to watch a sporting event with a good group of friends.The more the merrier. What do you think?



Its been very hot an d humid these past few days and electricity has been playing truant.

I 've had to take extra pain killers for my flared up joint pain.


This evening a woman came to return some money she borrowed from me. Recently I heard a dreadful news about her which would normally make me want to hate her. But when I saw her I did not feel any anger or animosity towards her. God wiped it all away otherwise I wouldn 't even want to look at her face. I know how the sister felt when she visited the convict in "Dead Man Walking".


Sports does not build character

It reveals it

- James Wooden

In the midst of the blaring of the vuvuzelas (South African horn) I am reminded of the sporting adventure of life
In the New Testament 1 Corinthians 9 says-



" 24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize
25Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. 27No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."

I have to examine myself and train myself so that I may not be disqualified.

If you are cheering for any team let me know and I will join with you.


16 Fertilize my soul:

monsoon dreams said...

amrita,
i am not very interested in sports.and that vuvuzela noise is so headache inducing.but i love waka waka song,both english and spanish versions.

Holly, the Old Western Gal said...

The U.S. doesn't pay much attention to soccer, usually...we are more into American football, I guess...I agree about the fun of friends and families watching a sporting event together, it really doesn't matter what the event is -- the fun is in the chat, the sharing, etc!!!

Glad the lady brought back the money she owed, perhaps she is turning over a new leaf?

Gerry said...

Ever since my son Dan played varsity basketball on a good high school team we have been basketball fans so naturally I have been watching the final round with the Lakers trying to beat the Celtics for the title. Soccer and hockey are kind of mysteries to me! But I hope you very much enjoy your watching. I had to learn to watch football with my 3 sons!

Pat said...

I'm not much of a sports fan..so I'll try to keep from showing my ignorance with a comment!
Want to hear something strange? Your blog title shows up on my sisterhood of the traveling apron blog on my web page! I don't know how that could happen, but it did! LOL! If you go to my living on grace page and scroll down to the sisterhood on my blog roll you'll see it.
Blog world is very mysterious!

Felisol said...

Dear Amrita,
I'm sad that you are hurting, rheumatic pains are dreadful.
I use hot water bottle to make the muscles relax.
Sometimes it helps.

I'm proud that you won a victory by not judging the visiting lady.
A story always have at least two sides.
I feel I have acted wrongly today, to a friend even.
Oh,I continue to be to soon to act. The old said, "Let's sleep on it" (meaning, thinking the matter thorough over.)
Not my stark side, I'm afraid.
I may have to eat humble pie because of that.

I watch football too.
It's great.
Favorite teams.
1.Argentina
2.Brazil
3.Germany
4.Italy
5.Ghana
I don't think the English can make it.
They haven't won since 1966, and even that was a dubious victory.

monsoon dreams said...

forgot to say,i know how it feels to have jointpain, coz i am suffering from it.

Amrita said...

I really love having conversations with you my dear friends.Thank you so much.

Dear Nina,(MD) thank you for your sweet concern and thoughtfulness. You are a diamond.

Hi Holly hope the mystery is over and you found out what 's squeaking in the rafters?

Pat by mistake I had posted this entry on the SS blog but I corrected my mistake.

Dear Felisol, our choices match . Its such fun.

Hi Gerry,I like football because of its skills and power, and it doesn 't last forever like cricket.

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Yes, it's the World Cup fever. The whole world is agog over the 2nd greatest sports spectacle in the world, second only to the Summer Olympics. My favorite teams are Spain, Brazil, Italy and Germany. Japan and South Korea are also doing well as of this writing. I hope one of our favorite teams will win. Thanks for the post. God bless you always.

Mel Avila Alarilla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dick said...

No fever for me, lol

Amrita said...

Come on Dich cheer for Holland and Denmark..

Hi Mel, enjoy the games. I could only watch a little bit today, I let my Mum watch her soaps altho she does not mind me watching sports. But I did ghouse woork and some blogging.

Sharodindu said...

During FIFA World CUP I miss kolkata most...
this time My fav is Germany
presently I've no TV to watch the matches.. but soon I'll have one :)
Thanks for the post:)

Sita said...

Hey Amrita,
Since neither Canada nor Trinidad are in the playoffs, I'm cheering for everyone, except N. Korea--I honk my horn for every flag I see...Toronto is home to all the nations, so there is a party every day! (;
I remember once having to face someone who had hurt me..and praying...when I finally looked inot her eyes, God clearly said to me "She's NOT the enemy..."..and I saw straight into heart...wonded yet beautiful...the evil lay in Satan...
Anyway, do take care, Love you,
Sita

monsoon dreams said...

amrita,
thanks for ur kind words dear.i just want to be an instrument of the Lord,though i keep failing Him.
praying for ur sister.

Michelle said...

I am slowly learning to enjoy soccer/football! Unfortunately Ukraine is not playing in the World cup so I can't cheer for them! I will be cheering for my home country, the US of course! :) But I also like Brazil and England!

Amrita said...

Hi Michelle, good to hear from you.

Todays (Thurs) matches are good.

ARG takes on S Korea. I like to see Maradona dancing on the sidelines.