Saturday 10 April 2010

In House-Street Food

Made some popular street food at home.This this sweet chutney made with
sour tamrind pulp, jaggery or gur ( kind of brown sugar)
grated ginger root ,I used candied ginger,
salt and little cayenne pepper. You can add dry fruit if
you want. All the ingredients are cooked
together till thickened.

This is matar ki chaat-
savoury dried peas.
The peas are soaked overnight and boiled
till soft. Then you can add chaat masalas and garnish it with
fresh chopped coriander and mint leaves.

These are aloo tikkis or potato patties
sizzling on the griddle.

Tonight I made pizzas from scratch.
I made my own pizza dough and topping
which was made from garden fresh cherry tomatoes.
green peppers, onion, garlic and grated cheese.
Eating outside is getting dearer,so
I prefer to make these dishes at home.
------------------

Food is an important part of a balanced diet. ~Fran Lebowitz

16 Fertilize my soul:

Donetta said...

sour tamrind pulp,chaat masalas????????

Hi Sis
Please explain the ingredients.
So thinking of you. A couple days back there was an Indian procession on our street. It was amazing. Either a wedding or perhaps a coming of age. A woman with a parasol or umbrella surrounded by family and a fellow videotaping it. A think a tambourine or small drum as well. All dressed in Indian sari. It was so colorful and wonderful that the children were exposed to the beauty and wonder of culture.

Any ideas of what it was?

I am also cooking at home save perhaps once a month or so. It is in my opinion not very safe to eat out. Such a loss of quality and the character of so many is waning.

Hope your having a wonderful weekened

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Mom says YUM!

That look so tasty!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Nadwrażliwiec said...

This plane tragedy was in western Russia, near the border with Belarus - in Smolensk. There died not only our president, but also 97 other important persons for Poland. They was fliying to celebrate the 70th anniversary of Katyn Massacre. It was almost in the same place...

Paresh Palicha said...

You make my mouth water & make me feel guilty as a glutton.:P

Saija said...

i think i would try the potato patties!!! *laughing* my tummy is used to bland bland bland ...

everything looks good though!!

blessings on ya!

Glennis said...

Oh that real Indian sweet chutney, love it. Can't get some of those things in our country, so mine is never the same.

Holly, the Old Western Gal said...

Amrita, what a good cook you are!

Crown of Beauty said...

I love the potato patties... how do you do that.

ANd the sour tamarind sauce...my mouth is watering.

I have not visited my blog friends much these past weeks...but I always feel delighted when you come over. You are such a faithful blog friend, Amrita.

I love this post...everything looks yummy. But I will try the sour tamarind paste with the cayenne pepper and organic sugar and ginger. We used to eat something like this in Thailand.
Yummy!

Love
Lidj

Abigail Jasmine said...

All of that food looks amazing!
I love Indian food with a passion!

Your home made pizza looks great :)
Mmmmm!!

Your new blog looks is so Spring and bright..beautiful!

~LOVE IN CHRIST~

Dick said...

Mmmmmm, it looks great, I wonder how it taste........I bet it is very good.

Buttercup said...

What time is dinner? Everything looks and sounds delicious.

Sita said...

We make something similar in TT--call it tamarind sauce with lots of pepper!..
@ Zimbabwe...so sorry to learn of the great loss to Poland...all of those leaders of state in one plane--tragic...may God lift you all up...

blessings on your week, AMrita...recovering from my surgery...hate not being able to eat!..and the constant headaches...pls pray for healing...thx...

Felisol said...

Dear Amrita,
What a skilled chef you are.
Reading your blog puts water in my moth. I'd ordinarily go to the fridge looking for something to put in my moth. These days I have put myself on a diet, so have to be strong.
(But my flesh is so weak).
I'd better go to bed and look forwards to breakfast in the morning.
From Felisol

Pia said...

i love home made pizzas. better that delivery pizzas!

Elizabeth said...

All your food looks delicious!

Amrita said...

Dear frinds , I appreciate your responses. Oh I wish I could have everyone over for a chaat feast. What fun it would be and I 's keep the spices very mild, I promise.

Donetta,tamrind is a sour fruit, tropical I think. But you can find tamrind pulp in Indian stores in the US I am sure.You can replace it with tomato puree if you can 't get it.

Chaat masalas are a mixture of spices you put in the chaat. They are a mix of powdered cummin, cayenne pepper ,dried mango powder and salt. I am sure you can buy it in a packet at Indian stores in the West.