Tuesday 27 April 2010

Cool Aid

Stepping out in temperatures hovering between

40-45^C (105-110*F) is quite a feat.

But life must go on hot or cold.

These are the girls from Hindu Mahila School (K-12)

(Hindu Women 's School)

The lass on the left has covered her face with a kerchief. Many

do likewise and wear long gloves to avoid sun burn and tan.A fair or light complexion is favored in India.


Schools are meeting in the mornings between 7am to 10 or 11 am.

See the girls in the school rickshaw.

This type of rickshaw is used to transport school kids.

Its quite convenient as parents don 't have to take

their children themselves.

But the rickshaw walas stuff too many kids

into the seats.They get paid by

the month.

Dad is taking his two kids

home on his scooter'

Others travel by car, bus or their own cycles , motorcycles etc.

But when you are hot, you need

some refreshment.



This sign outside MacDonald 's beckons

me whenever I pass by.

At Rupees 10 their vanilla cone is quite cheap.

But I give it a

cold shoulder for the obvious reason.



I read about a chocolate fountain on Donetta' s blog

and I wondered what it looked like.

I found this man displaying one

in his little cupcake stall

outside the Big Bazaar Shopping Mall.


I have never tasted any of his treats,

but these chocolate cakes look good.



This man is selling a spiced mango drink called Panna.
Its a traditional cool aid.

I make it at home.

You can check the recipe HERE



The Bael fruit is another cooler and is known

for its medicinal properties.

It is also known as Indian quince, wood apple or stone apple.

You have to extract its soft pulp

and make a sweet sherbet with it

adding ice.

I make this at home too.

These drinks are for men on the move.

They are best made at home.


But there is nothing like plain old H2O to

quench your thrirst.

Here under the shade of a peepal tree

are earthen pots containing water.

The peepal tree is worshipped by the Hindus

and feared too, as their believe

spirits reside in it.

So you can say your prayers,

quench your thirst

and read the newspaper

all in one spot.



On a side street there was a metal stand with

drinking water pots.

This man is drinking from a cup.

And a street dog is closely watching

hoping for a sip.
(The last 2 photos are from the www)


Yesterday we had a power cut from 10am till 4pm,

the hottest part of the day.

So hand fans should be within reach.

Here is a man selling them.

They are made with palmyra leaves.

Many kinds of fans are available.


Many people don 't have fridges.

So clay water jars are a good option to keep water cool.

When we were growing up we did not have a fridge.

We used jars like these.

And in the evening the ice man came around

and we bought ice to put in our sherbet.

Good old days they were,

we were not dependant on science and technology.

And life was simpler and people centered.

There are many more ways to keep cool.

I will share more later on.

What are some of the ways

you keep cool?

21 Fertilize my soul:

Anonymous said...

so interesting...can't believe its so warm there...it gets that hot here but in late summer....I will check out the recipe.....we are always open to new things (for us) do you ever make sun tea? we drink gallons of it in the summer....very refreshing...

Felisol said...

Thanks for a good report from wonderful, sunny India.
The country seems more and more adventurous the more I read.

I agree that water is the best source to cure the thirst and help your body regain strength.
I'd be happy if you treated yourself with a McDonald's ice anyhow.
One also need a little something to cheer one up once in a while.
Best wishes from Felisol

Connie said...

Very interesting to see your land and the people.Would love to try the Bael fruit.I would have such fun strolling the streets and taking photos of all the interesting sights and colors.
My hubby is out mowing the front field and I wanted to mow the yard but it is only 48 degrees F out today and that is just too cold for me. Maybe in a few days when it gets warmer,LOL...

Aphra said...

We had SNOW today- I look for ways to stay warm :)

Abigail Jasmine said...

Such an interesting post!
I love learning about India's culture from the eyes of you!

Great photographs!

Hope you're staying cool!

*hugs n' love*

Holly, the Old Western Gal said...

If you don't write a book I will scream. I will shop it around for you, Amrita! Please let me try to get a publisher interested!!! It is a long-shot chance for unknowns like us, but the world would find your observations and wit fascinating!!!

