Tuesday 5 May 2009

Happy Silver

May 5, 2009


This day comes once after 25 years.Happy Silver Wedding Anniversary
PREM AND ANJU


In those days there was no Internet
so we had the traditional ceremony

A Pastor who is now a Bishop remarked that this
ceremony was an outstanding example
of a believer 's wedding
and he encouraged others
to follow its example.
______


The wedding cake is


huge as there are lots of guests.


I must add that the cake is not as expensive as it is


in the West. And one can choose


according to their


spending power.Traditionally the groom pays for it and also


gifts the bride her reception sari.


The expenses are shared between the families of the bride and groom


and close relatives also help.


Parents save for their daughter 's wedding and


sometimes take out loans.






The bride wears white for the


church ceremony and red or


her preferred color for the


reception and dinner.
___________________


I read an article about marriage which I


want to share with you.


"Marriage comes with a built in abhorrence


of self centeredness.In the dream world of mankind 's


complacent separateness, amidst all our pleasant little fantasies


of omnipotence and blamelessness and self-sufficiency,marriage explodes like a bomb.


It runs an aggravating interference pattern,


an unrelenting guerrilla warfare against selfishness.


It attacks people 's vanity and lonely pride


in a way that a few other things can,


tirelessly exposing the necessity


of giving and sharing,


the absurdity of blame.


Angering,humiliating,melting,


chastening, purifying, it touches us


where we hurt most, in the place of


our lovelessness.


Dragging us into lifelong encounters


which at times may be full of boredom,


tension,unpleasantness or grief,


marriage challenges us to abandon


everything for the sake of love."


(Mike Mason - The Mystery of Marriage-


As Iron Sharpens Iron)
_______


The single life also confronts our egos


but without the struggles a mate


adds to it.

14 Fertilize my soul:

Felisol said...

Dear Amrita,
There sure are pros and cons both single and married life.
I congratulate the happily married silver jubilee couple.
That 7 store cake must be worth a fortune in itself. I guess I've only seen it in movies..
Hope both your mother and you are feeling better today.
You sure had a tough yesterday.
From Felisol

Amrita said...

Hi Felisol, In India the cake is not as expensive as in the West. You can choose what kind you want according to your spending power. But is a cultural nessecity.
Traditionally the groom pays for the cake and he also gifts the bride her reception sari. So the expenditure is divided.
My mother is better. Thank you for your prayers. I have Serina also in my prayers.

LisaShaw said...

Thank you for sharing this beauitful ceremony and adventure with us. Blessings to the 25 yr married couple. Awesome!

Jeanette said...

What a great post! Thanks for the funny cartoons, Amrita. I especially like the second one!

25 years is a such a wonderful milestone, especially these days. Congratulations to Anju and Prem!

(I really like your explanations of how things are done in India, Amrita. It is so interesting to me.)

Crown of Beauty said...

COngratulations to the lovely couple. I loved the short article you quoted. It gripped my heart Amrita. It is so true.

Blessings to you and your mom.

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Happy 25th wedding anniversary to Prem and Anju. The article on marriage is very enlightening indeed.
Thanks for the post. God bless you always.

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

I like the sari she chose for the reception.

My son saw a new doctor today, and she is originally from India. She wears a smartly tailored suit and lab coat, but in her office are pictures of her in beautiful saris, and she is just dripping with gold.

Julie said...

Thanks for sharing the traditions, that would be great everyone sharing the expenses and I loved the cake. So beautiful an 25 years, a blessing.

Dick said...

Congratulations to the couple, nice post.

Sherri Murphy said...

Happy silver Anniversary!

And may I say that you look stunning in red!

You are beautiful.

Tikno said...

I'm smile and happy for you.
Congratulation!

STACY'S TRIP said...

Thank you for this post. It is funny how sometimes the spirit gives you something through another. I am struggling with these very things in my marriage. I even contemplate.....well nevermind. Thank you. IN HIM, the crazy girl in America.

Amrita said...

Dear Tikno,thank you for visiting my blog all the way from Indonesia.

Dear Stacey, I was very moved by your testimony.

Terry said...

oh amrita!
anju and prem's silver anniversary and i missed it...
oh dear...i have their email address and i will surely send them a card.
i feel so bad that i missed it dear amrita!...
you really did them up in great style.....love terry