Monday 31 March 2008

Sunday Blessings - Easy to Love?

Lilly, cosmos and hibiscus from our bageecha.
I sent Mama to church this Sunday and stayed with Aunt Sybil. She is better. I gave her a bath which she does not like at all.She hates bathing.

In the evening I turned on God TV to get some inspiration.There was message from Brother Andrew which was very good. Then Dr Mike Murdoch came on and sang a song about the Holy Spirit which had a line saying "You are easy to love". I took objection to that , you can 't sing about the Spirit of God as if He is your sweet girlfriend or pet.All through the Bible the Holy Spirit has been shown as powerful, holy, fire of God performing earth shattering feats and you just can 't sing a song about Him saying"You are easy to love". At least in my estimate.
Not by power, not by might, but by my Spirit says the Lord.What do you think friends? Would you sing along with Dr.M?
I 'd rather sing along with the Psalmist the Psalm 139.Where can I go from your Spirit O Lord?
Please pray for Pastor Shailendra he is writing his Masters of Theology exams on April 3rd and 4th.
Prem 's mom is stable.Although the damage to her lungs is irreparable. She is suffering from Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease or Type Two Respiratory Failure.The doctors are not sending her home.Remember the Jeyapauls in prayer.

16 Fertilize my soul:

Renae said...

Well, yes and no, in my opinion. On the one hand, He is the wonderful counselor, the almighty God, the everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace. He is our Comforter, our Provider, our Refuge. All of those aspects of God, of the Holy Spirit, are easy to love.

Then again, why do so many reject Him? Because to love Him has its difficulties as well. For me, there have been seasons when He is easy to love, and seasons when it has not been so easy.

I am difficult to love, yet He loves me anyway.

Perhaps the writer of the song was expressing his feelings during a particular season of his life.

Good thoughts, Amrita! Thanks!

--r

Kate said...

I would definitely say that the Holy Spirit is NOT easy to love. Some people (Eli Wiesel, for example) struggle with loving God in the face of evil and atrocities. Others, like me, don't even get THAT far, but are hung up on questions of faith. It is the woprk of a lifetime.

Louise said...

No, I would not be singing with "Dr." M ... I do not care for this man's theology as it's not Scriptural.

As far as being 'easy' to love .. if that is possible at all, it has nothing to do with US .. it would be because our precious Lord has given us the strength and ability to love Him. We can claim nothing in ourselves. All we have has come from the Father.

the mother of this lot said...

Keeping everyone in my prayers Amrita!

Vicki said...

We can't even love Him at all, unless He enables us...we love because He *first* loved us. I don't care for Murdock myself...so many who are on TV now are spreading a false doctrine. But you are wise because you have His Holy Spirit.

I am praying for Prem's mother, my friend. {hugs}}

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi Amrita,
Yes, I already heard the music of Sonic Flood and have seen the video footages taken in India. It is so disheartening to note that India and the Philippines are so beset with superstitions that the wrath of God is poured out on both nations. It is up for us Christians to educate our less informed brothers about the Gospel messages of salvation, love, joy and peace. You should not take offense with that phrase that the Holy Spirit is easy to love for that is the truth. The Holy Spirit is the very epitome of love, power and wisdom. God has manifested Himself to us in two opposite ways- His transcendence, that means we can not cope up with Him because He is beyond our ability to fully grasp His fullness and splendor, and His immanence, that is He is so real like Jesus Christ who lived and died just like any normal human being, but He lived again to show us the promise of eternal life. We know Him more by having an intimate relationship with Him where He reveals Himself to us. Jeremiah 29: 13-14 says, "You will seek Me and find Me if you seek Me with all your heart; I will be found by you, declares he Lord." Your relationship should be between you and God. Look not on other people for you will only stumble because of them. To avoid becoming self righteous or stumbling because of others, "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith." (Hebrews 12:2a) Thank you so much my sister in Christ and God bless you and your loved ones always.

Donetta said...

Don't know the song and I don't know the fellow but I sure feel the strife.
Avoid strife and contention. Sounds like your days are stressful and full. I hope peace for you a a nice cup of warm tea in the garden.

Jeanette said...

Hi Amrita! I have not been able to visit and comment as much as I would like the last couple of weeks, but I have enjoyed and benefited from all the things you have written.

Thanks for asking such an interesting question. I think that we are, in general, not careful enough about the theology of our music and not concerned enough about the testimony of the singer.

One thing Jesus did say is easy:
"Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matt 11:29,30)

Amrita said...

Thank you all my dear friends for your comments and observations. I really appreciate all the feedback. Its a mini Bible discussion.

Gos is my friend, Jesus is my brother and the Holy Spirit is my Comforter.I can call God Daddy, Papa and Abba. Yet at the same time fall to the ground in worship like what is taking place before the throne of God in heaven as described in the book of Revelation.

We have to keep everything in balance.
Some people only respect and admire God and have no fear of Him.
The Bible says;"The fear of the Lord is the begining of wisdom.

God bless you all.I really value your reactions.

Sara said...

good to visit you this morning Amrita. have a blessed day!

Pat said...

Amrita, those flowers are so beautiful...
I have enjoyed reading everyone's comments on your question...through the answers and being sensitive to the Holy Spirit, you are able to descern the truth. I find a lot of liberties are taken in song lyrics, and I too have been taken aback by some of them and don't agree with them. Like Vicki said, wisdom comes with having the Holy Spirit dwell within you. Thanks for challenging us to 'think deeper'.

Felisol said...

Dear Amrita,
I agree that words about Jesus and The Holy Spirit should be carefully chosen.
Nevertheless this song written by Fanny Cosby has been a favorite since childhood.

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
O what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
born of his Spirit, washed in his blood.
Refrain:
This is my story, this is my song,
praising my Savior all the day long;
this is my story, this is my song,
praising my Savior all the day long.

2. Perfect submission, perfect delight,
visions of rapture now burst on my sight;
angels descending bring from above
echoes of mercy, whispers of love.
(Refrain)

3. Perfect submission, all is at rest;
I in my Savior am happy and blest,
watching and waiting, looking above,
filled with his goodness, lost in his love.
(Refrain)
I am as always enclosing you and yours in my prayers.
From Felisol

monsoon dreams said...

hi amrita,
good to hear that aunt Sybil is better and prem's mom is stable.

Roo said...

hi amrita! your flowers aresooooo amazing! i would love to see them in person. i can't wait till the flowers start to bloom out here. our snow is not completely gone yet.

Angie said...

I always love your flowers.

I stay away from Mike Murdoch. I frequently get a check in my spirit when I hear him speak or teach.

Such a nice meeting place you have here!

Kostas said...

Splendid the flowers, and the comment also informative, that is to say one marvellous post!