Monday 19 April 2010

Be sober,be vigilant



Masked men attack Christian prayer meet
Apr 18 2010
A group of masked men attacked a Christian prayer meet in remote Sarni area of Betul district in Madhya Pradesh, police said on Sunday. Locals claimed that a man died in the resulting melee after he jumped into a well in panic.
According to eyewitnesses, the man died due to the ruckus on Saturday night created by the miscreants, allegedly belonging to "rightist organisations".
"The incident took place around 8.30 pm at Saliya village where around eight to nine masked men forced their way into the Christian prayer meeting, attacked the organisers, damaged their vehicles and fled," Sub-Divisional officer (Police) Abhishek Rajan said.
"Later, the police found a body floating in a well, located 400 meters from the prayer venue. According to the locals, the man was attending the meeting and jumped into the well in panic when the miscreants attacked," he said.
"The police are yet to ascertain whether his death was related to the attack as his body was found floating within two hours of the commotion while medical experts say that it takes at least 12 hours for a body of a drowned person to surface," Rajan said.
Several attacks on Christian meets have been witnessed in the past in tribal-dominated Balaghat district also with the latest one on April 15 when some miscreants, allegedly belonging to rightwing Hindu groups, stormed a function organised by a Protestant group and attended by over 5,000 people.
Father Lijo Antony, assistant parish priest of the lone Catholic church in the area, said: "Hindu groups tried to forcibly enter the venue alleging the programme was aimed at converting gullible tribal people."
The police imposed prohibitory orders in the area after the incident. The administration also gave protection to 23 Protestant pastors working in the area, the priest said.
Although the district is in Madhya Pradesh, it comes under Nagpur archdiocese in Maharashtra.
Source URL:http://www.deccanchronicle.com/latest-news/masked-men-attack-christian-prayer-meet-216


Please continue to pray for the advancement of God' s kingdom in India
Like I said in my comment ,life is very difficult for me as a single , physically challenged woman in a male dominated, very often hostile and intimidating society.I feel very insecure at times.The demons of crime and discrimination hover around us, breathing down our necks. But self pity is one enemy I have learnt to keep at bay. Self pity is the first crack in the wall before the entire wall comes crashing down.
Sometimes feeling very weak myself I have encouraged and admonished others.
"My health may fail and my spirit may grow weak,but God remains the strength of my heart,He is mine forever" Psalm 73;26
This afternoon, when the lights went out for the umpteenth time in the 110* heat I read the following poem from Henri Nouwen 's book 'With Open Hands
Hope means to keep living
amid desperation
and to keep humming
in the darkness
Hope is knowing that there is love
it is trust in tomorrow
it is falling asleep
and waking again
when the sun rises
In the midst of a gale at sea
it is to discover land.
In the eyes of another
it is to see that you are understood...
as long as there is hope
There will also be prayer...
And you will be held
in God' s hands.
"For I satisfy the weary ones
and refresh everyone who languishes." Jeremiah 31;25 (Bible)

19 Fertilize my soul:

Sita said...

Beautiful poem by Nouwen, Amrita.

What difficult 'fires' God has placed you in. Over here, we cannot really fathom the depth and breadth of your trials...but I know that God knows and I pray that He honors your obedience, perseverance in the face of open hostility. May He pour grace upon grace upon you and the other believers persecuted for their faith.

I pray that more western believers realize our family is 'global' and be moved to intercede on behalf of the persecuted church. I have tangible felt the power of intercession on my behalf. We as a Church need to intercede for each other so much more.
I'm still reading "Killing Fields, Living Fields" by Don Cormack---"a portrait of the Cambodian Church--the Church that would not die"...how cruel the Cambodians were to each to each other---yet the Church stands---
I am so humbled by what you go through..
Going to intercede for you..
Love, Sita

Anonymous said...

I pray for your safety and needs each day....stand firm..we live in desperate times...Marantha, dear sister

Donetta said...

loving you

Felisol said...

Dear Amrita,
This must be a terrible ordeal for you. I always thought the Muslims were the violent ones. How ignorant I am.
It seems that we have no other than God to take care of our course, but then, again, he has promised to do so, numerous times.
To be single woman and physically challenged is a burden in any culture.
I can easily imagine how hard it must be in far away India.
I keep praying for you, dear Amrita.
I've got these words for my self, but I gladly share with you.
2Chor 12:7To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. 8Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 10That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

Well, then we are strong, both of us!
Hugs from Felisol

Holly, the Old Western Gal said...

It makes me very sad at your situation, Amrita. I wish I could do something. These constant power outages are just outrageous and I am always incensed at how difficult it is for you to get the help you need. And now these right-wing nuts over there are acting up, it's terrible!!!

Gerry said...

