Tuesday 29 June 2010

Summer Unlimited

We had joy,we had fun
We had seasons in the sun....
(words from a pop song I used to listen to as a teenager
forgot the rest of it)
Sheeba chasing butterflies in the sun
Unaffected by the shimmering heat.

I give her a drenching when she feels uber hot.
Cools her off for a bit.


My fruity grapefruit tree.
The fruit will ripen by December.


The bark of the tree has white spots like these.
And in some place s the bark peels off.
Jags thinks the tree is dying.
I hope not.
Its about 25 years old.
I have lost some of our citrus trees
to disease.

Can anyone tell me what
is happening to this tree?
And some solution?

I am drying mango seeds to plant in the rainy season.
Two mango trees succumbed to disease.
So I want to plant new ones.
I will also buy some saplings from the govt. nursery.

Today we did not have electricity for more than 7 hours.
Nobody gives any explanation.
The whole day is ruined
by the 110 degree heat
and stifling humidity.

And you emerge out of it
like a piece of burnt toast

Or better still-
a prehistoric mummified fossil


Dug up from near the pyramids .
(Feels good to romanticise it.)




At best one can pretend
one is enjoying the benefits of a sauna

in an luxurious spa.
You can' t get more positive than that.
-------------
Let me tell you friends
that today I am much better.
I was able to visit Aunt V in hospital too.
And I have decided to leave
Sheeba 's leftovers
for Naughty at the
edge of my pavement,
so that I don' t have to walk
on the pebbles.

14 Fertilize my soul:

Nadwrażliwiec said...

First time in my life I see grapefruit tree so real. You make Your photos very well. How are You? I hope You feel better.

N Abram said...

Dear Amrita, I am so glad that you are feeling better. Your photos are so funny in this post! Today hasn't been as hot as yesterday but still lovely out and 'boiling' in my classroom! lol Have a blessed evening! x

Felisol said...

Dear Amrita,
I'm happy to learn that you are feeling better today.
So sorry for your grapefruit tree. I know nothing about citrus trees. You've better search the internet. There's an answer to almost anything.
I know you have to protect the tree when there are wounds in the bark. Seal the bark, so that insects cannot come in and hurt the tree.
Gunnar bought something at a plant school, when our neighbor damaged our trees. That seems to have worked out just fine.

Nadwrażliwiec said...

I read last sentences now. Thanks God :)

Nancy said...

Oh my Amrita....110 degrees and no electricity....Mercy ! I shall not complain of one little thing here. Bless you...and yes your pictures are wonderful. In spite of everything you have a great sense of humour.

Holly, the Old Western Gal said...

The heat and humidity sound terrible. I know what it is like. But I know it affects your health adversely although you are very brave about it.

Naughty does not know what a lucky dog he is.

monsoon dreams said...

amrita,
what sense of humour!!i appreciate your ieas of positive thinking :-)
and i'm glad you are fine physically too.
i know nothing about the trees,otherwise i'd have helped,dear.looks like it has some disease.i think you can take help from the local agriculture office.

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Oh how I wore out THAT 45rpm!

We had joy
We had fun
We had seasons in the sun!

I can still see it on my turntable!

Thanks for planting the tune in my head!

Khyra says HI!

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Amrita:)

Very humorous post and photos. I suppose this is the positive way of looking at a difficult situation. I am glad you are feeling better.

We have monsoon here in Kochi and it is raining cats and dogs. The climate has cooled down.

A lot of time is being spent in watching FIFA football matches.

I know how difficult it is in hot climate because I lived in Bhopal for three years and I had a tough time adjusting to the climate.Fortunately I was transferred to Kochi. Many times I was offered promotions if I am prepared to go to Kanpur but I refused the promotions.

My best wishes to you and your family:)
Joseph

John Cowart said...

I'm glad you are feeling better.
Your weather seems much like ours here in Florida. Glad Sheba seems to enjoy it.

Pat said...

"but the wine and the song like the seasons have all gone"...I remember that song too!
Seven hours without power in any weather is too long, and not acceptable! My heart goes out to you. I would look like an over cooked noodle!

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

My God what terrible experience that was, having no electricity for 7 hours at a burning temperature of 110 degrees. Shame on the electric company for gross mismanagement. Although India is already considered an industrial country with one of the fastest growing economies in the world, the benefits do not trickle down on the countryside because of the massive population of India and the inherent incompetence and corruption in high places of the government. Very much like the Philippines where many areas in our country are still without electricity, safe potable water and adequate toilet facilities. I suggest you seek the help of a professional tree surgeon to help rehabilitate your dying tree. Cases of diseased trees indicate the presence of destructive wood worms or termites in your area. Only a tree surgeon will know that. You are always in my prayers as you struggle against the onslaught of the enemy. Thanks for your post. God bless you always.

Donetta said...

Hello Darling
well I may have an answer for you
Funny too I am holding a large book 700+ pages and looked up in the index, opened the book just to THE VERY PAGE! to answer after some study this may be the issue

Gray Mold/botrytis
Plants affected Trees,ect....
Symptoms
Dead and discolored patches develop on the stems and leaves. Rapid deterioration may occur, causing the upper parts of the stem to die. Fungal spores develop on decaying plant material.
cause The fungi botrytis cinerea and on snowdrops (galanthus) B. galanthina, which thrive in damp conditions adn where air currents or by rain splash. Fruits may also become infected by contact with those already diseased. Hard, black resilient sclerotia (fungal resting bodies), produced on plant remains, fall to the ground and may cause later infections.
Control avoid injury to plants, clear up dead and dying plant material, and provide good air circulation. Remove affected area. Spray with a fungicide that contains captan ( I think that is like a hot pepper perhaps a dilution of water and HOT peppers)
or ferbam
Do not plant annuals too closely at first.

Hope that helps sis
funny right to the page a huge book just opened right up! God sure blesses and redeems our time

Amrita said...

Dear Dinettta thank you for sending me such a informative and helpful repkly. I shall go to the plant shop and ask them for a spray etc.

Hope your plants and chicken are doing good. Sorry about Prissy.