Sunday 4 April 2010

Death Be Not Proud








DEATH be not proud, though some have called theeMighty and dreadfull, for, thou art not so,For, those, whom thou think'st, thou dost overthrow,Die not, poore death, nor yet canst thou kill me.From rest and sleepe, which but thy pictures bee,Much pleasure, then from thee, much more must flow,And soonest our best men with thee doe goe,Rest of their bones, and soules deliverie.Thou art slave to Fate, Chance, kings, and desperate men,And dost with poyson, warre, and sicknesse dwell,And poppie, or charmes can make us sleepe as well,And better then thy stroake; why swell'st thou then;One short sleepe past, wee wake eternally,And death shall be no more; death, thou shalt die.

John Donne
Without the Resurrection these words would be flowery prose
and little more. But because of the Resurrection
Donne 's poem shines light on eternal truth.
May the Risen Christ
shine His face upon you
now
and for ever.

19 Fertilize my soul:

Nadwrażliwiec said...

Nothing can be raised from the death - if earlier it won't die. But when we born again in Christ - we must die for the "world".
These white flowers on the photos - are they the datura?

Holly, the Old Western Gal said...

Happy Easter Amrita to you and your mom!

Kathryn said...

Happy Easter, Amrita. :)

The Lord is risen indeed.

Amrita said...

Thank you for your greetings my dear friends. May the Lor5d draw you into a closer walk with Him.

Hi Zimbabwe, these flowers are called amarilys or lillies. We have white and red ones. They are almody over now.

Vicki said...

Belated Easter greetings to you, sweet sister Amrita. Jesus is Risen! And He has taken our precious Papa Home with Him for all eternity! Thanks for your love & support...

Pia said...

beautiful flowers. happy easter, amirta. (((HUGS)))

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Yes, without the resurrection of Christ, our faith would have been futile. Without the resurrection of Christ, we will still be steeped in our sins and sinfulness. But thanks God for the resurrection, heaven's gate was opened wide for everybody to enter in by accepting Jesus Christ as their Lord and savior. HAPPY EASTER TO YOU AND YOUR LOVED ONES. Thanks for the post. God bless you always.

Nadwrażliwiec said...

They looks like datura, that was the couse of my question :)
My nickname is from my former email adress - zimbabwe@onet.eu, which I don't use today. Then I was searching for oryginal login - so I opened the atlas of world, closed my eyes and touch the place on the map of world, to search the name of login. After opening my eyes - my finger was on the African country - Zimbabwe :) So my login was zimbabwe, and my nickname on blog too. Despite of fact I don't use this email now - the nickname stayed this same.
I'm Polish, white girl, but I'm interested in culture of other countries. I study the Polish philology with elements of Cultural Studies - it help me understand other cultures.
Greetings from Cracow :)

Nadwrażliwiec said...

Amrita, You have also greetings from my brother In Christ - Hiuston :) You can read his comments in my blog. He is interested in situation of Christians in India - he would know how You managed in this country?

Amrita said...

Hi Zimbabwe, datura in India is a poisonous herb, its medicinal too, so I thought it could be that. I have never seen it though.

I like the way you choose you email name, very original.
I love to learn about other cultures too and blogging is an excellent way.I want to discover Poland through your excellent blog.

Debra said...

This is a wonderful post Amrita. I had forgotten this poem.

Hope you and your family had a blessed Resurrection day!

David C Brown said...

Blessings upon you.

Simply Shelley said...

Hope yours and mama's Easter was a very blessed one Amrita...I am praising my Risen Savior today for an answered prayer....hope your week is a very blessed one....Shelley

monsoon dreams said...

amrita,
hope u had a wonderful Easter.resurrection is the very basis of Christianity.thanks for the wonderful and thoughtful post,dear.

Andrea said...

Amrita, your blog is beautiful and inspirational. It is truly lovely and anointed, and feels like a safe haven.

Many blessings to you in Christ our Savior!

Andrea

Donetta said...

Loving you dear heart

Felisol said...

Dear Amrita,
Thanks for greeting with one of my all time favorites; John Donne.
Because he was so heavily tried through life himself, his words have double value.
Death, thou shalt die.
We have so much to look forwards to.
Joy to all mankind these resurrection days.
From Felisol

John Cowart said...

Your Easter lilies look great; ours have not bloomed yet.
Thanks for the Donne poem; I was not familiar with it.

Amrita said...

Thank you Andrea, welcome to my blog