Friday 29 May 2009

Park-ing

The sky was overcast this morning
bringing the temperature down to the
mid 90s with a cool breeze.
So we set off to a children 's park after finishing
house chores
This park is known by many names
Japanese Park
Haathi or Elephant Park
Children 's Park
its latest nomenclature is after a religious icon

A kiosk selling drinks and snacks.

This little guy was minding the ice cream cart
while his grandpa rested on a bench

A slide in the shape of an elephant

Abner zipping down

Abner playing with the kids of
a Muslim family.
I imagined the father works in a middle east
country and was home on a family visit.
Taking advantage of good weather he brought his burqa clad wife and 8 children for an outing.
On another slide


Some kids with their dog
Abner on top of a play sculpture

Because of the heat there were hardly any flowers
But lots of greenery


Caught human love-birds
away from the madding crowd.
As we were leaving something really funny happened.
I was taking all these photos
and someone must have observed this.
A boy approached me assuming
I was a professional photographer
and requested me to take their photos.
I very politely told him I
could not do this
as I am an amateur.

When we returned home after 2 hours
in a relaxed atmosphere
my peace was shattered
to see my mother very upset and gloomy.
Some boys had jumped into our campus and ignited a fire
in a wooded area on the far side of the church.
The fire was in control. Our church handy man
had done the job.
But my mom was not convinced.
She was was also having an upset tummy.
Anxiety sets it off.
Because of mother 's health
I walk on egg-shells
a knife blade and pins and needles at times.
I get tied up in knots, its hard to explain.
Sonia is a great support. She will stay another week.
Later on when the church worker came and
told mother that all was well
she relaxed and had some food.
Anyway I am glad
for the pleasant morning
we had at the park.

18 Fertilize my soul:

Felisol said...

Dear Amrita,
I'm happy for the children in the park.
In a world of so much evil they give hope.
For your sake I hope that your mother's anxiety does not ruin your day too.
There is only so much to be done to help the crippling anxiety.
In some way you have to protect yourself and your own joys of life.
I'm sure you ca remember your mother when she was a strong and healthy teacher.
I hope that she somehow may see the lights of life instead of the threatening dark.
It is a burden of so many elderly.
Your mother is blessed to have you taking care of her.
Perhaps you can get her some strengthening herb tea?
Sunshine is also good.
"If the eye is dark, the whole body becomes dark."

I wish you all well.
From Felisol

Gerry said...

Where else but in India would I expect to see a slide coming out of the mouth of an elephant, which reminds me of how much I loved stories of working elephants and their mahouts (name). I guess it was because of my relationship with working horses. How old is your mother? Perhaps she had to fight too much worry and now it may threaten to engulf her, but it sounds like you were able to calm her and assure her a crisis had been taken care of. I know from childhood experience that too much worry can overcome the nervous system so that it does not react normally.

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Amrita, I feel for you. It is a miserable situation! It is doubly upsetting to have to handle not only your mother's anxiety, but your resulting anxiety from this personality change she has undergone. Someone said, "Old age is not for sisssies" and they weren't kidding!

Kathryn said...

What a lovely park. I'm so glad you had a good time.

I'm sorry for the issues with your mother. Wish we could do something to make it better. I know what it is like to be on the blade of a knife all the time.

Have you ever considered EFT with her? I know many Christian people who use it & find it helps greatly. If you're interested, email me & i'll send you info. It might help with her anxiety level, or yours. That is one of its best uses.

Blessings on you. Will continue to pray. :)

Donetta said...

Your photography is not so amiture as your might think. those were lovely images.
The day at the park was just the medicine for your own soul. Keep up on the outings to refresh your soal. There is a battle going on yes...do not let it rob the joys of your days. Then YOu win.

Sorry the stress of it. perhaps it is a thing to think at that moment with her

"It's no wonder..."Mother is mother (breath) think on these thing that are good and righteous so on.
She will be who she is as you are who you are. Boundary your soul with homor and kindness.

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Yes, those are wonderful photos you took at the park. Taking pictures in a kid's park is surely very relaxing. Entrust your mother to the Lord and He will definitely take care of her. No use suffering so much mental anguish because of your mother. Did not the Lord say not to worry? Thanks for the post. God bless you always.

Annie K said...

Amrita, I always love your pictures! Imagine if you were here taking pictures and I was there taking pictures. I wonder what we could capture...

I am sorry to hear about your mom, but know that you two are always in my prayers.

Oh, and the women dress so colorfully there. I love it!

Mark said...

Nice park... lots of green.. A lot more greenery than our small local park or most parks (except National Parks) in Taiwan!

Amrita said...

Thank you so much friends for providing encouragement and emotional suport.

Mom is better this morning.She is watching Cartoon Network with Abner. Sometimes she watches too much stress inducing news and soaps for her good.

She is up and down during the day.And I go up and down with her. Its like emotional bungy jumping. LOL

Crown of Beauty said...

Dear Amrita,
It was a good and cool break for you, so glad you could enjoy the park and take pictures. Picture taking is therapeutic, and you always enjoy the results once you see them. How happy Abner looks.

I can understand that you are on an emotional bungy jumping spree with your mom. It does seem like so much depends on you. I pray that God will help you lift the physical and emotional burden.

Blessings on your day.

Janice: AKA Nanny said...

Amitra, I really enjoyed the pictures of the park and the children. I know how it is when parents get older and their personality changes. It is a day-to-day struggle. My Dad is especially difficult. He is now dependent on the care of others but soon may be. He is 83. Most of his challenges (or should I say mine) are about his attitude. He gets angry over the smallest things.

I will be praying that you will have refreshing from the Holy Spirit to encourage you today.

Annette said...

Thank you for sharing you day with us, I love to sit and watch children, they are so innocent and pure, well at least some, the ones that caused that little fire at your church, need to go that church and have Jesus, shame on them!
I'm sorry, so sorry, that you feel like you have to walk on needles around your mom, but I understand, believe me I do, but if you don't take care of it some how, it will bring you down, I'm speaking from experience sweet heart, pray about it, pray for your mom, poor thing, I know I will, anxiety is an awful thing to have, you have no control when it's going flare up, does she take medicine of some kind for it?
hugs~
Annette

Herrad said...

Hello Amrita,

Came by to say hello and to wish you a good weekend.

Love,

Herrad

Nina in Portugal said...

Amrita, the pictures are beautiful!

The park was very interesting for me to see.

I'm sorry about the campus and your mother's health. I hope she is feeling better.

Mrs. Mac said...

Amrita,

I so enjoyed your park outing pictures and the 'fruit 101 lesson' that you displayed. I pray that your mom's health and anxiety are getting better.

Hugs,

Danielle&Hannah said...

Hello Amrita,
A colleague of mine who researches Biological Sciences shares the same name as you. That was a nice surprise the other day. It caused me to think on you. I too am familiar with the effects of anxiety.

Our Heavenly Father says to us to "be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." Philippians 4:6
because the next verse says, "And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
and finally.... another verse...
"Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things."

cheers,
Danielle :-)

David Edward said...

thanks for the joy of sharing your day out... it was lovely

Jana said...

Looks like you had a lovely day. Your pictures are wonderful. I am glad you mother was finally calmed down and ate.