Sunday 21 June 2009

Summer Solstice - June 21


This is a captivating video from Salten, Norway displaying the magical Northern Lights or Aurora Borealis. My Norwegian friends Felisol,Brit and Bestemor Aud will enjoy these splendid heavenly fireworks

June 21 is Summer Solstice when the sun is directly above the Tropic of Cancer (23.5* N Lat.) which passes through Mexico, Sahara - Africa , India and S E Asia.


It means that summer has officially arrived in the Northern Hemisphere. But for us living in the tropics its mid-summer. Our summer in North India begins in March.

Today the Arctic will have its longest day. Friends in Norway can have a midnight garden party.And the Antarctic will have its longest night ...poor penguins.


But I am categorically euphoric as the hot orb will be travelling to lands down under from now on.

I took this photo of an eclipse last August

Its thrilling to see how God had ordained the times and seasons. Each whisper of the universe is decreed by Him.

Psalm 19
For the choir director: A psalm of David. 1 The heavens proclaim the glory of God. The skies display his craftsmanship. 2 Day after day they continue to speak; night after night they make him known. 3 They speak without a sound or word; their voice is never heard.[a] 4 Yet their message has gone throughout the earth, and their words to all the world.
God has made a home in the heavens for the sun. 5 It bursts forth like a radiant bridegroom after his wedding. It rejoices like a great athlete eager to run the race. 6 The sun rises at one end of the heavens and follows its course to the other end. Nothing can hide from its heat.
7 The instructions of the Lord are perfect, reviving the soul. The decrees of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple. 8 The commandments of the Lord are right, bringing joy to the heart. The commands of the Lord are clear, giving insight for living. 9 Reverence for the Lord is pure, lasting forever. The laws of the Lord are true; each one is fair. 10 They are more desirable than gold, even the finest gold. They are sweeter than honey, even honey dripping from the comb. 11 They are a warning to your servant, a great reward for those who obey them.
12 How can I know all the sins lurking in my heart? Cleanse me from these hidden faults. 13 Keep your servant from deliberate sins! Don’t let them control me. Then I will be free of guilt and innocent of great sin.
14 May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.

Psalm 19 New Living Translation Bible

17 Fertilize my soul:

Felisol said...

DEar Amrita,
Aurora Borealis is a spectacular sight, particularly around mid winter.
Green is often sen, so is indigo.
We have a wonderful Lord, blessing us with so many of his wonders.
One just have to be awake and alert to see and accept.
From Felisol

Michelle said...

Thanks for posting the video! It was cool! :)

Amrita said...

Hi Felisol, its certainly an enthralling sight. The sky lit up with beautiful colors. Like a mighty angel painting with a giant paint brush.How awesome it will be when Jesus returns to take us up in the sky - His return on the clouds will be an imcomparable sight and fearful too.

Hi Michelle , found that video really awesome.

Brit. (lille meg) said...

Beautiful! And yes, I enjoyed it, really! In my homeplace we doesn't have this northern light. It is too far south. But I have been lucky to see it. My husband and I was to the Northern Norway. A beautiful sight!
Thank you for sharing!
Have a nice Sunday!

Sherri Murphy said...

WOW! I've never seen the video before, only photos. Thank you. WOW!

"The heavens declare the glory of the Lord."

Sita said...

What a great post on the Lord's day that evokes the worship of our mighty Creator. Wonderful Scripture.
Have a great week, Amrita.

Paresh Palicha said...

Splendid Video Sis :)

Saija said...

i remember being being finland twice, for their midnight sun celebrations .... bonfires were lit by the water and lots of good food was spread out for all to enjoy ... wonderful celebration ...

blessings on your sunday!

Bestemor Aud said...

Wonderful to see the Northern Light again in this video. We've lived in Tromsø and Lofoten for about three years, and I've lived in Bodø (Salten) for three years before my marriage. So I have seen the Northern light many times. And yes, it is some of the most spectacular I've experienced!
Psalm 19 fits very well - it is also a great testimony of our Lords greatness and love. We always need to be reminded of it - despite we can see it before our eyes all the time!

Buttercup said...

I'd love to see the Northern Lights. Thanks for this great post. I get a little sad as our days start to get shorter. Sometime in August it gets to me that the days grow shorter and winter is coming. But now I rejoice in the long days! Prayers for your sister and mother.

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

I hope it starts cooling down soon for you there, Amrita!

How are Namrita and Mother Hazel doing? The heat abating would do them good, I know that.

Crown of Beauty said...

Hi, please visit my June 21 blog post. I have something for you there.

Debra said...

awesome video Amrita...thanks for sharing. I love looking at the Northern Lights!

Julia Dutta said...

I just received Drops from a leaking Tap Amrita and am thrilled. Will drown in it shortly! may even do a review at some point:)))
Julia

Amrita said...

Thank you friends for such sweet comments.

Hi Penni, Mom feels the heat too badly.Hope the rains come soon.

So glad you received the book Julia. Would like to rwad your review.
Was too busy and electricity-less today to watch the Lalgarh hot pursuit. CPI (M) is reaping the results of its neglect and high-handedness.

Amrita said...

Thank you so much Lidj

David Edward said...

a wonderful psalm