Friday 7 November 2008

Happy Birthday Billy Graham

When I was 12 years old Dr Akbar Haqq, an associate evengelist with the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association came to my city to hold revival meetings. Our family went every night. And on a Sunday afternoon when I heard the preacher expound the death of Christ on Calvary and why I must be born again and make my decision publically , I gave my heart to Jesus. It was very difficult for me to raise my hand and walk up front for prayer as I was very shy and lacked self confidence, but I did it by God 's grace. A missionary lady was my counsellor and I still have the little booklets she gave me about how to live the Christian life.

I used to listen to "The Hour of Decision " for many years . I wrote to them every month and got free books which Cliff Barrows anounced. They also sent me the Decision magazine which I carefully saved.

God bless you Dr Graham and Happy Birthday to you.

_______________________________ Those whose lives have been influenced by the ministry of Reverend Billy Graham are being invited to send a special birthday greeting to the evangelist.

Editor's note: Associated Press is reporting that the evangelist
was hospitalized last Saturday) after suffering a fall late Friday
at his home in North Carolina. X-rays showed no broken bones,
and he expects to be home later today.

Graham turns 90 on November 7, and to help the evangelist celebrate, the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association (BGEA) is asking people to submit birthday wishes and testimonies to the ministry's website. The greetings and stories will be gathered and made into a book that will be presented to Dr. Graham. Ken Barun with the BGEA believes the greetings and well-wishers will encourage Graham. "So many people have been touched by the work that the Lord asked Mr. Graham to do while he's on this earth that we wanted to give an opportunity for those people to get in touch with Mr. Graham, send a birthday greeting, and share the story about how their [lives were] impacted by him," Barun explains. Barun says Graham is losing his sight and hearing, but he is alert and well enough to have spoken for about 15 minutes last month at a picnic for ministry staffers.

20 Fertilize my soul:

The Dementia Nurse said...

Amrita, thank you so much for sharing this story! When you were twelve years old, did you ever expect to be in touch with Christian sisters around the world? God is so good!

Gigi said...

Love to hear people's stories. Thank you for sharing yours and I also love seeing your encouragement with and for Will...who knew you know that followers of Him could be connected this way....

Nina in Portugal said...

What a great testimony! God Bless You!

Jeanette said...

Thank you so much for this wonderful post, Amrita! I loved reading your testimony. It is just amazing to think what God has accomplished in so many lives through one faithful man. And His work is continuing through you, too!

Felisol said...

Dear Amrita,
Billy Graham visited Norway when I was 10ish.
He was invited by the Pentecostal Church and filled our largest football stadium.
I was so proud. Back then the Pentecosts were a minority.
In the late sixties Billy Graham was pictured in a 20 volume big Swedish world history as God's machine gun shooter.
My dad was so proud about that.
Billy Graham and Martin Luther King were the only church leaders found worthy to be mentioned in a secular majestic historical collection.
May Billy Graham's last time on earth be blessed and merciful.
From Felisol

Julia Dutta said...

Oh Amrita,
What a beautiful post. My heart trembled reading these lines from your post, especially the moment you gave your heart to Jesus. I know the struggle you might have gone through before this and I can feel your relieved you might have been once you took that decision. It is not easy...it requires a Braveheart.

I also wrote into Dr Graham Bill.

Julia

Terry said...

Good Morning Amrita!
I am on my old lap top and it was so much easier to get on to your site.
I think that my computer needs a real good cleanout!
Sorry about the confusion yesterday.
I had sent you an email but maybe you didn't get it, eh?
Well take care and have a good weekend and hug your mama for me...love Terry

Pat said...

Oh the countless lives changed by the ministry of this man! What a champanion of the Gospel!!

Simply Shelley said...

Hi Amrita, I have much love and respect for this great man of God. May God bless him .....
Thanks for sharing a lovely and inforamtive post about the Rev. Billy Graham. His ministery has touch many a life,as well as yours. How wonderful was the testimony of your salvation.

Blessings,Shelley

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

wow what a nice post I like B grahamm too, wishing you a good weekend my little friend Amrita

Joann Hug

Sita said...

What I treasure most about him is his humility...I remember him speaking at URBANA-IVCF...and the many students who lined up to speak with him..as I watched him greet each person, he gave them his 100% attention--that always lets someone know how valuable they are...the chills never stop when I see the altar calls...

and now I have more to be thankful to him---his ministry gave me a special sister in India...thank you, Lord...you are so special, Amrita...

Amrita said...

The Lord has been very gracious to me my friend. I did not choose Him, He choose me (as the Word says)it is only His mercy.

I 've been unfaithful to my Lord so many times but He has always been faithful.

Sheryl said...

Oh thank you for sharing your story! God had a plan for your life, didn't He? He knew what a light you would be in your country and beyond. Love to you, my friend!

~Sheryl

Donetta said...

Just thinking of you stopped by to say hello. Big Hug!

Saija said...

the Graham's have both blessed my life over the years ... i went forward at a billy graham crusade when i was 12 ... needless to say, that was a life saving moment ...

David Edward said...

Mr. Graham and Bill Bright and one other prominent leader received their individual "visions" for ministry after a prayer session near to here, at Forest Home conference center, many many years ago. Oh the power of seeking God for His direction, and yielding to that. Such a contrast to the charlatans who are fleecing the flock while adorning themselves in diamonds and Rolex watches. Mr. Graham is real, and thank God for him.

Donetta said...

You alright?

Amrita said...

Dear David thank you for visitng my blog and commenting.
I like your snappy blog posts a lot.Sugarloaf Mountian sounds close to DisneyLand...close ro you?

Hi Donetta. I am doing fine.
This morning I am representing my church at the district court.The enemy is on the run. We have evidence that those who want to unlawfully take over our property are not even authorized to fight a court case.They have suffered deafeat at various levels, but the Indian legal system is so faulty, corrupt and slow that it is taking so long for us to reach the finish line. Please remember us in prayer.

Natalie said...

I askewd Jesus inot my heart while watching Billy Graham's conference on tv when i was around 10 or 11 years old. I laid upstairs where I could see the tv in our family living room that was downstairs. : )

Amrita said...

Hello Serge, thank you for that link.

God bless you as you spread the Good News in France and other parts of the world.