Saturday 1 November 2008

Every Dog has His Day

(photo from Cute Overload)

Earlier this week the dog worship festival was celebrated in Nepal.I read about it in my newspaper and thought I must post it here.Sheeba wants to immigrate to Nepal.LOL

Taken from Hindustan Times -
The proverb—Every dog has his day — literally came true on Monday when people in Nepal, the world's last Hindu nation, worshipped their dogs with utmost devotion.
Despite the transformation of Nepal into a “secular nation”, people did not forget to worship their dogs on the day of Kukur Tihar, and protect their families from destruction. The festival is also known as Narak Chaturdashi.
Big red tikas (red dots)— a paste of vermilion, curd and rice — were put on dogs' foreheads and were garlanded.
“It (Kukur Tihar) is a very important festival in our society, and there cannot be any change in the tradition,” says Sunil Shrestha, a young entrepreneur.
Even street dogs are also worshiped and are garlanded on the occasion. After worshiping the dogs, delicious meals were served to them. The Hindus appease their dogs because the canine is also the steed of Bhairab, the god of destruction.
“We Hindus in Nepal worship dog to guard our house from destruction,” Pallavi Sharma, a housewife in Kathmandu said. However, Hindus in India generally do not worship dogs.
Dogs have always been associated with the Hindu mythology and culture. Even in the epic Mahabharat, dogs accompanied Dharmaraj Yudhisthir and his four other brothers during their journey to heaven.
_________________



Today is dog worship day in Nepal. From a description of Nepalese festivals:
Quote:
The second day is called 'Kukur tihar', dogs day. A dog plays many roles in our society. We have dogs in our houses as guardian of the house. As the legend also says that there is a dog at yama's gate guarding the gate to the underworld. The dog is also the steed of the fearful Bhairab, the god of destruction. So on this day a big red tika is put on a dog's forehead and a beautiful garland around the neck. After worshipping the dog, it is given very delicious meal. This day the saying 'every dog has his day' comes true; for even a stray dog is looked upon with respect. We pray to the dog to guard our house as he guards the gate of the underworld and to divert destruction away from our homes. On this day you can see dogs running around with garlands on their neck. Happy kukur tihar!

17 Fertilize my soul:

Sita said...

Tell Sheeba every dog has its day!...really interesting, Amrita..never knew dogs were part of Hindu beliefs...have a wonderful week...
Love, Sita

Robin said...

dogs and cats in america live better than alot of people!
I'll never forget taking ana from romania shopping. we came to an aisle in the store with all clothing and toys-just for dogs. ana shook her head and walked away.
Interesting to know more about
hugs~india.

John Cowart said...

Amrita,

Almost every post you write enlightens me about things going in the world I knew nothing about before reading.

I love the balance you achieve between your faith in Christ and your love of country.

Masterfully done.

Michelle said...

I agree, this is very interesting and did not know about this...and I have to ask with a smile on my face.....Is there a day of cat worship too? Or is everyday a day to worship your cat?! :) Just kidding...LOL

Amrita said...

TheHindus of India don 't worship dogs , this is celebrated in Nepal , a Himalayan country north of India.

In India the monkey, snake, cow, metal implenments or gadgets (eg pens,spades or factory machines) are offered puja on special fastivals. Some Hindus when they buy a car etc , offer it puja.

When on rejects the true God, anything can become your god. We have many examples of it in our society.

Michelle maybe the cat is also worshipped by some group, i don 't know of it yet

Bengalis consider the fish to be auspicious, don 't know wether they worship it.

Amrita said...

Also the elephant and rat is worshipped besides various tress.

Brit. (lille meg) said...

Dog worship day? Is it possible!
I could never joined that.
And yes, unfornately we have halloween in Norway too. I do not like it at all. But what can I do?
When the children comes, I have to have some candies to give them.

thank you for your visit on my blog, and have a pleasant Sunday evening!

Kimmie said...

Very interesting. I had never read of this before, thanks for sharing it.

I believe dog can be mans best friend, but should never be mans god/God.

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

Jeanette said...

You give us so much interesting information about life in your part of the world, Amrita. I always enjoy catching up on your blog! And I thank God for you and for the witness you are to those around you and also to all of us far away who read your blog. I am sure sometimes you feel your candle is little, but believe me the light from the flame is being seen around the world.

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

It's really eerie that in Nepal they worship dogs on certain days. Worship is for the supreme deity only. Any other form of worship is idolatry. Thanks for the informative post. God bless you and your loved ones always my friend.

Donetta said...

Hi Amrita, it is a new month for me. Glad I do not live in Nepal or India. I thought the traditions of my own country were misguided.
Yes anything other than the true God. How sad ya know.
I hope you have a wonderful week. Overcome evil with good!

Sara said...

now i know why donny has been trying to get online all week to cheap tickets.com

Dick said...

Interesting, I've never heard of this.

Jim said...

Thank you, Amrita. I learned a lot here.

And your lead picture, I sure am glad that wasn't Sheeba with the croc.

Adi and Katrin were really glad to see me when I picked them up, I had been gone for a week in Guatemala. They were both really glad to see me.

When I got back, Terry has this long BDay post for me. Thank you for the nice comment and BDay wish on her blog. I am now in the process of catching up with my blogging. I have 40 unanswered comments on the blogs. (I will probably skip the 16 on my WW and Skywatch posts.)
I did post a comment on Terry's birthday blog, thank you again.
..

Simply Shelley said...

Very interesting post,Amrita. I never knew any of this. Many dogs here are treated very much like human children. They even sale a line of clothes for dogs at some of the dept. stores.I don't know of anyone who worships their pet as a God though.Thats hard for me to understand...

Have a blessed week....

Blessings,Shelley

Julia Dutta said...

Hi Amrita,
A nice post and truly the dog needs to be worshipped. However, all the dogs in the pix look sad because I think they just hate all these tikka stuff. I remember, just playing around, I once put nail polish on my dog Snoopy. She was so sad about it that within 15 mins I has to use the remover to free her of a shade which was not natural to her nails.
I liked the fact that they got a good feast.
Julia

Terry said...

Dear Amrita...This is a neat idea!
I might try that "dogs on a step" idea with the Dog and Cat Fiesta that I will be doing for a pet post
Hopefully, I will have time for it this week because Bernie has a week holiday...love Terry