I know I do!

Now I am trying to figure out how you could be convinced to get an ice cream for yourself...

Buttercup said...

Today was quite chilly and I really could have used gloves in the evening. When it does get hot, I dress cool, with no heavy fabric and wear sandals. Lots of cold drinks -- iced tea and coffee -- and keep the sun out by keeping the blinds down. I do use the air conditioner, but try to be sparing, both for the cost and for conserving energy. I am going to try the mango drink, which sounds delicious.

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Wow, the weather is really that hot. I could not imagine living under a weather at 45 degrees celsius. It's probably way too hot for me and I am liable to suffer a heat stroke. In our country where temperature hovers between 36 to 38 degrees celsius, many who work outdoors have suffered heat strokes and died. The peepal tree you mentioned that some Indians worshiped and feared is actually called the banyan tree and is also feared in the provinces in our country for they say that evil spirits live there. In our house we have a refrigerator and a hot and cold dispenser we use to fight the hot temperature. After the hot weather is the onset of the rainy season in the Philippines. Thanks for your descriptive post. God bless you always.

Nadwrażliwiec said...

Three years ago summer in Kraków was very hot - temperatures were similar to these which You describes. In the Old Town special services were giving people free water from big barrels.
Record hot summers like that aren't very often in Poland, but sometimes it can be really hot. In those days I eat lots of fruits like melons, apples, cherries or ice-cream. And, of course, drink lots of water.
This note is very interesting. In my opinion, the best photo is this with man selling mango drink and this with chocolate fountain :) It's beautiful :) And I think that it must be also very delicious.
God bless You.

Life is Severe said...

Amrita,

Thanks for sharing these photos, and what's going on in life around you in general. I would like to try to some of the Bael fruit sometime. Also, the panna drink! I've always wanted to go to India for a visit. When I was a child a women from India used to look after me quite regularly. I ended up becoming best friends with her daughter. In that time I saw many different Hindu rituals performed. I was often invited to take part in certain ceremonies. Also, I was given my first taste of authentic Indian cooking, which I had for lunch during the week. I don't remember what part of India she and her husband were from.

I enjoyed this, thanks for posting it. Also, I have the same blog but new address. It is:

http://www.silenceandmystery.blogspot.com/

You won't be able to find me otherwise. :)

Sharodindu said...

So we are in same state now!
I am here in noida fighting with heat...
very nice post where u have covered the indian summer properly...
great shot.

David C Brown said...

Keeping cool is rarely much of a problem in Scotland! Good to see the streets of India again.

God bless you!

Grayquill said...

That is sooo hot! Do you get acclimated? Thanks for sharing! Your posts are so very interesting? The rickshaw driver should charge by the mouth instead of the month – he would probably become rich :)

monsoon dreams said...

this years' summer is horrible in south india.hope we get enough of monsoon.
no news from you since ur last post,amrita.are you okay?

Saija said...

the India i see through your eyes is so interesting and diverse ... full ... but India is one of the oldest nations/cultures - yet we here in very youngish north america forget that!

blessings on you - as you do your best to keep cool!!!

Sita said...

Hey, Love the pics---how are you doing?

Amrita said...

hu poeple i dont have an internet connection right, hope to get i after a few days

Dick said...

Tooooo hot there but still toooooo cold here. Those chocolate cakes look sooooo tasty. I want to try one, hahaha

Brad the Dad said...

Hello Amrita,
I am coming into my first summer in Hong Kong, and we will definitely use the aircon! Not as much as in the city itself though where the shops and malls keep the temperture just above freezing. It is so hard going there because you are constantly walking from dreadfully humid heat into freezers and then outside yet again. I think I will pass along your mango recipe to my wife though, it sounds delightful.

Amrita said...

Hi Cheri, if you can get bottlede bael huice or squash as we call it in the UK, do try it. I just boiled some green mangoes , will take out the pulp and make my home made panna.

Hi Brad hope you are doing good in HK

Grand Junction Chiropractic said...

Fresh fruits dipped from chocolate fountain... Yummy! Makes me hungry...

Chiropractic Grand Junction