Saturday 3 April 2010

Waiting

He will come to us
as the showers
as the spring rains
that water the
earth
Hosea 6;3 (RSV)
Holy Saturday is a day of anticipation and preparation
for the dawning of
the Resurrection Morn

Traditionally we partake of hot cross buns
on Good Friday.
But I got them today.
I also bought brown bread and French hearts after ages.
I seldom go to this bakery as it is very expensive.
But I went today-in the splurge mood.
I bought more buns to share with
with an 84 year old widowed aunt
and our helpers.
Wanted to buy basmati rice for an egg pilaf
but had to by-pass that LOL.
I will make chicken and egg biryani
(spicy pilaf) for Easter lunch and share it the ailing aunt
and helper.
We can have the french hearts for dessert,
they are slightly sweet.
They are like semi sweet flakey pastry.


On Good Friday most protestant churches in India
hold 3 hour services in the afternoon,
between 12 noon to 3pm.
Homilies on the 7 last sayings of Christ
are delivered.
People go home and break their fast with
tea and hot cross buns.
Yesterday in the St Peter 's Church
the youth enacted a Crucifixion pageant.
I took the pictures from a newspaper report.
I really admire them for doing this in the
blazing 110*F ( 40-42*C) sun.

10 Fertilize my soul:

Nadwrażliwiec said...

Many of joy, peace of heart and a great time on the day of Easter:) May the Lord lead you and keep you.
I read some about Christians in India. We in Poland remember about You. Can I link Your blog?

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Amrita:)

Greetings on Holy Saturday:)

Hot cross buns and easter eggs-some how these things escaped my mind. When my children were young, I used to buy these things. But now since they are grown up, I leave it to them to buy and invariably they don't buy.

I would have loved to have some chicken and egg biryani which you will be making:)

Saturday we wait anxiously and expectantly for the miracle to happen.

Those news paper cuttings were excellent.

I wish you and your family a wonderful Easter. May the Risen Christ bless you and your family abundantly:)
Joseph

Julie said...

The buns look so yummy. Happy Easter to you.

Grayquill said...

"Our hope is built on nothing less than Jesus blood and righteouseness..."
This tune came bouncing into my head after reading your post. So I thought I would share the first line.
Easter in India and Hot cross buns - yum...
Thanks for sharing your traditions,
Happy Easter.

Amrita said...

I really appreciate your comments my friends.

Hi Zimbabwe, welcome to my blog. You are my first commentator from Poland. I am so pleased to meet you.
Yes you can link my blog.
I wish I could understand your Polish blog.

Nadwrażliwiec said...

On the top right on my blog there is the translator. It isn't ideal, but it is :)

Amrita said...

Thank you Zimbabwe, that' s very helpful..

Dr Mr Joseph, you are very welcome. The Kerala biryani afre famous I know.
Today there was a juloos or Easter procession in the city and many churches including Catholic took part, but I got to know when it was over.

Holly, the Old Western Gal said...

Your Easter foods sound delightful!

Happy Easter. It is so sweet of you to share with your aunt and helper, too. But that's your nature, Amrita! Very loving.

Buttercup said...

Wishes to you and your family and congregation for a blessed Easter. We have the same sweet flaky pastries here.

Amrita said...

Thank you Buttercup