Thursday 8 November 2007

Diwali - The Festival of Lights

To me Diwali means dazzling lamps, brightly lit streets and houses, sweets and fireworks.










Diwali is one of the major Hindu festivals, it is celebrated to commemorate the return of the Hindu god Rama and his consort Sita to their kingdom Ayodhya after fourteen years of exile. Though, Diwali is mainly a five- day festival people prepare for Diwali weeks ahead by cleaning and decorating their homes. on Diwali night innumerable lamps are lit on the roofs and windowsills of the houses. These days its electric lights .It is said that Lakshmi, Goddess of wealth roams the earth on this day and enters the house that is pure, clean and brightly illuminated. Young and old, men and women, all dress up in new clothes . They worship the deities, Lakshmi and Ganesha, and share sweets and gifts with their relatives and friends. It is also the beginning of the new financial year for the business community. However, it is the crackers and the fireworks that attract the kids the most and form the highlight of the festival. People gamble all night to usher in good luck and thieves go out to try their luck, if they are successful they will prosper all year round. So there are many robberies committed during this festival time.

When we were growing up we also illuminated our house with candles and oil lamps and burst baskets full of loud and colorful fire-crackers.Tomorrow is the main celebration .All day long people will be bursting crackers and at night the sky all around with be be lit up with fireworks.It also adds up to the nose and air pollution, and there are many accidents too.
Seeing my city lit up beautifully I am drawn to the Bible verses which say
Psalm 27;1 The Lord is my LIGHT and my salvation
Matthew 8;12 Jesus spoke to them saying,"I am the LIGHT of the world,he who follows Me shall not walk in the darkness but shall have the LIGHT of life".
Matthew 5;14 (Jesus says to us)"You are the LIGHT of the world.A city set on a hill cannot be hidden.
v 16"Let your LIGHT so shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven."
-------------------------------------
One of my blogfriends wondered if Diwali celebrations cost so much how can the poor people (a majority) afford to celebrate. They can 't celebrate at this level. Their celebrations are very simple and rustic.

15 Fertilize my soul:

Kate said...

WOW! Look at those fireworks!

Dick said...

Oh, beautiful photos.

Susannah said...

I'm here via Ruth's blog "It's true sighed Roo." So nice to meet you! I did not know anything about this Hindu festival. Isn't it interesting that most cultures celebrate a festival of lights?

Jesus is indeed the True light of the world.

Blessings, e-Mom :~)

Pat said...

What beautiful photos, you enlighten me every day about your corner of the world.
It is a reminder of the light of the Father that needs always to shine so brightly within us. I love the way you ended with those precious Bible verses.

Donetta said...

This is so amazing to see the worship of others gods so plain. I see it more covertly in the states It the god=ego

Anonymous said...

looks like Christmas and New year in one!

Rebecca said...

Diwali is also celebrated by many people in the UK...in fact we hear more about it than we do about other religious festivals celebrated by other religions outside of Christianity. I guess that is because it is so bright and so colourful, and with the fireworks .... well, we all relate to those things!

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Hi My dearest friend,
I wished you already a fantastic DILAWI, but never enough my dear, again a happy light festival!:)

BTW;) I leave for a week to paris for my birthday ,and our 20th anniversary, I left a slideshow from my last nature-works, Leaving-leaves, please take a look,

Miss you JoAnn :)

Donetta said...

Hello Dear Sister, I hope you had a very peaceful day. Don't let those three Elders drive you bonkers.
Be Embraced~
Remember :) This to shall pass...:)

Kimmie said...

Wow, hard to believe with so much beautiful light that they don't know the Light or the Truth, which is only found in Christ Jesus.

May your life be a light in the darkness (spiritual) and may you shine from glory to Glory for Him.

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

Anonymous said...

Some very beautiful shots for the occassion...I like all of them & the description is also lovely reading...Blessed & beautiful post!

On another note the word Festival in the title of the post has been mis-spelt. You can correct it & repost this post!...Have a wonderful time with lots of sweets & bursting crackers!

Donetta said...

Hi, I bet that honey is divine (church property and all) har har :)
They must have so many pretty treasures. I saw a woman tat at I craft show I had a both at last Christmas season. She was so fast.
Does the acid of the lemon bother your joint swelling?

Leslie JS said...

perhaps Christmas there should renamed as Christ's Light Festival...

Becky Wolfe said...

Thanks so much for sharing yet another interesting fact on the festival. I bet it is a beautiful thing to behold in person.

And to tie it in so perfectly with the true Light of the World! Praise God that His light will never go out!

nvittal said...

Beautiful pics! You are far better than me in camera work!