I am sorry some of this unrest is affecting you. You are very courageous in how you keep calm and write so well in the midst of some of these attacks. Also it must be very hard not to be protected with air conditioning when the heat is so bad. I dread power outrages when it is very hot. We will soon be experiencing 110 and higher all the time so I can certainly relate to your situation, except our electricity is a good deal more stable now than it even used to be. There is always some sort of unrest going on in most countries, but it sounds like you are being really tried at the moment with some there. I think of you and hope that you stay safe and conditions there don't get too bad. I have really enjoyed getting to know you, and appreciate how you have tried to educate your readers about how life is in India. I actually did not expect to read about a Christian movement there. I don't suppose that is traditionally India so is not received well by some. I hope that the violence will recede and you will not continue to be frightened by these outbreaks. I think all of us when we are in danger pray for help. I know I have many times. It is hard to understand why people think that a violent attack to stop religious movements is somehow better.

Paresh Palicha said...

Like I said in my comment ,life is very difficult for me as a single , physically challenged woman in a male dominated, very often hostile and intimidating society.I feel very insecure at times.The demons of crime and discrimination hover around us, breathing down our necks. But self pity is one enemy I have learnt to keep at bay. Self pity is the first crack in the wall before the entire wall comes crashing down.

I can fully empathize with your feelings. Yes, self pity is our enemy number one. And, the worst part is; it barges into the system without us being aware of it. If & when such a situation arises, I just pray a little harder to get out of it as soon as possible.

Nadwrażliwiec said...

It is sad for me, that European people think today only about "rights" for gays but they forgot about Christian martyrs. I will pray for You - because were are (or were) the biggest persecutions, there is the biggest faith. Many may prayer of the righteous.

Amrita said...

Thank you for your prayers and good wishes and encouragement. TYhis i9ncident took place in a neighbouring state. Praise God for His protection. His angels are round about us.

This evening I went to an aunt 's funeral, she was my mother 's cousin and close to her age.

Aunt Emerine lived in New York for several years and taught elementary school. She was a great musician and taught international folk dancing.

She returned to India to retire and had several health problems.

So sad to bid loved ione 's goodbye.

Amrita said...

Dear Paresh, Its so hard for physically challenged people to survive in India. I know you also hav e your struggles . But like you say God ' s help is nearby when we cry to Him

Julia Dutta said...

Hi Amrita,

It seems this shameless violence on innocent Christians will never end. I have been to Betul. It is a poor tribal area. I ask you, if in the name of Christ, any human is doing a good deed why should the right wing anti-Christ have a problem? Its disgusting because they will not change the state of affairs for the poor, nor will they let others do it.

I can understand, your sense of fear working as a single woman, but I admire your strength and commitment. I would very much like to say that God is working His wonders through you. You need have no fear.
Julia

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Amrita:)

I feel very sad to read this post. It is highly condemnable that masked miscreants are attacking Christians. It is a very difficult time for Christians in North India and particularly in states like Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and Uttar Pradesh.

Fortunately, in Kerala where there is a sizable Christian population,such things do not happen. I remember one of my Christians friends in North India migrated with his family to Canada. He said India is not the place Christians. I feel there is an element of truth in what he said.

I understand your problem as a physically challenged Christian lady, you will be facing considerable difficulties in a male dominated society.This is indeed a sorry state of affairs and I hope and pray that the situation will improve.

The poem you have reproduced is very inspiring.

God bless you,your family and help all Christians in North India.
Joseph

Amrita said...

Hi Julia, so glad for you r visit. Your Jabalpur pictures are lovely.

Wish you all the best for the next leg of your journey in Delhi

Amrita said...

Thank you for your kind words Mr Joseph.There is a greater concentration of Christians in Kerala an d maybe less of right wing fundamentalists.
We have more trouble in the Northern states and in Karnataka too.

Crime against women is on the rise and when you see it happen all around you you feel so insecure. Such little help is available to us women and the police is also not helpful, sometimes they are the rogues

Amrita said...

Thank you for you r visit Gerry. Christianity in India is as old as 2000 years when the Apostle Thomas, one of Christ 's disciples came to India to preach the Gospel.He founded the Ancient church in South India which still exsists.
Christians in India are a minority- just about 2% of the population.In some states like the North East there is a higher concentyration of Christians.

monsoon dreams said...

it has been so in north india for a long time now.it is so sad.hope your place is safe,amrita.

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

I have been praying for you, your family and loved ones and your church too. I always cover you all with the blood of Jesus Christ for protection against all the wiles and works of the enemy. All well meaning Christians around the world must pray to bring down the strongholds of the enemy in India. There's just so much generational curses and strongholds besieging India and all must pray and bind the enemy to deliver our Christian brothers and sisters from the yoke of the evil one. In the mighty name of Jesus, by His most precious blood, we bring down strongholds and bind the enemy of God in beloved India. This we pray heavenly Father, in the name of Jesus through the ministry of the Holy Spirit, one God, forever. Amen. Thanks for the post. God bless you all always.

Robin said...

You are very right about self pity Amrita, many in america need to realise this. Your words have amonished me today as well, bless you.

Abigail Jasmine said...

Thank you for this encouragement!!

Praying for you and your country.

HUGS*