Wednesday 10 June 2009

Thirst Quencher

While shopping with Sonia in an old part of town
we had fresh sugarcane juice to quench our thirst.
I had it for the very first time in my life from a roadside seller.
It was deliciously refreshing.
He served us the juice in glasses and being doubtful of
how clean they were
so I poured it down my throat
causing it to dribble down my chin.
The man gave me another half glass free because
I lost some of the drink.
These pictures are from the web.


BENEFITS OF SUGAR CANE JUICE
Fresh raw sugar cane has less calories than refined sugar or syrup
It is pretty good for digestion and can also work as a mild laxative due to its high potassium content.
It is also high in magnesium, calcium and riboflavin (Vitamin B2).
Traditionally, drinking sugar cane juice is good to ‘cool’ down the body especially during hot, humid weather like what we have here.
Best of all is that the fresh sugar cane juice is sweet to drink but it is not as bad / unhealthy as drinking syrup!
*************
"Whoever is thirsty,let him come
and whoever wishes let him take
the free gift of the
water of life"
Revelation 22:17 (Bible)
********

15 Fertilize my soul:

David Edward said...

Shalom, dear friend

Buttercup said...

Sounds delicious. Wish I was there to try it. Continued prayers for your mother.

Mrs. Mac said...

a day or so ago i tried to post a comment ... but no luck ... so, Hi .. Amrita from Idaho ... home of the famous Idaho potatoes ... lucky for Nathan he lives here ... his favorite food is french fries ;)

Your sugar cane juice machine posted here is very interesting. I suppose the juice would be good for you in a relatively unprocessed state.

I hope to send you an email soon.

Hugs,

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

I grew up near sugarcane fields. We would just go over and get some, peel the cane and bite on it, pressing the juice out. There's nothing like it!

I'm glad you got to try some. Too bad about the questionable cleanliness of the glass! Maybe it was just "organic" dirt.

Amrita said...

Hello pals,

When we were kids Papa used to get cane from the market. We peeled it and cut it up (like Penni) and chewed on it to get the sweet juice, primitive but fun. Papa got the soft canes.

Hi Mrs Mac, I love potatoes and I know Idaho is famous the world over for them. How is Nate doing? Enjoying summer holidays I suppose.
Looking forward to your email.

Hi Penni, they wash the glasses with unclean water, that 's why one has to be careful.He had disposible ones too but you had to pay more for them.Next time I will take my flask.
Cane juice is the common/poor man 's "cola".

Its good for people recovering from disease. People with jaundice or hepatitis are given sugarcane juice traditionally.

Felisol said...

Dear Amrita,
Next time you are going to buy sugarcane drink, bring a straw with from home! Or would that be impolite?
The drink sounds both delicious and more healthy than our sugar or even worse no sugar drinks.
I hope Sonia and you are having a good time together.
You sure need some relaxation.
Praying for all of you.
From Felisol

Amrita said...

Good idea Felisol. This was an unplanned thing. Otherwise I would have taken a termos flask along.

Mrs Mac the machine is manually operated winding up type. Good for the enviroment. There are electric ones too at the more fancy places.

Sita said...

Hey Amrita,
Sugar cane plantations used to be 'big' in Trinidad until they discovered oil was more profitable.
I remember our Dad peeling cane for us to suck on. I even remember a school trip to see how sugar was produced.

This post brought back memories. I did not even know that sugar cane juice had so many good uses.

Hey it even brings back..."Sugar..ummm..oh honey honey..." remember that old song (-;
Blessings to you
Sita

Paresh Palicha said...

Hi Sister, my mummy is from Mumbai. Where having food isn't considered unhygienic. So, have had sugarcane from the roadside vendor every time I went there.

Here sugarcane juice is rarity. We get it only in fairs during Onam festival or Christmas.

Donetta said...

This sounds like a wonderful adventure. I remember as a girl that the cane could sometimes be purchased at the grocery store. I recall having one length of about 6 inches all to myself. It was a real treasure.
I am so glad that your getting out and having some pleasure.
Taste and He is Good:)

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Amrita:)

Greetings:)

Very interesting and informative post.

This reminds of the days in Bhopal when we used to have sugarcane juice in summer not only to quench the thirst but they say it also cools the body. They add a little lime to it. We get sugarcane juice juice here also when there are exhibitions.

I pray for your mother's health.

The photos are lovely.

Best wishes Amrita:)
Joseph

Sincerity said...

What a fascinating post! I never knew about sugarcane juice before. Nor did I know how beneficial it is to the human body! I learned something knew today! :)

I'm with you about eating and drinking from clean dishes. Hopefully this one time won't hurt anything. :)

LOL I so wish I could taste the juice now!

Kathryn said...

YUMmy!! Wish I had some, Amrita! I look forward to trying some one day. :-)

Simply Shelley said...

Hi Amrita,a very interesting post. I remember as a little girl chewing and sucking the juice from a sugar cane..much better than candy! Hope all is well with you...

Blessings,Shelley

ChrisB said...

I've often wondered what this tasted like but I doubt I'll ever get the opportunity to try it.