Wednesday 14 November 2007

Children 's Day



Children's Day is celebrated to honor childhood and is celebrated on 14th November in India, the date which marks the birth anniversary of independent India's first Prime minister-Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru. Nehru was born on November 14. He belonged to my hometown and his palatial house is now a museum.After his death in year 1963, his birthday has been celebrated as children's day. The reason of celebrating his birthday as children's day is because of his love and passion for children. That 's the reason he is also known as Chacha (Uncle)Nehru. Apart from being known for his skills as a statesman, Nehru was also immensely fond of children.

However, 20th November is universally celebrated as Children 's Day. 14th Nov. is marked with a lot of activities for children. But the fact remains that only a section of the country’s children actually have an opportunity to celebrate their existence. Schools organize events and activities that their students thoroughly enjoy, but there is an entire populace of young ones that are left ignored on this special day – the downtrodden street children.


Some of the plagues which infect our children are, infant mortality, female infanticide,child labour, human trafficking,illiteracy, disease, malnutrition and abuse. What are we doing for the next generation ?
Please say a prayer for the children of India

-------------------------------------------

I want to say Thank You to all my friends for their kind comments regarding my photography.I just want to show you a little glimpse of my life , community and surroundings.

5 Fertilize my soul:

Rebecca said...

Childrens Day - what an amazing idea...I have never heard of it. But speaking as a new Grandmother (one year only) I am all for it!

Anonymous said...

children's day... sounds interesting. we don't have that here but that's a great idea - to celebrate a day for children.

Aura said...

In Portugal, Childrens Day is celebrated 1st of June.I never forget bcoz its my hubbys birthday and usually his kids( now adults & w/ their own family) ) will remind him that its their day too!

So sad and so true about street children being treated as cast aways..but then this problem is the same in rich countries

Pijush said...

Oh I am sorry I could not check you blog, and missed so many good posts.
Your blog is really wonderful.

Amrita, I promised to donate, so please drop me a mail with the details (best will be check for me) and I will send it ASAP. Sorry again as I had no connection in home.

Donetta said...

I so love that you have a camera now.