Monday 21 January 2008

Green Stuff




Broccoli and tomatoes growing in our garden.We called up our American friend and asked her if she wanted some broccoli as it is rare and very expensive here and she was very willing to have some.The ones we harvested are much larger than the one shown here.

7 Fertilize my soul:

Natalie said...

I love your new blog look!

Amrita said...

Thank you Holy Chaos.

Mrs. Mac said...

Amrita ... Do you know what I'd give right now to have some home grown tomatoes?????????? I'm dreaming about the summer ahead when I can go and pick to my heart's content tomato, tomato, tomato, tomatoes!!!!!!!! My pantry has just one jar of homemade salsa from last summer ... guess I'd better make a bigger batch this year. Then I freeze diced tomatoes to use in spaghetti, chili and winter dishes ... but, alas too, my freezer supply is gone. I should go write a post about tomatoes, ya think???

Aphra said...

I don't think I've ever seen how broccoli grows before!
It is true- hame grown tomatoes taste way better than store bought ones. I wish I could grow them! (but I have no green thumb)

Anonymous said...

we used to grow tomatoes at our front yard when we were kids. i love the time when we could pick them and bring them to mom for cooking.

Anonymous said...

We grew tomatoes at Tracadie-Sheila ,New Brunswick last summer.We found out its better to buy small plants and put it in your garden as the seaoson just too short.We took out green ones and had to have them ripen at home.Do you have any suggestions on how to preserve them at home.The same with potatoes.I had a lot of potatoes and tomatoes getting spoilt.Kindly advise any proper temperatures or proper storage tecniques?Mom can help out i guess.

Amrita said...

Thank you friends for your comments.

I know mrs mac fresh tomatoes are so good. I don 't like canned ones.I make puree and keep it for a while.But not in the summer because of power cuts.

Its so good to luck veggies from your garden Pia. I must learn how to make bitter gourd soup.

Hi Prem, puree the tomatoes and store them. Harvest the potatoes onmy when the stalks have dried, that is an indication that they are ready. maybe you took them out too soon.