Thursday 6 March 2008

Promoted to Glory

Five years today my Papa was promoted to glory after a very brief illness.Although it was a very traumatic experience for me and I still suffer from PTSS in a mild way, I rejoice in the hope the Papa has lives in a mansion Jesus has prepared for him and is worshipping God with all the saints by the sea of crystal.

This is my Dad with me and younger sister Namrita in the 90s.

Let me tell you an incident from his young days. Papa was a skillful hunter like my Grandfather (Dada).Dada was a Methodist Minister, many times posted on rural areas of pre-independant India. They lived a very frugal and exemplary life among their flock for which they were respected by people of all religions.

One day Dada shot a bird (I 'd rather not name it). The fowl was not an endangered species but revered by the peasants.Dadi was very angry with him for killing it and de-feathered it under protest. She stuffed the feathers in a sack and asked my Dad , then a little boy to throw it far away from the village.

When he returned from his errand , Dadi asked him where he disposed the cargo. Very confidently Dad said he had dumped the bag in the village well. My poor grandma hit the ceiling and sent all the men of the family to immediately go to the site and retrieve the feathers from the well before the villagers came to draw water in the morning.

So off they went and drew water enough for a herd of elephants.Man - were they thirsty when they got back and hungry for the roasted fowl.

The elders of my family used to tell us family tales as bed-time stories and we remember them well.

Today a police constable came to deliver the rent of my BIL 's flat which a senior Police Officer has rented. He always chats with my Mum and touches her feet as a mark of respect.Today he said ,"Mother you are not blessing me. I need your blessing". This man is a Hindu. He has bought a piece of land but is unable to make the final payment.He said he sees some kind of pratibha or glory in mother and if she blesses him he will be able to complete his transaction. Mom gave him a blessing and he went away happy and satisfied.

Jesus said,"Let your light so shine before men,that they may see your good works and glorify your Father which is in heaven." Matt. 5;16 KJV

For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2 Cor 4;8 KJV

12 Fertilize my soul:

Dick said...

Hi Amrita

Not nice for the bird but a wonderful story.

JO said...

Lovely post... I am sure you Dad is in the loving arms of the Lord and his Angels just waiting for the day you meet with him again. God Bless you. :)

Angie said...

Such an interesting story and nice tribute to your dad. Imagine what he is seeing now. Glory!

I am Sid's friend. So nice to meet you, Amrita. I love your site and was so touched by the story of the child sweepers.

God bless you.

~Angie

Gudl said...

I enjoyed reading about your father and seeing the photo.
My Dad died almost 2 years ago and just today I had to cry for him. I was reminded of him when I heard a classical peace of organ music. My Dad played the organ in our church.
But I thought also, that he is with Jesus now and that he is in a much better place and he sees 'face to face'.

Anonymous said...

A beautiful tribute to your dad...Parents are so important in everyone of our lives....without them we all could feel the emptiness & the warmth that surrounded us...They may scold us at times but they are also the ones who loves us the most...may your dads soul rest in peace in the arms of the lord.

Kate said...

Well, now I'm incredibly curious as to what sort of bird it was, since you won't tell! Shall I take three guesses?

Peacock?
Peacock?
or...Peacock?
:)

Rebecca said...

and is Kate right in her guess?

Amrita said...

You are right Kate and Rebecca, it was a peacock.
Good guess.

Jeanette said...

I love the tribute to your dad, Amrita. You will always miss him, but nothing can comfort like knowing he is in heaven now. How terrible it would be if you were unsure.

the mother of this lot said...

Nothing ever prepares you for the death of your father does it?

But, as you say, we can be sure he is 'safely home'.

Donetta said...

Hello, I have had a wonderful visit. It was nice to have some time to just enjoy. You Dad was a blessing to have. I have often wondered where he is in the greater story. I love the passage that speaks about how those who go before us are at the right hand of God interceding for us both day and night.
That well must have had a lot of water pulled out of it to clear it of feathers.

Prem said...

Papa we miss you a lot.You taught me so many things and made me feel welcome and loved when i became a part of your family in May 1984.We were more like friends and enjoyed doing things together.You were kind and selfless and i remember the fun times together.I remember the evenings out sitting and talking about your hunting experiences and all the funny episodes.We miss you but you are with Jesus and one day we will see you face to face.You were a good cook and cricket fan.We always will and cherish your memory and carry on the good work you started.
Love Prem